White stringy slime

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by Oahu, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Oahu

Oahu Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    This is driving me nuts. What is this stuff? It’s all over the rock, in the sump, attached to power heads, etc...[​IMG]
    Only using RO/DI SG is 1.025 temp is 78, 0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Been up for over a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. cheezybuda

cheezybuda I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    It's bacterial slime. When you say "been up for over a month" is that to say that this is a new tank? If you have a new tank or a jump in bioload, you can get this slime. Are you running biopellets?

3. OP
    Oahu

Oahu Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    I had this tank downstairs running for a couple of months with almost nothing in it. The heater was on almost 24/7 trying to keep the water temp up. I took the tank down, as it sat for a few weeks with no water. I started over with the tank upstairs; new sand (80 pounds), the existing 50lbs of live rock and fresh RO/DI saltwater. I had a cloudy mess for a week as it immediately went through a bacterial bloom. Them the water cleared to crystal clear for a couple of weeks. It had already cycled. I added one true perc last weekend, which is the only living thing in the tank besides CUC. The only other thing that has changed is I installed new lights. I had the black box 2 x 165W over the tank. I bought 2 new Radion XR15W Pro's which I really like. Possibly now having more light than ever, it may have spiked a second bacterial bloom? The skimmer has been going nuts. I change the filter sock every day as it fills up with snot. It's pretty gross to say the least. Not running any media or reactors.

4. cheezybuda

cheezybuda I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I'm pretty confident that it is a second bacterial bloom. The addition of the clown as well as the nutrient breakdown from the first bloom likely were the main cause. The light probably wouldn't have been a major contributor. I would recommend making sure you have adequate air exchange as these blooms can use up a lot of oxygen. If the clown starts to breath heavily, the oxygen is likely too low. Keep doing what you are doing.... a clean skimmer and keep changing your filter socks It may be helpful to use a hose to siphon the slime away. I suspect that it will resolve itself once the microbiological biome equilibrates.

5. OP
    Oahu

Oahu Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Thank you. Right now I'm alternating filter socks. One day I'll use the felt and the other a mesh. Washing and soaking in RO/DI every day. Ugh. I made a fresh 10G of saltwater last night so I can siphon the sand bed tonight and the overflow. I'll do another water change this weekend. I took a toothbrush and scrubbed the rocks last night since the water was crappy anyways. Sand bed is destroyed with everything I brushed off the rocks. Luckily the good bacteria reproduces fairly quickly. Now it is a waiting game for it to dominate the bad bacteria.

6. OP
    Oahu

Oahu Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Good news is, looks like I am winning this battle. Did a 10% water change last night, and siphoned the sand bed. My Percula started rubbing against my arm as I was siphoning so I'm not sure if it was mad or happy. The bacterial cloud (looked like someone poured milk in the tank last week), has cleared this afternoon and back to clear or mostly clear water. I'm getting a few more crabs and some snails tonight to help eat some of the algae growing.