Yeah I know......

Discussion in 'Softy Corals' started by bcub30, Mar 20, 2016.

1. bcub30

Fishies collected:
    Some people call them a plague and or a weed, but I like blue clove polyps. Picked some up at AcanLords the other day. I know they can spread like crazy but I am willing to deal with it. Most of my corals are LPS that are capable of some pretty mean sweepers.[​IMG]

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Bryon they really look great! Steven has some great looking corals, like stopping in there.

#2 cathorn, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  3. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Really I can handle the spreading if it were like green star polyps and just grows out from the matt. Blue cloves though spawn and you end up with little patches everywhere. I've got large zoanthid colonies that now have blue cloves mixed it. You cant sell or trade the zoas in this condition. I'm still dealing with the aftermath. You can sorta pick them out from the zoanthids really going to have to frag off parts that have not spread too and waste lots of polyps.

I really like the blue cloves but was not expecting how uncontrollable they really were.

#3 David Grigor, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  4. deneed4spd

deneed4spd Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    I had the same issue. They spawned in my tank and literally every space imaginable was covered in this stuff. Beware...

5. acharpenter

acharpenter Administrator
    Staff Member Site Admin BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee

Fishies collected:
    I have hoped and prayed the 3"x1" frag of Blue Cloves I have would take over in my tank! Alas - anyone who doesn't want these spreading in thier tanks get them out of control and anyone who would be happy to have it happen (myself) they stay on the same plug for a year....lol

6. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Fishies collected:
    Diddo what David said. My tank is a blue mat. My corals are fine. Just no spots for anything new.

7. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    David,

I've had this happen with zoanthids too. An interesting observation though: It seems the blue clove polyps don't tolerate lower light very well. For example, when I moved my colonies that I got from you and Mandarin Jake to my tank by the window with the red algae (natural sunlight, especially in the summer, but inadequate lighting over that tank otherwise), the blue clove polyps declined gradually and I almost lost them. In contrast, zoanthids will typically hold on under those sorts of lighting conditions. I moved a blue-clove infested zoanthid colony to one of those tanks that was basically just getting natural window light at the time, and the zoanthids survived (didn't grow much if at all, but survived), but the blue cloves seemed to gradually die off.

I've not experimented with this really carefully, but this might be something to try.

#7 capman, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  8. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    Indeed, while I haven't experimented with this a lot, it has not seemed that the blue cloves are necessarily super aggressive in terms of harming other corals they come into contact with. They just grow all over the place. And the biggest issue with this is that their stolons are so thin and delicate that it seems pretty much impossible to pick them off of rocks, or out of zoanthid colonies.

They sure are darn pretty though!

In our new aquarium facility in our new building I'm going to want to keep them around for teaching purposes, but in a separate system (e.g., maybe in the tank I'll have set up for quarantine of new fish?).