Teaser: Episode II

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by jlanger, Jun 28, 2018.

1. DarkSky

DarkSky I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    The only downside I found is when cleaning that water line since it loves to accumulate algae, it is very easy to splash water over the rim. Just have to go slow and it'll be fine.

2. UpNorthTom

UpNorthTom Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Nice, I like the rimless look also.

3. OP
    jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"

Fishies collected:
    Even though it's sitting there dry, it sure is nice to come around the corner and see a glass box on that stand again.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Staff Member Site Admin Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Pssst....the overflow is slightly off-center...

5. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Nice! I'll have to raise up some angelfish for this tank. :)

The Jocs will be spawning by this fall

6. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    I usually prefer having a centrally located overflow, but the aquascaping for this new system called for the overflow to be left justified. It’ll make more sense later.

7. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    The stocking list for fish this time around will be really limited to “wish list” species, and joculators definitely make that list.

8. OldNemo

Fishies collected:
    Looks great!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Wow that is one beautiful tank! I like the off-centered overflow as well.

Get some water in it already!

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    After spending a lot of time lately working on projects for other people, I took some time last night for my own project and I placed my new rocks in the new tank.

There are only three pieces that construct my new aquascape; two Tonga shelf rocks and one Pukani rock.
    I'll go into more detail about the aquascape when I start my formal build thread but in the meantime, here's some pics.
    (Forgive the reflections, but that's what you'll get with no water in a clean tank.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a slightly modified aquascape with the Pukani rock becoming its own little island.

[​IMG]

Since I'm still a month or two out from adding any water, I figured that having the rock sitting in the tank will give me time to critque the aquascape and make any changes I feel are needed.

And there will be sand...

11. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Love that canyon, has some sweet lines!

12. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    +1 on the canyon. It looks like a completely different aquascape depending on which side you view it from, which is very cool.

The added flow you’ll get with the canyon should make for some happy corals as well!

13. Jonty

Jonty I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I don't think you will see the canyon but it will be a great crack for frags to fall into ext ( ask me how I know :))
    Just use the front left piece and nothing else. drill it with a bunch of holes so you can just push plugs in rather than worry about gluing frags on the rock surface.

Not that I have a strong opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    It's a valued opinion regardless of strength.

You're very, very close to one the ideas that I've been contemplating!

I have mentioned in conversations that I might only go with the one larger rock.
    I already know that the second rock isn't going to be used for much for coral placement. It was more for having the channel for fish to retreat into and feel more secure. Since there's not much available for caves and overhangs, I thought I needed to add something to create an area that's "hidden" from direct view.
    I've also considered chopping off the "blade" of the second rock as it doesn't have the best visual appeal. The base of that rock has a nice flat area for coral placement and it does create a small overhang. By chopping off the "blade", it would create more negative space allow me to move the rocks into a different position.
    Of all of the rocks, that second rock is the square peg that I'm trying to fit in a round hole.

The big rock is really nice. It doesn't show it very well in those photos but the rock is made of thumb-sized knobs of the coral skeleton. The knobs cover most of the rock and it will be very easy to wedge coral frags between the knobs or I can break off the knob and glue the frag onto the flat surface left behind. I've popped off some of the knobs already to create some flat areas.
    One of my concerns with all of the knobs is that it could become an issue if I ever get algae growth in the display. I don't see how snails, crabs or even fish will be able to get to anything growing deep inside the knobs. But I guess that's where my ATS unit should prevent an algae outbreak.
    Other than the open arch underneath the rock, there is no other hiding place to be had with the rock. I'm not planning having many fish in this system; this time. But the thoughts are that if I can get good coral growth, the fish should find somewhere to retreat to when spooked.

So... I am tempted to break off that "blade" on the second rock. I just thought I'd get some feedback before I actually go through with it. Maybe I'll take some photos with the second rock removed and get some more feedback first.

Thanks, Jon.

15. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    Dang you, @Jonty !!!
    Now I'm moving rocks, pulling out rocks and looking for my concrete bits and cold chisels!!!
    Thank you, @Jonty !!!

16. OP
    jlanger

Fishies collected:
    So here's some new attempts...
    I turned the lighting intensity down so the camera could pick up the texture of the rock better.

This is only the big rock.
    [​IMG]

Big rock with Pukani island.
    [​IMG]

After breaking off a part of the second rock, I actually liked it quite a bit when it was turned back into a horizontal shelf.
    [​IMG]

Just the two shelf rocks.
    [​IMG]

The second rock after it was modified and placed horizontally created a lot of flat surface area which will be ideal for my LPS corals or something new. The rock also creates a few nice overhangs for fish to hang out under or swim through. And when placed parallel with the larger rock, a channel is created again; although this time in front of the large rock. This layout has many more options for fish to hide and feel secure.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:

Teasing of course, that looks really cool and love the minimalist aspect to it.

18. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I like this aquascape as well. The hole in the second rock is nice because it can be used as a little cave for fish.

With minimalist aquascapes, the biggest problem I’ve ran into is not having enough sleeping spaces for the fish, which in turn can lead to stressed out fish and aggression. Of course the “sleeping space” depends on the type of fish, but for fish that rest within the rock work, I would end up making a cave with leftover LR with every fish I added.

I like pic 3 a lot because it keeps the minimalistic look, but adds the rock in the front left for a fast growing coral(s) that you would like to isolate from taking over your entire tank. This added rock also creates more depth without sacrificing water movement, which is a win-win.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jonty

Jonty I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  20. RSnodgrass

Fishies collected:
    Not knowing what the backside of that main rock is I'm imagining more or less the same or a relatively sold surface. If it is, is there a possibility to cement some small ledges or chip some dents into it for fish? Maybe not in a way that would still be hidding on the side views though.

I like #1 & 4 depending on number of fish and if you want room for sand corals. I like #3 otherwise.