50 Gallon Cube

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Justin715, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

IMG_20180313_190612.jpg IMG_20180313_190630.jpg IMG_20180313_190659.jpg IMG_20180313_190709.jpg IMG_20180313_191417.jpg IMG_20180313_191744.jpg IMG_20180313_191916.jpg So unfortunately I had to miss the meeting this evening, my first meeting and I missed it. Sorry y'all, I feel bad. On the brighter side of things at 7:15pm this evening I finally received shipment of; my new SCA 50 gallon cube, rustic grey stand, SCA 301 skimmer, atman ph2500 return pump, filter floss, media balls, sponge media, overflow cover, 18.5 gallon glass sump, reef link, G4 radion xr15 pro. I'm still waiting for an ecotech mp10wqd and xrs mounting arm for the xr15. I may not be updating this for awhile as this won't be set up until the beginning of June. I'm new and still collecting everything needed to properly run and care for this aquarium and it's soon to be inhabitants. Thanks for reading this and I hope to meet you all soon enough.

#1 Justin715, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. postie1686

postie1686 Senior Member

I had their 150 gallon tank and loved everything about it. The only suggestion i will make is the tubing that used to some with it was very thin walled. I replaced all of it with the clear stuff that has the fibers in it. The original seemed to become brittle after it was on the tank a couple months... but congrats on the tank!!!

3. Nickz

Nickz Just some guy
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

That's a better reason to miss a meeting than I had tonight. Looks like you got some fun ahead. I wouldn't be able to wait until June, I'd be setting it up and getting it cycling this weekend.

4. OP
    Justin715

Definitely excited to get started. More equipment to buy and a vacation in May is what's keeping me from starting sooner. @postie1686 I plan to hard plumb the entire setup, and thank you.

5. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Congrats. Nice looking setup, keep us updated.

6. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Nice set up!

To speed up the process after your vacation, start cycling your rock early; even now. Then all you need to do is throw everything into the tank when you’re home and it’s off to the races!

7. OP
    Justin715

Good idea thanks for the tip. So I forgot to add quite a bit of info when posting this last night, I'll just add it now.
    My goal for this tank is to keep a pair of mandarin dragonets, it's a dealbreaker. I realize everything involved in feeding and keeping one and will make sure I have the environment for one first. (great pod colony + DIY bbs feeder) Ok now that's out of the way, I'd like a pair of clowns, a wrasse or two, sand sifting goby, royal gramma. Corals; gotta have frogspawn or torches for movement, toadstool, and some zoas. Also would eventually like a BTA for the clowns. As for the sump I will KISS at first, running mini refugium of chaeto in the middle chamber, skimmer and return on the right side with the drain and a filter sock setup being on the left. Tank is drilled for a herbie, I will hard plumb it. Recently I grabbed a used Apex system to run everything. (Thanks Carl)

My list of things needed before "LAUNCH" is still quite long and maybe you guys here could help me figure out what needs to be purchased first. Possibly cut down on extras. I will eventually build that diy ATS from members here.
    Things needed.
    1. Red Sea salt blue bucket 175gallon
    2. BRS reef saver rock 50lb
    3. special grade arag alive sand 30lb
    4. red sea marine care test kit
    5. BRS 4 stage rodi 150gpd plus kit
    6. IC Gel glue for rocks
    7. calibration fluid for pH probe
    8. Dr. Tim's one & only
    9. Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride
    10. taotronics led refugium light
    11. sicce syncra silent 1.5 for water mixing, filling and changes
    12. Tunze ATO

I planned to buy everything (except the taotronics fuge light) from BRS during a group buy promo through here or R2R

8. OP
    Justin715

So today I received my tank mount and mp10 as well as a few back issues of coral magazine that I ordered. Oops, they accidentally sent me Hitchhikers instead of Dragonets, hopefully they'll send me the correct issue.
    Been thinking of what jlanger said and I may cycle a single rock (cost reasons) until I set everything up...Is this even advantageous cycling one rock? Also yesterday I cleaned my old 5 gal freshwater glofish tank that will be used as my QT. Slowly getting things ready. Many more things to acquire and now vacation will be eating up the rest of my money so I may not post too many updates on this until June.
    IMG_20180327_171117.jpg IMG_20180327_171057.jpg IMG_20180327_171015.jpg

9. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I have the dragonets magazine if you don't get it soon. Mandarins have been my passion for years and i hope that you have success. Make sure to find healthy fish to purchase (even aquacultured fish), and I would really focus on your tank inhabitants. The goal should be to get them on frozen food as fast as possible to suppliment a strong, constant pod population. You'll want to avoid fish that are fast and will be competition for food (like wrasses).

