Senior Project, interested??

Discussion in 'Young reefing forum' started by BadOmen, Mar 12, 2014.

1. BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    As some of you know I got to the S.E.S(School of Environmental Studies) and as a senior we have to do a big final project called our "Senior Project". Obviously I naturally want to do mine on something related to this hobby and although it is a stretch, I'm going to try and make it easy, affordable and fun(along with providing purpose).

How do I plan on doing this? Well I'm hoping to provide 2 simple options. Either

a.) The coral route, where me and maybe some very generous volunteers(???) would help teach people(most likely highschoolers, but could really be anyone) how to make their own small AIO set-ups for basic, easy care of sessile invertebrates.

b.) The breeding route, I know this one is definitely a stretch but I have given this a month's thought and think it is still plausible. This one would entail almost the same thing as the coral route except the AIO would be tailored to Dwarf Seahorses. Dwarf Seahorses would be a perfect option for a small tank for beginners with little extra effort to raise the babies(since they'd already be fed live foods) which could easily spark interest in others' to delve deeper into the hobby. What I had also just came up with is the idea of adding a built in brine shrimp hatchery to the side so that it would be as simple and space-efficient as possible. Which brings me to my original reasoning for posting this... Is there any way to buy bulk Brine Shrimp Eggs?

So now that I've just sort of laid it out there, I have some drawings and design ideas but those are just a general sort of guideline. If this has sparked interest in ANYONE please feel free to PM me. Although this is a "school thing", they encourage us to get out into the community, so even if you read this and think you'd like to be a part of it, whether it be willing to volunteer, donate or if you want to build one of these yourself you're more than welcome to. I will accept critiques ONLY if by doing so you're benefiting the well-being of the project. I don't care about nay-sayers and I don't care about pessimists, I know this isn't very refined yet and could very well fail, but I'm at least going to give it a genuine shot. This isn't 100% official yet as we need to go through our teachers to approve our projects first but I'd like to gauge some interest.

If you're a sponsor and are willing to contribute or know a company/person outside of TCMAS you feel I should get in touch with please PM me and I will either Email or Call you and you'd have my sincere gratitude! Or if you're just a regular 'ol hobbyist that is willing to contribute too!

2. Travis Dragan

Travis Dragan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Is this project more about the fabrication of the aio system, or more about the inhabitants?

3. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Never really thought about that. I guess probably more about the inhabitants. The making of the aio system is more just to have a customizable and cheap alternative to buying AIOs and a way to get the person more involved in the process along with some DIY experience.

4. Jager

Jager TCMAS Event Committee
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Both are good topics, for corals i would focus on a presentation about aquaculturing and how that is helping the environment.

Some aquaculture farms are not there to sustain our hobby, but actually to help sustain reefs. Some are for both. Being that your focus should be environmental studies i wouldnt focus on aquariums but more so how the hobby has helped studies and improvments in the environment. You will also need to cover how the selfish people in the hobby have also started to negatively impact the environment or suposedly done so.

With breeding you have some outstanding references within TCMAS in Chad Vossen and Matt Pederson. An equally important discussion about captive breeding fish and its advancement would be beneficial, you can discuss how it not only has reduced wild farming but also has helped scientists learn about breeding habbits of fish and inverts and helped them aid endangered species repopulate. The Banggai Cardinal is an excelent reference for this.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. DjScRiBbLe

Fishies collected:
    How are things there? In went to ses junior/senior year. I ended up with 2 study halls senior year so I bred seahorses for credit. Was fun. But a lot of work and time. Basically a full time job. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

6. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Cool, what year did you graduate? Things have been going well here.

#6 BadOmen, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  7. DjScRiBbLe

Fishies collected:
    08. Awesome school.

8. OP
    BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Fishies collected:
    Did you know a Robert Preston by any chance? Graduated around the same time, had the wind turbine as his senior project.

9. DjScRiBbLe

Fishies collected:
    Name sounds very familiar. Tbh I haven't spoken to anyone from school, well since school.