Snodgrass/Turf 300gal help n' build start.

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by RSnodgrass, Jul 2, 2017.

1. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    It's official, I'm starting a new build thread. Many of the details are decided on but I could use a little help on some and yes there will be photos.

First thank you to Cypho for watching my most prized possessions for the last 2 months successfully!

All of my corals and fish are now in an 80 gallon tub.
    IMG_20170702_121404043.jpg IMG_20170702_121412788_HDR.jpg

#1 RSnodgrass, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  2. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    First big question and I'm really just looking for input from someone with experience on both of these lighting fixtures since people are happy with both and because my eyes have crossed.

KESSIL AP700 vs Radion g4 or simply more of the Kessil 360w-e's which is my go to. I like the 360 Kessil more for the singular point of light, more even disbursement, and lower price point. Can any competently say the quality of the light or the longevity of the product is better?

I was guessing that I'd need 3-4 units given the tank bracing and length of a 300 deep dimension and the if I go with the gen4's I want to know the extra cost is actually worth it.

#2 RSnodgrass, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  3. csb123

csb123 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I can't help with the Kessil vs Radion decision, but would encourage you to add some T5's to help reduce shadowing.

4. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to steer clear of t5's. Would go back to my 400w radiums again if not for the heat.

5. bdubz

bdubz Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I have 3 kessil a360we over my 6', 125 gallon tank. I used them for 2 years as my only light source but found that as the SPS colonies got bigger, I had too much shadowing. I added a retrofit, 2 bulb t5 to my floating canopy 6 months ago or so and couldn't be happier.

I only run the t5's for 4 hours a day, but the corals look much better with the added light.

6. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    How far above the tank are your Kessils?

7. cypho

cypho I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    If buying new, I vote 3 halides and 3 Kessil 360's. For the halides - 400's if you want to keep sps otherwise, 175's or 250's.

But since you don't have to start from scratch, if it were me, I would start with what you've already got and add to it. I would start by adding a 3rd light like what you have so have 1 per section (assuming you don't already have a 3rd). Then if you want more light add to it, it would be easy to sneak in 3 more Kessils.

8. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Yes it would be... I'm not convinced how much longer my 3 units will last. I replaced the fixtures on one last year and it definitely is producing hot spots. I might play around with removing the lenses which are focusing the light down and or raising the fixtures higher.

9. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    FWIW I am extremely happy with the coverage offered by my GHL Mitras lx7. One unit easily covers 36" tank assuming you place your corals intelligently. Much less shadowing than I've seen with a radion but doesn't quite compete with t5. Never used halides but from what I've read this is the closest an led comes to halide.

10. bdubz

bdubz Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    The lights are 11" above the tank.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Greentree

TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Can't wait to see this build!

• Like Like x 1
  12. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    House meeting!!! ;)

At this time, the only thing I can weigh in on is that I approve of the 300gal tank!
    I like my Radions, but I have no experience with any of the other newer LED fixtures available.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Couple of equipment updates provided by Jen at New Wave.

Tank: 300gal Deep Dimension "in wall" at the office. Considered having it at home for more space but I'm at work most of my day so that's where it's going.
    Lighting: 6 Radion g4's. Old lights will be used for frag/quarantine.
    Pumps: 2 VarioS 8 DC's. Opting for both to run as a return for built in redundancy, better options on feeding, and consistency of flow over time since I'll run them a little under full capacity. With any luck I can set up the return lines again to not need powerheads.
    Refugium/Top Off: Working on a basic custom to maximize stand space and I'll put in the baffling. I want to get away from the standard filter sock since it impedes my higher volume overflow. (Photos on this later).
    Controller: New full Apex. I'm finally coming into the 21st century. Not all of the functionality is usable to me at present (internet is an issue) however, there are enough other benefits to go big and leave room for improvement.
    Skimmer: Left over equipment, it's a little undersized but I don't run a lot of fish. Ex, I had 7 in my 210gal.
    Rock: Going to start figuring the layout, drilling, and epoxy where needed. Still have all my old rock... not sure that I'll add more even though it's bigger. Excited to see what I can come up with first!

#13 RSnodgrass, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  14. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Ahh, so sweet seeing these little tikes start out in life... :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Here is something I'd like some input on... how the tank will be in the wall as I keep going back and forth. Opinions welcome, I know the photos won't tell the whole story but it is what it is.

Options I'm considering with insurance limitations from the steel stand:

1)
    I set in wall 1-2" deep with crown molding sloped in and framing around... bit like a window.
    Pros: Keep the wall intact but cut into the chair rail. Less work. Won't hinder the office space any... namely my desk. Better top access on the other side of wall.
    Cons: Secondary office is more encroached.

2) Set out from the wall 6".
    Pros: More viability 3 sides.
    Cons: See all pros from prior.
    IMG_20170704_184514.jpg IMG_20170704_184432.jpg IMG_20170704_185659.jpg

16. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I've always thought the 6" set out option was cool, almost did something similar with mine but the logistics of it all are something I never really figured out. The side joints/seams would be bad enough to get to look good but the top part really gave me fits. Always thought having 6" available for feeing would be nice but then what is the structure across the top (the wall part) made out of. With open top tanks the environment would eat away most materials. Plus it all needs to open up likely for servicing (unless work all from the rear which think I've read sucks).

• Like Like x 1
  17. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    The "Jonty Approach" would help with having access to the front of the tank when having it built in-wall.

* "Jonty Approach" is having an opening above the tank that is covered by a panel that can be opened or removed for easy access to the front of the tank for feeding and maintenance.

• Like Like x 2
  18. cypho

cypho I contributed!

Fishies collected:
    I vote option 3. Customize the 300DD and move the overflows to the center of the short panels instead of in the corners. Then center the tank in the wall so that it sticks out 15 inches into each office. Aquascape with the rock pile in the center of the tank.

Neither office is encroached too much and both offices get equally good views into the tank.

• Like Like x 1
  19. cypho

cypho I contributed!

Fishies collected:
    If I have to pick between your two choices I would go with #2. In addition to the benefits you listed, you also gain access to the stand from both sides of the tank - easier access to more equipment in the stand. And I would be tempted to pull it more than 6" into the room. Bring it in enough that you get a decent view through the side panel.

• Like Like x 1
  20. OP
    RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    All very good points to consider...

- I overlooked the access to the front part! Could see where that would be... cough... challenging.
    - I should have clarified that in the current setup a permanent view through to the other office is not such a good thing. However, if I have a clear back I could have removable black plexiglass/PVC so I can see it from that side.

Time to get out the painter's tape to mark up the wall and floor for a better sense of space.