Winstonville 40 breeder

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Leicester56, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    If you have read my "Puffer in a reef" thread, you know that I am having a little issue with a Central American snarpnose puffer in my reef tank. "Winston" is not the best Reef inhabitant, but he is an amazing fish. After very little thought, I decided it was a "reasonable" idea to start up a second tank to house this little rascal.

The plan is to build a pretty basic FOWLR system with perhaps a softy or two. Low maintainence is key.

Basics
    1. 40 gallon breeder drilled in the back panel with 2X1 inch holes and an acrylic overflow.
    2. Stand- Intetsting metal stand retrofitted with stained plywood that magnetically skins the stand. There is a bit of rust on the stand, but only in regions not seen when skinned.
    3. Sump- 20 gallon long with two compartments (skimmer and return)
    4. Drain- Plan to use both drilled holes for a Herbie drain system and will run the return over the back wall of the tank.
    5. Skimmer- Reef Octopus 110int
    6. Return pump- Eheim 3000
    7. Lights- Still weighing options. Currently have a two ballast 36" T5NO (not HO). May run an actinic and a 10,000 bulb in there. Considering adding, or replacing with a stunner strip or two depending on how things go.
    8. Canopy- Something quick and simple for now just to keep the cats out Will build something more substantial when my garage/shop is a little warmer. :)
    9. Live rock- 15lbs from the sump of my 120 reef along with another 40lbs of acid washed rock.
    10. Substrate- 40lbs ecocomplete live sand

Livestock- looking to keep bioload pretty light:
    1. Winston (a currently 2 inch puffer)
    2. Diamond Goby for sand maintenance and also because I have always wanted one.

Corals:
    Low light, low flow, low maintenance. Maybe some disco mushrooms in several colors or patterns. Green hairy shrooms and hopefully some coraline algae.

Pics to come. Long Live Winston, Mayor of Winstonville!

2. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Excited to see some pics of Winstonville!

3. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    The basic build is complete aside from bonding the PVC plumbing. The hood was constructed with a good frame but junk exterior. I will give it a proper skin when it is a bit warmer out. IMG_0748.JPG IMG_0749.JPG

4. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Looking nice, keep us updated please

5. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Looks sweet! Canopy will look like the stand? Black frame with wood panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Yes. That's the plan. Since the front panel is just a single piece of 1/2 inch plywood I will just replace it and stain it along with the canopy. Will likely try to find a stain as close to this one as possible just because I like it.

7. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Winstonville is up and running! As you can see in the attached pic, the sand is still settling. Hopefully, with 15 gallons of aged water and 20lbs of live rock from my 120 reef, the system should cycle quickly in theory. A couple of changes:
    1. Decided to use a single HD prime for lighting and will add a couple cheap blue LED strips on the ends to fill out the light. Used a hanging kit and have it suspended from the canopy. In the pick the light is on the lowest setting at the moment, to prevent algae blooms during the cycle.

2. Added a reefkeeper lite to make sure I don't fry the fish if/when the heater goes on the fritz.

3. Purchased a Jebao PP-15 to provide changing currents to minimize dead spots.

4. The herbie drain on this one came out extremely quiet, which is a bonus since the tank is in the master bedroom.

IMG_0755.JPG

#7 Leicester56, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  8. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Looks great. Ive always wanted a bedroom tank but worry about noise. Glad to hear you have it nice and quiet.

As for other fish, maybe a dwarf lion would be a cool addition. Although that doesn't coincide with your low waste/nutrient plan. I think they are pretty messy. I would shoot for something else unique that you wouldn't risk putting in a full reef.

Great start!

9. eschulist

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    How about these guys? They stay fairly small

Radiata Lionfish

[​IMG]

Golden Dwarf Moray Eel

[​IMG]

10. Chonnyboy

Chonnyboy Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
  11. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Lionfish are amazing, but I am not into having to feed live items (too much hassle getting them). Anyone have luck feeding thawed items?

#11 Leicester56, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  12. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Lionfish are really good about eating frozen foods; krill, silversides, shrimp and squid. If they don't eat immediately, use a feeding stick to entice the fish into a hunting response by shaking the food in front of them. Once they know the scent of the selected food items, they'll eagerly find the food themselves.
    Same for the eels, but they're much easier to get to eat frozen foods; they're not as picky.

13. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Eschuliat and Jlanger have inspired me! I have settled on adding a fuzzy dwarf lionfish to the tank as the second inhabitant. Hopefully with only a single Tobie puffer and fuzzy dwarf lionfish, the bioload will still be reasonable. Also, it seems the fuzzy dwarf lionfish is USUALLY pretty easy to switch over to frozen food. More to come.

#13 Leicester56, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Alright! Updates:

1. Fish. Winstonville has its first fish. . . and surprisingly, it's not Winston. Apparently, this puffer has caught on to me as I have been unsuccessful on 3 occasions in my attempts to catch him in my 120 gallon for transfer. Luckily, I now have a fish trap that hopeful will make all things right. :).
    What I do have, is a 3" Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish named Ripley. Thank you all for getting me to look a little deeper into this group of fish. This is an amazing fish. Went through a couple of days of experimenting with feeding frozen items, and now it is readily eating krill fed with tongs. Not a single live meal was needed to achieve this, which makes it a win win situation!

IMG_0847.JPG

2. The PP-15 powerhead was way too much current for the tank, so I switched to a set of PP-4's. Very pleased with them.
    3. Corals: Threw in a discosoma mushroom to see if how well it does. As mentioned before, trying to keep light pretty low so likely just a couple mushrooms and maybe a tube anemone or two to make the set up pop a bit.

#14 Leicester56, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  15. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    So. . . another quick update:

1. Fuzzy dwarf lionfish- Even more personable than the puffer. He literally begs for food every time I walk by the tank in the evening. Now eats anything frozen/thawed that even touches the water surface. For a slow moving fish, they can really move when motivated by a good chunk of foods :)

2. Discosoma mushroom seems to be pretty happy under the HD prime set at only 20% of max (about 11 watts). Only blues, purple, and a touch of white for spectrum. I have the shroom about 8 inches under the surface and about 2 inches lateral to the LED fixture. Provided it continues to do well, may add a couple other softies.

3. Still trying to move the puffer from the 120 reef tank over to the 40breeder without success. Been using a fish trap with a fishing line rigged door, but little Winston is smarter than the average fish. While my other fish will venture in to get the bait, the puffer won't go in it even partially. I know some puffers sleep on the glass, but as luck would have it, mine sleeps deep in my rockwork so I am unable to collect him while sleeping unless I tear down half the reef. I almost got him using two nets the other night, so I am holding out hope that I may yet be able to get him with that technique.

#15 Leicester56, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  16. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
  17. eschulist

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Super cool fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. OP
    Leicester56

Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Almost 1 year in on my “side project” tank. Dwarf fuzzy lionfish = an awesome aquarium pet. My friend Ripley enjoys a quiet life alone in the 40 breeder initially set up for a pufferfish (never did catch that bugger from the bigger tank). She eats anything offered on tongs, which makes life easy.
    Couple mushrooms, a plate coral, big polyp blasto, and a big tree of (insert proper name) in the back.
    Not the best video of the tank, but really shows off Ripley’s colors.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    A Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish tank has always been one of the set ups that I wish I do. They're really interesting to watch even though they're not the most active swimmers; always looking for their next meal.
    Very cool, Will!

• Like Like x 1