Which refuge light should I be using?

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by gasman, Jan 31, 2018.

1. gasman

gasman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

I'm looking to replace the cheap LED fixture over the fuge and was wondering what people are using. I have a fuge that's about 12"x30"x24+" deep(tall). I was looking for something with the right light wavelength meant to grow algae. I was thinking about a Kessil fixture but, being as spendy as they are, I was amazed to find out the H380 has no light intensity adjustment. What are some other units people are using?

Bob

2. cheezybuda

cheezybuda I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

I'm using the good ol white box LEDs. eBay special

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3. Guido5526

Guido5526 Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

The cheap black box ufo grow light from eBay is what I use and grows my sea lettuce quite well. Ordered a flat cob led grow light that I'm going to use in my ats build. But I have had good luck with the cheap eBay ones.

4. Toeknee

After seeing another reefers post on changing his system over to the triton method I noticed the lights he was using over his fuge and picked one up myself...$20.00

5. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this grow light.
    I was considering this style of lights for use in a smaller design of my ATS units. I was looking at a 24w model that claimed it uses 60x 0.5w LEDs (which would be 30w, correct?) so I haven’t purchased one yet for inspection. I think the 30w fixture might be enough light for a small ATS unit as my larger 300w fixture is dimmed down to just above its lowest “on” setting.

6. Toeknee

Grow light is very bright and looks to be built well..I have seen other people use this light on ATS units...so far the only thing I don't like about it is the power supply has the transformer built into the plug...so it takes some space up on my DC8...other than that its growing my chaeto pretty well...would be interesting PAR and spectrum test between this light and a Kessil h380...

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Flounder

Flounder BRS Reef Squad!
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Running kessil380
    Had dimmable 300w Chinese ebay blackbox.
    Happy with kessil.
    But I have the height to mount 18" or higher.

20180125_195848.jpg

8. Bodegus

Bodegus I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

I use this guy (highest wattage for the price). Also fits my skilly fuge effectively

Amazon

#8 Bodegus, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2018
  9. curlyq

I'm digging this up from a long time ago, but what was the conclusion with the flat amazon light Toeknee?

10. Flounder

Flounder BRS Reef Squad!
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

11. jlanger

@curlyq If you're looking for some inexpensive grow lights... psst.

12. curlyq

@jlanger :( Your link doesn't work.

Yes, I'm looking for inexpensive grow lights. Debating I think between these two:
    UFO Led:

TaoTronics Green or Gold (don't know which one or why yet):

(sorry for the huge gaps in the page, the link is goofy)

13. curlyq

Hmmm - is that post a for sale post? I'm unfortunately not an "official" member to see those threads anymore. I moved out east last year, but still lurk on here because you guys have more active/useful threads and information than my local club here.

14. DarkSky

DarkSky I contributed!

I wonder how effective a $10 clamp light would be with one of those $20 grow LED bulbs off of Amazon.

15. jlanger

Yeah, sorry.
    CF Grow CF-UT02

16. Nickz

Nickz Senior Member
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

My first ats used this and it worked well

17. Thomas E

I'll be trying this on my build with a eshopp adv200. Anyone have any experience with with these type of COB grow lights? It says it's a true 50w.

18. curlyq

Somethings not quite right with that light description on amazon. Looking at the spot diameter image, the first “spot” shows a height of 1 meter, with a spot diameter of 340.2cm. Converting hear units, it is trying to say that at a height of just over 3 feet, it has a spot diameter of just over 11 feet. They have a decimal point problem. I hypothesize that their diameter should be listed as mm not cm, making the spot diameter at 3 feet height of around 1 foot, which seems more reasonable.

One thing I really found out about while doing this research is to look carefully at the height vs spread of the light. The PAR38 bulbs, for example, have a fairly tight cone, meaning in my case I would have needed to put it fairly high (reducing available PAR) in order to get the spread of light I need. It instead am going to order the 200W UFO little get from eBay. I’ve searxhed high and low, and it seems to be the best bang for the buck right now. Several people I know out here are running this light with great results. The biggest downside is it’s not waterproof, but neither is my clamp on light either.

19. jlanger

Those lights seem very similar to ones that I picked up this summer for a project; although I tried the 100w and 200w CF Grow lights.
    They put out a bright light, but what didn't work for my application was the passive cooling that is designed into the fixture. The fixtures do get quite warm if there isn't adequate ventilation. I'm not sure how this would affect overall performance long term, but I much prefer a fixture with cooling fans to keep the fixture cool. I suppose if the fixture does get too warm, you could always have a small fan moving air through your stand; if it's in a stand.

Those UFO fixtures are built very much like most standard Chinese LED grow lights. I use the larger versions of the fixtures in my ATS units and they've worked very well.
    Yeah, they're not waterproof but there're plenty of items we place near the water that aren't.