So you can have another tank, what's in it?

Discussion in 'Weekly Reef discussions' started by jlanger, Jun 23, 2016.

?

So you can have another tank, what's in it?

1. Mixed Reef

8.3%
  2. SPS Reef (Small Polyped Stony Coral)

11.1%
  3. LPS Reef (Large Polyped Stony Coral)

5.6%
  4. Softie Reef (Soft Corals and Polyps)

5.6%
  5. NPS Reef (Non-photosynthetic Coral)

8.3%
  6. FOWLR (Fish Only with Live Rock)

25.0%
  7. Species specific (Designed for one species of fish/coral)

22.2%
  8. Biotope (Designed for one specific region of fish/coral)

5.6%
  9. Breeding Setup (Designed for breeding fish)

2.8%
  10. Frag Setup (Designed for growing coral frags)

22.2%
  11. Other (Comment below)

5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Walter84

Walter84 Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I did this once back east in an indoor pond sunfish/pumpkin seeds, Rainbow trout and Bullhead catfish. Staring at them everyday makes you realize its the hunt and the fight for them that gives them beauty and not in fact them, they pale in comparison to any hobby fish. Sadly even the Rainbow lost its beauty over the winter, they just need to have the cold water its part of their life cycle, the only reason I kept them thru the winter was out of guilt knowing that throwing them in a pond/river mid winter in New England would kill them.

2. vandy10

Fishies collected:
    That is an interesting perspective. I will keep that in mind as I make a decision on this in the future.

3. leviburns89

Fishies collected:
    A 120g with sps and a clownfish harem.

The Lightning maroons are amazing, and a harem would be affordable and amazing.

Alongside a great sps tank would ealisy be a totm.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I have thought about this many times over the last few years. I would love to have a large tank devoted to only one species.

My original plan was to have my 180 in the basement where it's cool (temperature, not me) and set up a cold water tank to keep a pair of chain catsharks with breeding in mind. With their small adult size, they can live and thrive in a 180 for life. This would sit behind my couch with no background and act as a room divider. I'd have this going now if my wife didn't want a tank upstairs.

Something else I thought would be cool would be a 180+, minimally aquascaped and only have a group of 5 - 7 $emilarvatu$ butterflyfi$h. Very cool, but very $pendy. Even better would to make this very abstract with no rock in the tank, but instead have some Chihuly-esque blown glass pieces.

The last thought was no aquascape/ completely open with very large grain subtrate and 3 -5 lookdowns with the tank setup in a gyre (racetrack flow). I had a trio in the past for a while and then sold them, but they were so cool.

Then there's the cube tank for the octopus and the jellyfish kreisel........ I have more interesting ideas than I do time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cheezybuda

cheezybuda I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Like I need another aquarium...
    If I did set up another I would love to have an NPS system. Some of my favorite tanks and corals are NPS, however I shy away from anything non-photosynthetic in my current tanks. I will admit, the complexity does add a little to the intrigue

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fiver

Fishies collected:
    Garden eels.

• Like Like x 2
  7. esbowman

esbowman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I have 2 tanks I want. First would be I want to take an older gumball machine with a big glass sphere at the top and do a jellyfish tank.

The other would be an NPS only tank with a LOT of flow and a dorm fridge with a dosing pump providing constant feeding once every hour. I have kept other coral successfully and am always looking for a challenge!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens Xenia lover
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Zoanthid tank, nothing fancy just a lot of varieties. Blue lighting. Fairy wrasses.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. leviburns89

Fishies collected:
    The gumball machine idea would be awesome!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

10. Greentree

TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    NPS would definitely be amazing - or pipefish! They're so curious.

11. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Probably a predator tank. Lionfish, eels and basic corals/anemones. Lionfish have been my all time favorite fish however i know how deadly they are to the reef ecosystem in the carribean which is sad. would probably be a 40-75 gallon tank, mostly soft corals, zoas, gorgs and nothing light crazy. fu manchu and dwarf lionfish, and a pair of dwarf golden moray eels. maybe even a pair of adult clowns if i think they wont be eaten.

12. fishteer

fishteer Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    If this is a fantasy tank, I want a swimming pool sized reef tank filled with seahorses and other unaggressive fish, where I can swim in my mermaid tail! Also a sea turtle.

If a real tank, though, it would be a smallish biocube with unaggressive, colorful reef fish.

13. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    SOOO many possibilities....

If I were able to set up yet more tanks in the lab than I'm about to set up, here are the top ones that would be on my list.....

- A mudskipper and fiddler crab tank (if I had any idea of how to acquire mudskippers...). Truth is.... I'm actually contemplating changing my plans for one of the tanks in the new building to try to do this. We'll see (far too many other things on the table regarding getting those systems going). I'd have to give up having a tank for a swimming crab and large seastars to do this - for teaching purposes I'm not sure which would be the higher priority.

- A big tank for archerfish, along with some monos, and some other compatible fish.

If doing this at home....

- A tank where I could keep niger triggerfish (there would be no particular teaching objectives with this - I just think triggerfish are cool).

14. blennieluvr

blennieluvr TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I would contact Josh and Stu and have them hook me up with the temperate tank I have been dreaming of for years. It would be filled with lovely anemones and "cool" shrimp. Although, my recent snorkel‚Äčing experience made me sort of want a large tank with big wrasses and surgeonfish. So many options. I have NPS now but just the large
    polyp variety. If time and money weren't an issue, I would try my hand at others.

15. OP
    jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Here's another idea that would make an interesting display...

Based on viewing a recent FB post of a nice looking custom tank, I would love to set up a tank with the following dimensions; 96"L by 36"W by 18"H.
    This "semi-shallow" tank would be placed on a shorter stand so that it basically becomes a top-down display tank. The tank would be aquascaped with many small rock islands that would serve as foundations for a multitude of plating and encrusting montipora corals.

Since I have no issues with growing montipora colonies, I would love to keep a system that exhibited these corals from their most photogenic angle. As the colonies grow out, they begin to shade everything placed lower than them. With a shallower tank, the corals could be placed low in the tank and allowed to grow out and up without the worry of them shading corals beneath them.
    I may even consider going without a sand bed and place encrusting montipora species on the bottom glass between the colonies and allow them to create a colorful background when viewing the tank from above; but how would my gobies and pistol shrimp fare without a sand bed?