180g New House Build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Ben Nicholls, Jul 23, 2018.

1. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

Algae outbreak is starting to diminish. I've started putting on a filter sock when I blow the crud off the rocks. I don't run them continually as I think they also catch good things that circulate (pods).

Just replaced the heads on my DOS. It is an original release from 2015. A bit past due for the recommended 2 year replacement.

I also finally hooked up the second DOS that has been sitting in the box for a couple months. I now have continual water change running. No more siphoning and hauling jugs.

• Like Like x 2
  2. OP
    Ben Nicholls

So since the setup of the auto water change my salinity reading has gone down by 0.2 a day. First thing I think is there is something wrong with the fresh salt water line. Everything checks out and the ATO reservoir is also not going down any faster than normal. DOS calibration pulls exactly 40ml from both the new salt and waste salt lines. Checks with a refractometer also show salt levels normal. Yet the salinity reading continues to drop.

Finally this morning I pulled out the salinity probe, give it a good brushing, and put it back. Reading now back to normal.

I usually brush the tips off weekly without removing them but looks like this one needed a bit of extra cleaning this week.

3. OP
    Ben Nicholls

New tank shot

[​IMG]

The Elegance I got at the swap.

[​IMG]

The 1/4" line I was using in the salt tank for the auto water change was floating too much. Here's my weight idea. A piece of PVC with a hole drilled in for the line. It weights the line nicely and keeps it off the bottom.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Fun time this evening. I was doing some unrelated electrical work that required shutting off the breaker to the tank. When power turned back on the COR20 refused to start. It is giving a low voltage error and it looks to me like the power brick it dead. Opened a support ticket since it is in warranty.

The fun came because I still have my old AC return pump as a spare. Problem is it is not the same size plumbing. Emergency Menard's run and some PVC cutting and gluing and I have the spare going. When I re-install the COR I will plumb it so they are switchable.

5. OP
    Ben Nicholls

I was surprised Neptune responded to the ticket late Sunday evening. I was expecting to have to wait until this morning. They believe it is a bad power supply like I thought. They've already put in an order for the replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  6. livestuff

livestuff I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Glad u did powering down yourself and found this now instead of a power outage while not home..

7. OP
    Ben Nicholls

The only thing I can think of is there must have been just enough of a surge when the breaker was turned back on that the bad power supply could not take it.

8. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Got the replacement power supply and the COR is up and running again. Was thinking maybe I should get a spare power supply, then thought no since I do have a spare pump.

My corals seem to have gone into a growth spurt. I've been having to up my dosing daily to keep within the Trident control range I have set. Without the constant testing I would not have seen that until I got around to doing a manual test and found everything was way low.

• Like Like x 3
  9. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Tank seems to be moving out of its "ugly" stage. Nuisance algae is in sharp decline and corals are visibly growing. 2-Part dosing in the last week has gone from 57ml to 100ml. I've been having to increase daily. Been doing a few extra Trident tests to be able to make sure I am increasing the correct amount. The demand went up so sharply this week it was more than the limits I have on Trident control can keep up with.

• Like Like x 1