10. OP
    Justin715

Mandarin_Jake; Thank you for the tips. My hope (fingers crossed) is to buy a Biota mandarin from algae barn, live aquaria or Biota aquariums themselves. I do realize they usually sell out in minutes each time they're for sale that's why I say with fingers crossed. Either way I will do my due diligence and won't put them in until I have an established ecosystem for them to thrive.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OP
    Justin715

So a little update here, no big ticket items yet like RO/DI system, salt mix, or rock as next month's vacation has priority over everything right now. But I did make it to the TCMAS frag swap expo last weekend in the blizzard...fun times ;)
    I'll start right where I left off; Coral magazine rushed me the correct issue of Dragonets:D
    Now, I ended up bringing a bunch of things home from the from the swap and few items from last month for my setup. That said I'd like to thank everyone here for the help acquiring these items.
    4 Coral magazines
    IM return pump 476 GPH (to be used for saltwater mixing/pumping to DT)
    Kent tank scraper
    IM magnetic probe rack nano (4 probe slots 2 dose tube slots)
    25ft silicone airline tubing
    4x 200 micron filter socks
    2x used BRS dosing pumps
    used Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer
    used Fluval Sea wavemaker
    used IM gourmet defroster
    used 2LF magnetic veggie clip
    used Vertex refractometer
    used Hanna alk checker ppm (Just needs re-agent)
    Light hanging kit (in case I don't like the RMS tank mount)
    used 10 gallon tank for QT
    used 20 gallon tank will be set up as clown tank for my daughter
    used Aqueon Quietflow 30 came with the 20gal, will stay with it for her clown tank
    40lb bag Carib Sea Ocean Direct live sand
    30lb bag Carib Sea Aragamax Select sand
    2x Mag Float glass cleaners 1 small for daughter's 20 clown tank 1 medium for my SCA 50
    And on top of all that stuff I won a big raffle there; behind the scenes tour of the MN Zoo's Discovery Bay. Not sure who's more excited between my daughter and myself.
    IMG_20180419_103336.jpg IMG_20180419_104616.jpg IMG_20180419_104707.jpg IMG_20180419_104758.jpg IMG_20180419_104844.jpg IMG_20180419_105006.jpg IMG_20180419_105036.jpg IMG_20180419_105157.jpg IMG_20180419_105355.jpg IMG_20180419_105512_1.jpg IMG_20180419_105632.jpg IMG_20180419_105655.jpg IMG_20180419_105804.jpg IMG_20180419_105833.jpg IMG_20180419_110004.jpg

12. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

That's quite the haul!!! But that's what these events are supposed to be about.
    I especially am jealous of the last item; the behind-the-scenes tour. I put in plenty of tickets for that one! I thought it would be more interesting from the staff side of things since my son will be heading off to college to pursue marine sciences. Sure... it'd be fun to feed the sharks, but I get to do that any day; for now.

• Like Like x 2
  13. OP
    Justin715

14. OldNemo

OldNemo Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I cycled my rock in advance while I was building my stand for my 93 cube. If you have not already done so, just throw a couple pieces in with some Dr. Tim's or Bio Spira, you can add a piece or two along the way until you are ready to get the tank wet. Following along.

15. OP
    Justin715

Unfortunately right now I'm not spending a dollar on anything for this build until I'm back from vacation. I really should have bought some rock to start cycling but I don't even have an RO/DI system or salt or dr tims yet...so that will have to wait until I have those things and can properly cycle and care for everything.

16. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President

Good start and game plan so far.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RSnodgrass

Any updates or just laying low?

18. OP
    Justin715

I had another back surgery so I'm recovering and collecting equipment still. I have a bunch of things coming up over the next 9-12 months so I may not be able to even start set up until this time next year.
    I need to get retrained by the disability insurance company to get back into the workforce, I am also trying to refinance so I can bulldoze my current house and start to build a new one in spring.
    All that being said my surgery was a corrective surgery and successful so I will be able to make close to a full recovery. Can't wait to see y'all again this fall.

• Like Like x 2
  19. RSnodgrass

Been a long road, glad to hear that good prognosis!

• Like Like x 1
  20. OP
    Justin715

It's been a while since my last update, unfortunately no new house any time soon also no full recovery I had a setback during PT, life goes on, so will I.

So here's where I'm at right now:

I now have two new Eheim Jager 150 watt heaters and a BRS replacement filter kit for my 6 stage RO/DI system.

I bought a digital finnex heater and egg crate for my daughter's tank.

I'm on tight budget currently so I'm making a monthly item list.

This week for February's budget I'm ordering 80lbs of rock and E-marco 400 pink mortar. Trying to decide between Nature's Ocean Base Rock or Reef Cleaners

March - will be small bucket Salt, 44G Brute can w/ lid, Red Sea test kit and Fritz turbo start 900

April - will be all the plumbing, fittings etc.

May - will be the final pieces like QT meds, big bucket salt, King Starboard

June - My daughter needs a light for her 20G tall. Hope to grab something for her, so they can both be set up.

As you can all probably see my plan here is to get the rock, aquascape it then cycle the rock in a brute in my garage for the remaining months while I collect the final pieces like plumbing, QT meds and some King Starboard so I can go BB on this tank.

I'm also throwing around the idea of getting a Pentair UV from BRS.

• Like Like x 1