Zoas Melting

Discussion in 'Zoanthids' started by Fisherman7, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Fisherman7

Fisherman7 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    As you can see in the first picture I had a nice zoa garden growing with the green zoas covering the bottom right rock. In the second picture they are almost all gone. The red ones are still doing well but I have noticed that the skirt/tentacles aren't as long as they used to be on the red ones. The first picture was taking January 11 and the second picture was taking March 8. Since January they have been slowly disappearing and I can't figure out why. The Nem in the picture didn't split until March 8 and prior to that it hadn't moved an inch since the first picture was taken. I've been testing my water parameters which hasn't changed much if at all: NO3~0, PO4=.06, Ca=420, ALK=9.2, Sal=1.0255, Temp=77, PH=8.2, Mg=1420. I haven't changed my LED intensity, I did add a Vortech on the other side of the tank, but that just replaced a powerhead that I had there before. Just about everything else is growing in the tank. My Acros, Montis, Duncans and ricordeas are growing...... slowly but surely. My acans haven't exactly been themselves but they bounce back. My war coral is the only one that's receded along with the zoas but it seems to be making a recovery. I have also noticed some cyano starting to show up on the sand.

Does anybody have a theory or an idea of what's going on and how I can try to save them?

image.jpg image.jpg

#1 Fisherman7, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. Kepler

Kepler Former: Koletang

Fishies collected:
  3. quackslayer

Fishies collected:
  4. KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    So are his zoas. lol

5. OP
    Fisherman7

Fisherman7 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    Sorry about that, it seems like it has problems uploading over LTE.

6. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    If it helps, I've had large colonies just melt away and never an explanation. Just happens sometimes. Unless you can find a pest by dipping, could be bacterial something as well. Test what you can, inspect for pests, dip them is about all you can do.

Just as frustrating as sps just melting one day.

7. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Fishies collected:
    This sort of situation is a good argument for sharing one's favorite and/or most valuable corals as widely as possible, which guards against total loss of a coral should a disaster like this happen in your tank. I've had really thriving tanks that seemed as robust as could be (for as long as 7 or 8 years or so at a stretch) and then had disasters (some due to equipment issues or other such things, and some for mysterious reasons) that wiped out favorite corals that I had had growing vigorously and in abundance. In some cases I've been able to get them back again because I had given away frags to many people.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    Fisherman7

Fisherman7 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Fishies collected:
    It does help to know that a seasoned vet like yourself has had the same issue. I'll try to do some more observation. It would be nice to know that I'm doing something wrong so that I can fix it.