Unknown growth on torch

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Jake, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Jake

TCMAS Supporter

This white mass has been on this torch for as long as I have owned it. I am curious to know if anyone knows what it is and if it is a concern. It is not a sponge and has a hard slimy texture. There are several holes in it like it is some sort of filter feeder. My concern is it is starting to grow up to the heads and I don't want it to kill the torch. Anyone know what it is?

Attached Files:

2. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Sure looks like a sponge to me, tear a chunk off.

3. OP
    Jake

TCMAS Supporter

I cleaned it off a few months ago but as you can see it grew back fairly quickly

4. OP
    Jake

TCMAS Supporter

Added a better photo. Also wondering if it will spread or procreate. I have other sponges in the tank that are soft to the touch, this one has a leathery texture.

5. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

It is most certainly a sponge! I have the same thing on my pipe organ. It does not seem to harm anything. Sponges are extremely beneficial. I would just keep an eye on it. If it starts to take over it is easy to pull off sponge or pull it out of the water for a minute or two. Most of the sponge will draw in air and start to die once you add it back in the tank. I do not recommend doing it this way if you have a small tank because die off could cause an ammonia spike. A big established tank should have no problem consuming the ammonia.

6. RSnodgrass

Definitely a sponge. I had one that was really firm I tore off a blasto not too long ago. If you can smother the pores with something.

7. OP
    Jake

TCMAS Supporter

I took it out and tried pulling/cutting it off a few months ago. I got most of it but it came back larger than ever. I am also concerned it may procreate and spread through my tank (75 gal). It doesn't bother me but definitely don't want it anywhere else in the tank.

8. RSnodgrass

This might work best if you don't cut any off. Hold torch upside down with the stem out. The die off may smother enough to kill more and coat with liquid super glue.

9. OP
    Jake

TCMAS Supporter

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I am not going to be too concerned about it and I will try exposing it to the air for a while.

10. Mordim

Mordim TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

I was just going to post the same question here when I saw this post. Anyone had issues with it being too prolific and harmful as a result? I'd like to keep it but want to nip it now if it'll be a problem later. [​IMG][​IMG]

11. OP
    Jake

TCMAS Supporter

I have left mine. It is definitely different than other sponges in my tank but doesn't seem to be an issue at this point. Most of the other sponges I have had have died once nutrient levels dropped but the one on my torch is going strong.