Where to get brackish fish?

Discussion in 'Brackish water' started by cypho, Oct 2, 2017.

1. cypho

cypho I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Do any of you know of local stores that carry brackish fish?

Looking for brackish killifish like Sheepshead Minnow(Cyprinodon variegatus), Diamond Killifish (Adinia xenica), or Mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus)

2. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

You could check with forest lake pets or tamed waters

3. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

I don't know about those kilifish, but I've gotten archerfish at Forest Lake Pets in the past (like, 10 years ago), and World of Fish used to always have a brackish tank (I never saw those killifish though).

4. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Gulf Specimens Marine Laboratories sells sheepshead minnows and the Fundulus you are looking for: http://www.gulfspecimen.org/specimen/fish/boney-fish/

Unfortunately, I think maybe they only sell to researchers and educational institutions (and their shipping charges tend to be really expensive).

Matt Pederson has lots of connections around the world, including some connections in the Fl Keys. He might be able to special order some of these for you (I know sheepshead minnows are common in the Keys - I've observed them and caught them there). I don't know whether collectors in the Keys are in a position to be collecting and shipping right now though.

I'm also finding a number of different sources for sheepshead minnows in a Google search (I know nothing about the companies selling them though).

5. Chonnyboy

Chonnyboy Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Forest lake pets. I've seen brackish fish at world of fish also. Good luck

6. Fiver

Aqualand usually has a brackish section. I've seen archers, chromide cichlids and other species in the back room.