Turning off lights - Fish Only

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by JT_Bauer, Oct 18, 2017.

1. JT_Bauer

Fishies collected:
    Since having a kid my reef tank has really taken the back seat in my life. I have been slowly giving away coral and I am officially down to my last one. Plan is to find it a home and turn off all the lights minus the blues. I have a pretty decent algae problem and wondering what all I should take into consideration before I make the change.

It is a 30g tank with some life rock (not a ton) and two false clowns. That is it. Nothing too exciting. Lights are LED and protein skimmer is currently off. Plan is to turn lights to just the blues, start up the skimmer, manually remove as much as I can and start doing 10% water changes every other day until everything starts to look back to normal.

What else? Anything I am missing?

Hopefully I can get things cleaned up and possibly add some more (not coral) into the tank in the near future!

2. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    If the increased water change schedule is to lower nutrient levels in the water, you'll have better success with larger water changes. If you have the capacity to make up enough new saltwater for 50% (or even larger) water changes, you'll get a handle on the nutrient levels much quicker.
    If the frequency in water changes is to coincide with manual removal of the algae, you'll be fine with any amount of water change.
    Keep,the skimmer running and keep up with changing out any filter socks/floss. Keeping your system clean is the best method to eliminate/limit any algal growth.

Congrats on the new addition to your family.

3. OP
    JT_Bauer

Fishies collected:
    Thanks! Going to try and get my mess of an aquarium cleaned up!

It's amazing how much changes when you add a little mini-me!

4. Dalailammy

Dalailammy Amphipod First Class
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    The algae is cleaning the tank so let it die slowly.