180g New House Build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Ben Nicholls, Jul 23, 2018.

1. AmyZ

AmyZ I am the MOTHER
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

LMFAO
    Once you get everything moved you'll have to post a pic

2. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

All the fish but one have been move. No casualties. They seem to really like their new home. It was interesting watching them greet their friends as they came over. I would put a moved fish in. It would hide for a minute until it saw a fish it knew, then it would immediately come out and start swimming around with its old friend.

All corals and nems are perking up in the new tank.

This weekend I tear down the old tank so I can get it out of my daughter's house. I'll be moving over the Apex, the Hydra 52's, and the ATS. It will be nice having the Apex on the new tank.

I also need to find the orchid dottyback, he went into stealth mode when I was catching the last few fish. Should be able to catch him when I start tearing down.

• Like Like x 1
  3. acharpenter

acharpenter Pitas' Pita
    Site Admin BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Loving this build thread - tank is looking awesome!

4. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Finished taking down the old tank and got it off to its new owner yesterday. Found a lot more hermit crabs than I thought I had. I also found a live clam in the rubble rock in the sump. The last fish turned up and was transferred.

For today the task hooking up the Apex on the new tank as well as all the sensors and the two older Hydra's. Gotta make a hardware store run for some plumbing parts for the ATS and flow sensors and a stand for the ATS. I'll post updated pictures once I get all the lights on the tank.

5. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Lights up and WAV's running

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. OP
    Ben Nicholls

This has been one long weekend. All the equipment is now on the new tank. Adjusted some of the programming and decided I did not need the EB8. Just used a regular power strip for the things like the Hydras which are Apex controlled directly. Got the flow meters installed. The old tank DC pump is running at 50% and supplying the ATS with the required 400 GPH. The COR-20 on the return is doing 830 GPH. I can tell the flow sensor does restrict the flow a little. I had to close down the gate valves a little on the full siphon overflow lines. Right now water movement looks good in the tank. I can always add a third WAV if I need more.

Should be all ready for frags from the swap in October.

Sump area needs some wire management. That will be for another day.

[​IMG]

The left partition of the sump is for RO water for the ATO. I do have to figure out how to stop siphoning when the RO water is higher than the sump water.

[​IMG]

7. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Congrats on the smooth transfer!
    On paper, transferring a reef doesn’t sound like a lot of work, but it is; and it’s exhausting work. I completely feel your need to take a break before finalizing the finer details.
    As far as wire management is concerned... If both ends of the wires/cables are connected to their respective parts and they function correctly, what else is there to do??? ;)

8. acharpenter

acharpenter Pitas' Pita

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!

OMG - my OCD with this gahhhhhh!!!

9. OP
    Ben Nicholls

One hardware casualty, One of my WAVs is dead. Shows as "missing" in Fusion. Neptune is doing an RMA to look at it. This is a set of two I got in the initial release. One died 1.5yr, this one made it to 3yr.

Here's a couple pictures without the reflections from the window facing the tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. livestuff

livestuff I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Wow that's awesome. Great job can't wait to see it in person .

11. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Two of the fish have broken out with ich. The trigger and the powder blue. No livestock has been added to the tank, just what was brought over. Previous tank has had no sign of ich for at least 5 years. I did add some live rock, but that had been sitting without fish since April. Must have been dormant somewhere.

12. acharpenter

acharpenter Pitas' Pita

Going to treat them in the display I am guessing?

Keep the rest in QT??

13. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Don't have a QT and was not planning on setting one up. I've had a lot better results with just riding ich out than any time I've tried more invasive means.

This ich is a bit of a mystery it had to have come one of two ways;

1. It's been in the tank since the last time I saw any signs 5 years ago and just been kept in check by the fish's immune systems.
    2. It survived on the new live rock without hosts for 5 months (rock was stored wet without fish since April).

I did pick up a cleaner shrimp last night since my previous two had died shortly before the move. He had quite the line of fish trying to get cleaned. Of course being in a new tank he was having none of it. I know the prevailing wisdom is cleaning shrimp don't take care of ich, but the fish seem to like having one in there.

14. curlyq

Unless you had your rock in a tank with fish, I'm thinking #2 is out. More than likely (from my experience), it was dormant and you have healthy fish. A breakout isn't out of the question during a stressful move.

With respect to an earlier post you were trying to figure out how to prevent siphon when your RO is higher than tank water....you have a pump or something drawing it up from one side and into the other, right? Just make sure your output of the tube is higher than the highest expected level of the RO side and you won't get a siphon.

15. OP
    Ben Nicholls

The fish are all fat and healthy. If anything I tend to feed on the heavier side. Hoping they'll all pull through since the most likely outbreak cause is move stress and the ich was already in the tank and had been for years.

Thought about raising the output, but am trying to keep it closer to the sump water level to avoid splashing (dosing tubes are in the same holder). I am going to try putting in a T on the output side with a check valve. My thought is the check valve will close when the pump is on, and open to let in air when it is off. That should break the siphon if it works. If not, I'll raise the output side.

16. curlyq

Yup, I've been there with trying to avoid splashing. There's a few more tricks you can still try though. You can have the output of the RO tube go into a tube with a large enough diameter so the RO tube doesn't seat tight - think of putting a 1/2" PVC tube into a 2" PVC tube.

Also, with your check valve idea - I'm not sure that'll work when the RO is higher than the sump. The pressure gradient will still be pushing water from the RO chamber into your sump, putting pressure against the check valve (if I'm thinking of this right).

Also, I don't think you'll need a check valve after your "T", as long as the opening of the "T" and/or any extra tubing on the side of the "T" higher than the maximum height of the RO chamber.

17. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Replacement WAV pump arrived so my flow is back up to normal. Got them tuned to make a nice back and forth wave when it is in pipeline or pulse mode.

Ich has subsided. All fish are still looking healthy. I'll see if I get another wave of it. If I do hopefully it is lighter.

18. OP
    Ben Nicholls

The ich is undetectable on all the fish now other than the powder blue. He only has a couple spots whereas he was almost completely covered in them during the initial outbreak. All fish including the PB are behaving normally.

The tank is starting to get a bit of cyano and other slime type nuisance algae. Nothing excessive and typical of a 2-3 month old tank.

At the swap I got a zoa and a couple SPS. The zoa melted within 2 days. The two SPS frags are looking good. Everything brought over from the old tank is also still doing well.

19. curlyq

What did you ever end up doing for your ATO?

20. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Ended up just moving the output up. Splashing does not appear to be an issue at the slow rate of the ATO.