TCMAS Club History

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by Havre, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Havre

Havre Retired multiple term TCMAS President.
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    While at MACNA last weekend I ran into a few fellow "old timers" and we discussed that perhaps someone from our era should post a "club history" thread on here. Perhaps its already been done but not by me until now. So if interested please read on.
    This club was formed in 1998 as Riversouth Reefkeepers, some of the founding members that are still around are Dirk, Grigor, Ernie and Schultz. Probably a few more...speak up if your still here. I joined a year later in 1999.

I took over as president from Ernie in 2001 with Grigor as my vice. That was all there was for leadership David took care of most of the forum moderating and I did the meetings. In those days we had an actual meeting where we went around the room introduced everyone and focused a little more on talking to the new people when it was there turn. That was it...we had no BOD no treasurer no secretary etc. It was just us two! But.....things went smoothly for the next 4 years that we served. Oh yeah we had to break up forum fights now and then but the individuals would sooner or later see each other in person at a meeting and make up.

In those days we had about 75 members total and would regularly get 40 or 50 to come to the meetings! The two biggest attended were at Otoliths' and Needmores' where close to 75 attended! When I took over in 2001 our first matter to discuss was changing the name of the club. We figured that since we were now all over the twin city area we had to do away with Riversouth and considered TCRAS Twin City Reef Aquarium Society....but we wanted to include the saltwater fish only people so decided on TCMAS Twin City Marine Aquarium Society. Our first forum was on the "club forum" area of Reef Central. Then we moved to the club forum on The Reef Tank in 2003. In those days there was absolutely no buying or selling allowed because the sites that hosted us had sponsors to support. I know I sound like an "Old Fart" when I say "Things were better in those days"......the reason is that since there was no classifieds you automatically "weeded out " the people just looking for a good deal on something. Also when we brought in a speaker we just passed the hat for money and asked for volunteers to help.

One of the best times was when I got to spend all day with Julian Sprung for his plane came in early for a speaking event that night. I took him to the ZOO where a member had arranged a behind the scenes tour for us. Then took him to the most impressive private aquariums in the cities Stan (energy) my good friend Scott O.(needmore) and mine. Julian was a very interesting guy who signed all my books and told me many more funny stories about Dirk!LOL After serving for four years I stepped down as president and Tico Mike took over for 2005. Mike did a very good job but he and many of us could see that the club was changing....it was becoming more of a message board than a club. So for 2006 Redwinger and I ran against each other for the top position (president too LOL). It was a dirty but hilarious campaign he posted pictures of Brett Favre with a diaper on and I posted a picture of Redwinger himself dressed up like Adolf Hitler and said Redwinger says..."I think we need TCMAS chapters in Poland and France." That was a blast and we were actually good friends so we decided to run together as a team and won the election! We had to figure out a way to make the club more face to face and less internet.

So we came up with the rule (with majority club approval) that if you wanted to use the classifieds you had to either attend meetings or contribute in some other way (hosting meeting made you a member for life). Don't know but I think the club still does this?? Personally I am not all that thrilled with the direction the club has gone that's why I am not around much anymore. But having said that I also know this.... IN ANY CLUB YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT THE MAJORITY WANTS or the club will simply fizzle out and frustrated members will simply form a new club! That's all I can type now feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes or you have something to add.

Thanks, Scott Harvieux (Havre)

Edit - added spaces

#1 Havre, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I joined about a year later as well. First meeting I attended was in the snow at Ernies house in Burnsville.

3. Kevin Lake

Kevin Lake Owner, Aquaria Guru Inc.
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    and, as of now...

* 610,344 Total Forum Posts
    * 54,642 Threads
    * 51,128 Posts from the top 4 members (David, Hypertec, Angie & Ray)
    * 14,698 Posts by the Top User (David Grigor)
    * 2,995 Forum Users
    * 443 Active Members
    * 304 is the most users online at one time (12-02-2010 at 10:53 PM)
    * 21 Current Sponsors
    * 18 Volunteers on the Events Committee (http://www.tcmas.org/v4/forums/showgroups.php)
    * 14 Volunteer Moderators to keep the peace
    * 4 Volunteers for the Board of Directors
    * 1 Awesome Website

4. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Everything in life goes in cycles. Markets, politics, work, fish forums, relationships just to name a few. Trick is to be able to see the cycles and act accordingly, something very few can routinely do.

I've been a part of the births of forums and clubs, deaths of forums and clubs, break away rouge segments and everything in between. It's just people and the cycles of how things go. They grown, evolve, devolve, go sideways for a time and even go bat****.

Things were always better in those days, when I was the old fart. As a newbie, I loathed the old farts. Perspective. Odds are folks who join tcmas tomorrow would think things are pretty cool.

Yes, meeting attendance seem to be down even to my newbie eyes. I don't know why. The forums have a lot of classified ads, tony I don't know. They are annoying until you either want something or are trying to sell something.

It's a club, want to change something make the effort it's certainly possible.

5. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Btw 14 mods for 443 active members is silly, especially on a low volume forum

6. OP
    Havre

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Had no intention to change anything. Was just providing some historical fact for those who may be interested. Please keep this thread on topic and try to add some interesting info regarding our club history. I was hoping this thread would be kept intact for eternity so the club beginnings could be there for everyone to learn if they wish. Which reminds me I know very little about TCMAS recent history from about 2007 until now. Perhaps some of you can add some info on the clubs most recent history to this thread ?? Please ?

7. ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens Xenia lover
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    We need at least 10 to keep you in line ;)

8. David Grigor

Fishies collected:
    Here is much I can recall or find on the speakers that have come to town as possible. Hoping to be a team effort to recount them all. Maybe Angie can recant 2012 speakers, can't find the exact details other than Sanjay.

year ??: I know Ron Shimek was the first, used at Augsberg. Zero budget, someone volunteered flyer miles to bring him here. Donations to cover hotel expenses.

April 2006: Eric Borneman "Understanding the Nature of and Factors Involved in Coral Coloration".

Mar 2007: Mike Paletta, Steven Pro and Dr. George Batten from Sea chem, Augsburg

Oct. 2007: Junbo Restaurant in Bloomington. Julian Sprung who will talk about reef algaes, Patrick from PFO will be talking about led technology, and Mitch Carl from the Omaha zoo will be talking about coral disease.

Apr. 2008 at some Health clinic. Frank Burr (the coral oasis, and author of several books), FAHZ (speaking on water quality), and David Grigor (speaking about his redundancy article)

November 2009 in Apple Valley Community Center. Marc Levenson ( Melev ) on Reef Pests , Eric Francek of Quality Marine on Fish collection, Matt Peterson fish breeding.

Nov 2010 Woodbury: Greg Hiller Reef Chemistry & disaster prevention, Randy Reed on Feeding your reef.

No events in 2011 that I can find.

April 2012: Sanjay on Lighting & spectrum. ?? on the other speakers.
    Edit - Tal Sweet - MBI and Matt Pederson on breeding - ach

Apr 2013, Plymouth. Kevin Kohen with LiveAquaria, Justin "Credible" Grable and Chad Clayton with Reed Mariculture will be speaking.

None for 2014.

February 2016 - Augsburg College
    Bill Capman - "A closer look at some of the lesser known and less appreciated inhabitants of our reef aquaria"
    Matt Pedersen - "Clownfish - 3 Part Series Species, Genetics, Hybrids"
    Marc Levensen - "In-wall Tank / Fish Rooms. Benefits, implemented ideas, and what needs to be considered in advance"

#8 David Grigor, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
  9. David Grigor

Fishies collected:
    Pretty sure Larry M ( Scott Help me on his last name ) was a co-founder.

Past Presidents:

Ernie Frankovich
    Scott Harve
    Tico Mike

Can't recall the order on these two:

Sean ( Goldpony )
    Mary (mtfatwork )

Kelly ( wkjames )
    Michael ( maxreefer )
    Angie ( she devil )

#9 David Grigor, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
  10. David Grigor

Fishies collected:
    Prior to 2005 There was no cordinated frag swaps, just occurred at meetings.

Nov 2005 was the first ever cordinated frag swap in Fritz's basement in Bloomington,

Feb 2006 as at John Sand ( Redvingers ) Suburban Chrysler in St. Paul

Mar 2007 as at John Sand ( Redvingers ) Suburban Chrysler in St. Paul

Mar 2009 Location Unknown.

Nov 2009 Apple Valley Community Center same day as speaker event.

Nov 2010 Woodbury same day as speaker event.

One was at Doinablunt's repair garage out in the middle of no where ( or it seems like that ) still trying to find the date.

#10 David Grigor, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  11. OP
    Havre

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    David I remember Larry but cannot remember his last name either. I think he had a tank blow out right around the turn of the century and left the hobby altogether.
    I think we had frag swaps at Redwingers dealer for 2 back to back years.
    Presidents are in exact order you have.
    THANKS

12. David Grigor

Fishies collected:
    LarryM, I'm thinking Maris. A couple of years ago I did get a PM from him and he got back in the hobby ( may have been just a brief stint ) but he never participated again on the boards.

I found some of the early frag swap dates / locations and updated that post with the info I have found. Still looking for more of the early ones. I know Austin Droinablunt hosted at his garage, that's the first time I recall Scott O coining the phrase "Man size frags".

#12 David Grigor, Sep 7, 2014
  13. David Grigor

Fishies collected:
    Early Workshops.

I did I believe 3 events on aquascaping, one was a grimmreefers house, one at Angies when she first started. Still trying to remember the third.

John Giesler did a acrylic calcium reactor workshop. What I remember most about it was everyones reactor started failing ( leaking at the seams ) a year or two later.

A fragging demo was done in Andover. I was to attend but couldn't find the place.

We did the first food making party at Discovery Aquatics when Jake owned the place.

I'll try to find some more details on any earlier workshops prior to Eric ( Jager ) taking over the events.

#13 David Grigor, Sep 7, 2014
  14. OP
    Havre

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    That's it Larry Maris! I believe he is responsible for starting the club because I think he organized that first meeting at his house in 1998.

15. Fishmonger70

Fishmonger70 I Live For TCMAS!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for all the club history guys. Very interesting to hear about some of the past events that took place and some of the leadership we have had.

16. OP
    Havre

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    And this is all since Redwinger started our own web forum! It doesnt include prior to 2007.

17. MarineAddict

MarineAddict Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    The history is always awesome to learn about and catch up on for us newbie's. It's generally the foundation upon which the building blocks of the modern day forum are built. No different here. You guys laid down what seems to be a solid and amazing foundation:) And as much as a trip down memory lane is great, and the past being an important aspect for founders, I think the future of the club is really what's most important. Keeping this club not only active but thriving and growing is a very important thing here. Granted if we didn't have the superior foundation laid down, this club may not even be here to grow on. But now that it is, I think the current and active members need to focus on growing it in the future and going along with the "cycles" that change that Marty mentioned earlier.

So I guess to sum up simply.. it would be "Cheers to the past and past outstanding members.. and here's to the future of one hell of a club"

18. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm going to start in 2007, which was just before we incorporated as an NPO (non profit org.), but its all the farther back I recall. I don't promise all of this is exactly accurate, but best I could do w/o spending decades researching it.

October 10, 2007: I believe MTFatwork and Stuckey were elected co pres or something like that. Frogbone was treas. at one point, but I can’t tell when he dropped out.

Feb. 10, 2008: Business meeting where they enacted NPO Status. Due to new NPO status, elections held early. MTFatwork was pres., goldpony was treas., hypertech as director, coldwaterreefer as director, stuckey as secretary

10/12/2008?: Secretary, director 2, and treasurer (due to treas. Wining secretary) were up for election: Goldpony won secretary, redwinger as treas., gogregerson as director, MTF still pres., coldwater still director.

Dec. 2008, MTFatwork, redwinger resign (kind of). Goldpony as pres, gogregerson as treas, coldwaterreefer as treas. john (redwinger) and Kelly James as directors by BOD vote.

7/14/2009: (all positions up for early election due to resignations above): President: WKJames; Treasurer: David Grigor; Secretary: sogonerg; Moderator 2 yr: Coldwatrerreefer; Moderator 1 yr: Acharpenter [Note, sogonerg and acharperter resigned early, replaced in term by agent and damsel Debbie]

11/6/2010: Director 2, secretary –damsel debbie as D2, agent as secretary

7/20/2011: (all positions-early elections due to resignations and overall exhaustion by BOD) Maxreefer pres, spsick, secretary, rjreefer treasurer, zoolan and patent directors

2/2012: RJReefer removed from the BOD and banned by majority BOD vote: http://www.tcmas.org/v4/forums/showt...asurer-changes
    ACharpenter is subsequently appointed to replace him. I can't recall if this happened before the election (below) or was at the election.

4/14/2012 Nate (Wbgnt) was elected Secretary, Erik (Jager) was elected as a director, and after a long discussion, Angie (acharpenter) was elected Treasurer.

4/13/2013 Election 2013 held. Patent (John) elected treasurer. Data Loss (Steve Baker) elected to director position.

9/2013 Steve Baker steps down from director position, MNmuskeyman replaces him by BOD vote. Nate (Wbgnt) disappeared and was no longer responding to any communications. Replaced by Acharpenter.

July 12, 2014: Acharpenter elected pres. AJ (Jelloboy) elected director, Staygoldponyboy (Laurie) elected secretary.

July -2015: acharpenter elected pres. AJ (Jelloboy) removed from BOD by member vote at business meeting, Erik (Jager) elected to Treasurer, Ted (mnmuskyman2011) elected to Secretary, John AKA Pita (Patent) elected to Director.

October 2016: acharpenter elected to pres, Ted (mnmuskyman2011) elected to director, Tim (Zoolan70) elected to Treasurer due to Erik (Jager) stepping down and down and Kyle T elected to Secretary

GENERAL TCMAS History:

I know of threads going back to at least 2001, but it appears to me that TCMAS existed on Reef Central before then: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=19703 The club forum from RC is inactive, and can be found under inactive forums: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&sort=lastpost

We moved to The Reef Tank in 2003. http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f58/

I think we had long had this website (or more accurately someone in the club owned it) before we moved the forums here, but we moved here starting in December 2006.

We incorporated as a 501(c)(3) in April of 2008.

#18 patent, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
  19. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    DANG PITA - where did you source all that?

Harve THANK YOU - we have been looking for a way to document the clubs history and you done started it!!

There are tiny holes I can fill where I was referenced - but I gotta check my docs before doing so - thank you so much guys!

20. OP
    Havre

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks to everyone! Looks really good!