TDS reading is eerily okay

Discussion in 'All things freshwater related' started by JacquelineSuzanne, Feb 16, 2016.

1. JacquelineSuzanne

Fishies collected:
    Hello!

My first freshwater aquarium is about 4 months old and now houses 9 African Cichlids and three tiny catfish. About two weeks ago I bought a TDS meter and have had consistent readings with the occasional +/- 10 ppm. Tonight's reading is 185ppm. From everything I'm reading, this is pretty much spot on where it should be. Being that I'm a novice and fairly compulsive, I am questioning whether or not I'm accurately interpreting the information I'm finding online. Are there any knowledgable members who can confirm that this is an ideal reading? I'm overly anxious that something could go wrong at any moment and turn my aquarium toxic. The fish have names now, ya know?

Thanks!!!!!

2. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    With freshwater, especially cichlids, I wouldn't worry about what your tds is, just keep up on waterchanges to keep nitrates low and enjoy the fish.

#2 Nickz, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  3. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Agreed!

4. infinityends

infinityends Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I have no clue what the plant actually is. But I bought it as a tiny stalk for my wife's freshwater tank. It grows like crazy and we have to prune it back weekly. But it does an amazing job of cleaning the water. We have gone 6 months w/o a water change on that tank before.

Anyway, could get you some of that plant since we have to prune it and remove it from the tank so often. I do have it under a coralvue 4 bulb T5 (only running 3 bulbs in it right now, 1 white, 2 blue) so it gets a lot of light in my tank which is probably half the reason it grows so well.