So I got a pond.....now what?

Discussion in 'All things freshwater related' started by curlyq, Jul 27, 2014.

1. curlyq

Fishies collected:
    Got up Saturday morning, and decided to put in a pond in my front entrance garden area. It's nothing fancy at all - just a 140 gallon pre-formed thing from Menards. I got it in the ground, water in, fish in (I know, i know, but my 3rd old talked me Into a couple goldfish at walmart). Now I don't know what to do.

Goal is to KISS. No external waterfall or external filtration if possible. Will be putting a fountain in the middle. Right now I have a MJ900 pointed at the surface for agitation. Water is very cloudy, can't see if the fish are alive or dead.

Can someone give me the really quick 101? I want to put some simple plants, and be able to see my fish. What do I need to do (remember, simple and cheap is good). image.jpg Help direct me!

2. TwinCities Dan

Fishies collected:
    I have a small planter that has a lily pad bulb in it. Just set it in the pond and lily pads will grow with flowers eventually. Then in the Fall, you just cut the lily pads off and throw the pot in a bag for the Winter. Throw it back in the pond in the Spring and start the whole process again. :)

3. N1ceDrgn

Fishies collected:
    Map
    Home Depot and Menards both sell a chem that keeps algae growth to a minimum and is safe for fish. The cloudy water part, I'm not sure about. TwinCitiesDan has a point about the vegetation. You can do lillies or some other aquatic plant and they're easy to care for. A lot of them you can remove and place in a bucket, inside, over the winter and then place back in the pond once it warms up again.
    If that area of your house is shaded well, you won't have to worry about algae too much. If it gets direct sun, without any filtration, you'll need some chems to curb the algae.

4. bzishka

bzishka Fishy Keen Club
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I would agree to get some plants, depending on the hardness of water sometimes the pre formed water lillies dont always do the best, more local plant stores have bog plants for sale, I personally recommend you build a small pvc system and grow some lettuce in there because then you can eat what you produce!!! (i do peppers) that much water will take time to cycle. your two goldfish that may or may not die, if they do die just leave them in the pond, this will help cycle it without adding anything. the other thing is if you dont beat the algea and your pond is directly in the sun it will be hard to keep up with green water, i would never add those algae clear chemicals that they sell everywhere, another helpful trick is to get some straw, tie it together and drop it in the pond, if you could make it stick out of the water like cattails do in the slough the straw will also keep your pond from freezing solid, and help with gas/air exchange. Hopefully i can at least get you going in the right direction, just try googling some of the things i mentioned in this post and it will be way easier to understand. I babble somtimes....

5. OP
    curlyq

Fishies collected:
    Woo hoo! 24 hrs and the fish are still alive! Impressive when you realize the water was fresh (less than 4 hrs in the pond) when fish went it, haha! What a noob move!

In any case, our water is very hard (35 grains). I'll prob try some water lillies. I gotta figure out the filtration part. In general I hate using chemicals to bandaid a fix (clear water), but I don't want a bunch of expensive, external (or even large unsightly) things on this pond. Hmmm....

6. OP
    curlyq

Fishies collected:
    I put a hose on my MJ900 spilling into a filter sock. Cleaned up the water particulate really nice. However, overall filtration, does anyone have knowledge/thoughts/direction on what kind of filter to do? Upflow, downflow, etc? It's like a SW noob looking up doing a skimmer vs ATS. Too much information almost.

7. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    What about a canister filter? Build a small decorative box to hide it and keep it dry.

Just a thought...

8. Brent1128

Fishies collected:
    I believe Nualgi Aquarium works with ponds. Check their site, it may not be the regular Nualgi. It may be a special pond formula.

Its working well on my reef.

9. bzishka

bzishka Fishy Keen Club
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    You could just add a water fall and a small pile of straw on the bottom so no one can see it, the straw works as a bilogical filter and adding the water fall or somthing to add oxegen will help

10. OP
    curlyq

Fishies collected:
    My wife has already nixed a waterfall unfortunately. She wants a little internal fountain thing. I'm really thinking of doing a submerged filter filled with bioballs or lava rock. I'll put a filterpad prefilter to grab particles, and the bioballs/lava rock should do the biological part. I'll run it inline with the fountain so I only have one pump to worry about. Now I just need to gather materials to make it.

11. jerry.womack.92

Fishies collected:
    BTW I meant this is an easy DYI don't bother buying form this guy!

12. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Not sure how important it is to see the fish but with a fountain I'm guessing it will distort the water surface so much that you won't see a thing below...