Thinking of moving from 75 to 120 gallon

Discussion in 'New to the hobby?' started by Juskr, Jan 11, 2018 at 2:50 PM.

1. Juskr

Fishies collected:
    Hello Community,

After maintaining a 75 gallon since October, I am ready transition to a larger tank and hopefully address my biggest issues with my current setup and be able to accommodate long term goals. The tank I found is a 120 gallon Oceanic Tech Tank that has 4 holes drilled on the bottom and a 40 gallon sump. I am looking for some feedback on my thoughts below and if I decide to move forward, will likely start a "tank build/transition" thread for others to follow who are interested.

1. Addressing the noise issue. My current setup runs a HOB CPR overflow which generates the most noise issues (gurgling and water splashing) not to mention the risk associated with power outages. With 4 equal size holes on the 120 (See picture), I was thinking of running a bean animal or Herbie.
    Resized95201801109516470495331[753].jpg
    Q: Could I setup a bean animal and if so, how would I do that?
    Q: What is quieter, bean or Herbie?

2. Fish Stock List. I figure that moving to a 120 will extend the time I can keep my blue and salfin tang as well as add additional desired fish.

Q: Would a 120 be able to accommodate 3-5 anthias & school of blue chromis (6-8)?

3. Using existing equipment Over time I plan to upgrade the return pump, skimmer and powerheads.

Q: Would I be able to utilize my existing Aquatic Life 4 bulb T5HO+Lunar?
    Q: Would my 1260 Eheim Return pump be able to handle the increase water volume?

I am sure I will have additional questions but my biggest goal is to reduce the amount of noise the tank generates in our family room.

Current setup & Equipment
    IMG_1629[756].jpg IMG_1628[755].jpg

· 75 Gallon - Not Drilled
    · Aqueon Proflex Model 1 sump (Running with 2 filter socks, fug w/ marine pure spheres & Kato (Thanks Jason), passive carbon) Fug lit with Auqa Gadget MagnaFuge LED Light.
    · Tunze ATO 3155
    · CPR Aquatic Overflow box
    · Reef Octupus Skimmer HOB Classic 2000
    · Aquatic Life 4 bulb T5HO+Lunar
    · 2 Hydor Koralia Evo Pumps (1150 & 850)
    · 1260 Eheim Return Pump

Live stock (Fish)
    · Sailfin Tang
    · Blue Tang
    · Tomoato Clown
    · Six Line Wrasse
    · Kaudern's Cardinal Fish
    · Chromis
    · Royal Gramma Basslet

Corals/Inverts/etc

· Elegance Coral
    · Neon Green Frogspawn
    · Green and Reddish Button Polyps
    · Orange Zooxanthellae
    · 4 Rose Colored Anemones
    · Brittle Star
    · 3 Astraea Turbo Snails
    · 4 SPS Frags from Jason

2. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Bean and Herbie are essentially the same except you have another additional safety with the bean.

Bean would be hard to do with a stock reef ready config since holes are not located together.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    Juskr

Fishies collected:
    Hi David,

Are the 4 holes drilled right next to each other in a row not ideal for bean method? I am ok with the Herbie but since I have the opportunity to tinker, I want to make sure I select the best long term option for safety and reduced noise.

4. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Yes.

I assumed this was two in each corner which is most typical.

5. irish02bk

irish02bk Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Herbie can be silent,

I would run herbie off the two center holes and then run two returns on the outer holes. Potentially even off two return pumps. would have more redundancy.

You can use the ehiem but will need more powerheads in the tank such as MP40's or gyres.

lights should work but you'll be limited on SPS, probably need a 6 bulb to have better coverage for SPS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DarkSky

DarkSky TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I run herbie and it doesn't make a sound. Mostly depends how far your water drops into your overflow and if it drops out of your drain. Mine drops less than 2 inches into the overflow, and the drain pipe is under water in the sump.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I have a 120 marineland with a 40 breeder sump and only 2 drain holes. I run a Herbie and it is very quiet. As Darksky mentioned, you just have to design it correctly. On the other hand, if I had 4 holes in a row, would definitely do a Bean configuration because of the added safety built in.

As for return pump, I like my eheim 5000. Adjustable flow, reasonably priced for the size, and really quiet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Map
    With an ehiem 1250 you have a near zero chance of multiple holes clogging. A single 1" drain in the herbi style can handle 7-8 of your pumps at once. This you can have significant blockage and still be without issue. For a herbi to be silent you need a needle valve and sump with a consistent water height around the pipe flowing into the sump. Change in sump height changes the back pressure and can be a noticeable difference.

You'd have your overflow teeth clog far before the pipe does. So make sure your overflow box can handle the blockage.

I'd keep the other two available for a closed loop pump or a second pump as return if the sump can handle it. There are always people selling used ones and you can get some flow without the bulky powerheads.

9. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Map
    I should add a caveat to my post... snails... they are sneaky little terrors of the sea. For a herbie to work you need to either have an emergency drain capable of a snail passing all the way through without issue or a way to protect the drain without greatly restricting flow.

If that cannot be done for one reason or another then a bean may be necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    Juskr

Fishies collected:
    Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it.

I remember your tank DarkSky and how quiet it was. My goal is to have my tank run at the same sound level as yours.

Irish02bk, the tank I am looking to purchase does have a DYI T5 6 bulb setup as well as 2 metal halides. I figure I could setup the halides to supplement my 4 bulb setup for the SPS. I do need to increase my flow and will be on the lookout for used powerheads (craigslists for now until I become an official member of TCMAS). I did come across a Tunze Nanostream 6055 on craigslist for about $75. Would that give me enough flow?

RSnodgrass, I didn’t really think about running 2 return pumps to create additional flow in the tank but the more I think about it is a great idea. Minimizing the size and number of the items in the display tank would be preferred.

I am leaning towards setting up a bean animal for the additional safety. As for return pump, what would be the ideal GPH with a 120 display and 40 gallon sump?

When it comes time to transition tanks, is there anyone interested in helping me with the transition? I supply good beer and food