The Carleton Picotope

Discussion in 'Nano and Pico reef systems' started by Theg001, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Theg001

Theg001 Former: youngreefer33

Fishies collected:
    Hey Everybody!

As some of you may know, I'm headed off to Carleton College to start my freshman year in less than two weeks! Even with the excitement of collegiate life setting in, there's no way I could leave the reefkeeping hobby. So, I decided to re-establish my Picotope and bring it with me. I increased the lighting, changed up the aquascape and added more livestock. The tank is still cycling, but with pre-established live rock and a more than 50% water contribution from my Biocube initially, it's looking good! I plan to post regular updates from Carleton with pictures as the year goes on.

Water changes will be done every week or so (as necessary) with distilled water from a LFS and Reefcrystals. Any small amount of feeding for the livestock will be done with Spirulina-Enriched Brineshrimp and Phyto/Zooplankton.

Northfield here I come! :beerchug:

Equipment:
    3-gal Picotope Tank
    Finnex PF-5 Power Filter
    Tetra 2-15 Submersible Heater
    Shin Mao 26-watt PC Light

Livestock:
    Gold-Lined Neon Eviota Goby (Eviota pellucida)
    Panda Goby (Paragobiodon lacunicolus)
    Sexy Shrimp (Thor amboinensis)
    Coco Worm
    Mangrove Sprout
    Pulsing Xenia
    Dendrophyllia Polyp
    Rhodactis & Ricordia Polyps
    Acan Frags
    Lobophyllia Frag
    Nuclear Green Polyps
    Radioactive Green and Teal Caulastrea
    Pink & Tyree Ponape Birdsnest Frags
    Echinophyllia Frag

Getting Started:
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]

I also have a query for the advanced Nano keepers in the club. How often should I feed the Coco Worm to keep it healthy but also avoid excess nutrients?

2. Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett Decapodian
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    You'll probably be fine feeding it weekly right before your water changes.

3. jjwhiteboy

jjwhiteboy I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    nice pico George! :beerchug:

4. PLNelson

PLNelson White Trash Astronaut
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Nice Pico. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't keep any non-photosynthetic animals. I would be concerned with two things: Nutrient build up; and if you don't feed them enough and kill one, it may crash your tank given the very small water volume. I would also reconsider keeping SPS. It's not that the light will not allow it to grow, it will. Just that you have little water flow, so the branches will end up thin and weak.

Good luck!

5. lottie_pufferfish

lottie_pufferfish Chicken wrangler
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I dont think its a good idea to have the cocoa worm in there, they need to eat a little all day long, as they dont have stomacs to store food in big bulk.

it will slowly starve to death, probably surviving on its own body fat for a little while. i dont suggest it at all. especialy if you talking about the hard shelled kind.

[QUOTE
    I also have a query for the advanced Nano keepers in the club. How often should I feed the Coco Worm to keep it healthy but also avoid excess nutrients?[/QUOTE]

6. lottie_pufferfish

lottie_pufferfish Chicken wrangler
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    oh is it that little feather duster under that green candy cane coral?
    he will be fine for now. i wouldnt bother if it could upset the balance, hes the kind that comes in on liverock right?

and if he doesnt have a christmas tree like spiral crown, then its a feather duster not a coco worm.

7. OP
    Theg001

Theg001 Former: youngreefer33

Fishies collected:
    Winter Break Update

The tank and I have survived the first term of college! :gay1:

The first big move down to Carleton went well, despite the temperature dropping a couple of degrees along the way. Much to my chagrin I found that the Panda goby did not respond to feeding and disappeared within the first week. Otherwise, everything else has done well and the corals have been growing! The Pink Birdsnest and Kryptonite Caulastrea have changed the most noticeably. Even the Dendrophyllia has sprouted three baby heads (it's residing in the 14-gal cube over this break) :beerchug:. Some of the original corals did not adjust well to the increased light intensity from the newest mount installed before the move, but they survived the term and have been cycled to other systems back home.

Since I brought the tank home for my six week winter break, I have re-aquascaped to accommodate a few new pieces of coral and increase water circulation. New livestock additions include Blue Clove Polyps and a juvenile Misbarred Percula Clown. I know this fish addition seems odd/inappropriate, but I have kept a another juvenile clown in the system some time ago, and it is now happily paired up with a mate in the 350-gal system. When the little one gets bigger, I'll move it into another system.

Very regular water changes have been essential and effective to the success of this system so far. I have obtained R/O DI water from the biology department at school and mix my own saltwater in my dorm room as planned.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

8. coralreefer

coralreefer I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Love the new aquascaping! :beerchug: