Urobatis halleri (Haller's Round Ray or California Round Ray)

Discussion in 'Aquatics Breeding (Fish, coral, inverts)' started by Riley, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I added an adult female stingray to my tank early last June, a few weeks after hosting my house meeting. I had been keeping an eye out for an adult female to go with my 5+ year old male for some time, so I was ticked to finally find one. I got her from sharkandreef.com, and was sent Delta Cargo from California.

Earlier this month I noticed my ray was plumper than she was before but I really thought nothing of it.

I check on my tanks every morning before I leave for work and I found this little gem swimming around today. The little ray is around the size of a tuna can, or slightly smaller. I didn't have time to measure, so if she's still around when I get home from work I'll get a weight and measure. I say it that way because I didn't have anything set up to isolate the ray from the adults in the tank that would easily work quick this morning, so you never know what will happen during the coarse of the day. I'll be setting something up after work today. I hope it's still swimming around when I get home.

These are born live, and inside the ray they are rolled up like a taco.

As for captive breeding accounts, last time I looked (which was probably more than 6 months ago) there wasn't much of anything. Mainly what comes up is a live birth at the Tennessee Aquarium, but that ray was acquired pregnant from the wild.

Here's the little ray, note the blurry adult ray in the upper left hand corner of the picture for comparison.
    [​IMG]

#1 Riley, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Congratulations! Hope it grows up nice and you don't have any problems. Do most of them survive in tanks ok?

3. OP
    Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks. For surviving in tanks, I assume you mean the little one. Yes, it should survive just fine. I'm not sure of possible aggression from the mature male stingray in the tank (no clue), but I will be isolating it today after work for feeding purposes. There's no way I'll be able to introduce small foods in a large tank with the other larger tankmates.

4. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Congrats on the breeding

5. danknuc

danknuc TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    That is just too cool. Maybe the MN Zoo people would have information on aggression from the adults (males). Please keep us up to date on the new addition.

6. marty9876

marty9876 Banned
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Great, now I want tacos..

Super neat!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Very cool, congrats!

"Stingrays give birth to 2-6 young stingrays each year. Baby stingrays are born fully developed; they look like miniature versions of adult animals. Babies take care of themselves from the moment of birth. They live 15-25 years in the wild." - softschools

Is there a chance more could still be in there that haven't been born yet?

8. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    This is very cool.

How large is the tank they are in?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. OP
    Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Thanks everyone. Just one this time (so far), but yep, they can have more in a litter.

pup info:
    sex: male
    length: 6"
    disk width: 3.8125"
    weight: 30.5 grams

The adults are in a 7' diameter "pond." Other than one cave that the sharks sleep in, it's completely open. I rigged up a quick secondary tank for the pup that's fed off the main tank. That should make feeding easier. I'm going to attempt a first feeding tonight. I have the feeling it's going to be a pain to get it to eat, but you never know.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Wow, I got a Dislike for this this post. I'm not sure what I did here that was offensive!

(Or maybe it was just a slip up with the fingers on a tiny cell-phone screen....)

#10 capman, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  11. mnmuskyman2011

mnmuskyman2011 Senior Member
    Staff Member BOD Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm guessing a mistake, but who knows. What you said could be extremely offensive to some people.
    I'm kidding of course, don't worry about it. :beerchug:

12. acharpenter

acharpenter Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    Dont know why Reefreak did that but dont worry about it Bill

Perhaps he is annoyed that you were not aware of the super detailed build thread Riley has? I mean 1000 gallons and ...well - read here:
    http://www.tcmas.org/v4/forums/showthread.php?57867-Riley-s-1000-gallon-fish-room-build

Riley - super uber congrats and kudos dude - but this line here - had me rolling......"they are rolled up like a taco."

Long time and many things changed since I swung by your apartment in Plymouth years ago just for a case for a controller

You are rocking it dude

#12 acharpenter, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  13. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Indeed, I do need to spend some time with that thread (and some others like it too!).

My assumption is that the dislike was just a slip with a finger. I've accidentally sent unintended friend requests and such to people I don't know on Facebook as a result of touching something accidentally on the tiny screen of my smart phone. One needs to be careful!

-----------------

Anyway, these rays are sooo cool.

14. OP
    Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    I'm super old school and log on here from a computer. Can you believe that, a computer? Ha ha, I mean it's 2016 not 2006. Nobody uses a computer anymore.

Thanks for the additional props everyone. Now just to get the thing to eat. Getting new born elasmobranchs to eat is a pain. Sometimes they do eat within a few days though. Will be calling SWE, Wet World, and World of Fish to see if they have live blackworms or ghost shrimp. Missed the cut off for any live food deliveries this week on Wednesday afternoon. Will be ordering some this weekend to get by Tuesday or Wednesday. Will be continuing to offer different dead foods in the meantime.

Feel free to PM me if you live south of hwy 62 and have spare live blackworms or feeder shrimp you'd be willing to sell.

15. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Just an fyi, as much as I don't like the place, aquatropics in crystal always has live black worms and petsmart sells ghost shrimp fairly cheap. If you can get them to bag the females with eggs, you could breed your own shrimp.

16. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Which PetsMart has ghost shrimp? Are they being sold for feeding fish (thus possibly a lower price)?

And are they living in freshwater or saltwater?

I'd love to get a bunch of them just to have in the lab tanks for students to see and observe.

Riley,

Good luck with the baby ray! Very exciting! I know little about caring for rays, but blackworms do seem like a good thing to try.

I don't know what the gestation period is for these. Is it possible the female was pregnant before you bought her, or is it almost certain that the mating took place in your tank? Hopefully it is the latter, because this would mean that more baby rays are likely in the future, I'd think!

p.s. I rarely visit TCMAS from my smart phone - I'm mostly logging in here from my computer too!

17. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Another possibility....

Would tiny earthworms (or pieces of tiny earthworms) be too big for this ray? Probably these would not be good long term food (?), but it seems the initial challenge here is just to get some sort of food in its stomach.

And with freshwater fish anyway, I've usually found that just about all fish will eat live baby brine shrimp (even surprisingly large fish... ok, not adult oscars, but adult angelfish will). In freshwater of course, they will eventually tend to settle out near the bottom, though in this case in saltwater I guess they probably would not do this so much, so maybe they would not be where the little ray would need them to be. Right after hatching though, brine shrimp tend to sink to the bottom for a few hours before becoming really active swimmers... if you could get enough newly hatched shrimp on the bottom maybe the little ray would vacuum them up? If you decapsulate the eggs first, you could feed them to the ray at the first sign of them hatching, and if you turn off the flow for a bit maybe you could have them laying about on the bottom of the tank.

Just thinking out loud here.

#17 capman, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  18. mbauma

Fishies collected:
    what size tank do you have them in?

19. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Almost all petsmart should carry them. They sell them as feeder Shrimp, I believe last time I picked some up for the lionfish I had they were .19 each. They have them in freshwater tanks as they don't have marine systems.

20. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:

To add to this great idea by Bill, you could implement one of the brine shrimp feeders that PaulB discusses on the larger forums.
    He basically builds a small container that the shrimp are housed in until the fish find this as a source of food and pick away at the shrimp. You may need to design a container that is more stationary [heavy] as I'm sure the sucking action of a ray (no matter how small) would likely toss the container around.
    Once the baby ray advances to other foods, you could still use the feeder to feed various other foods in a more controlled manner.