60 Gallons less the rim

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by ArcKatana, Dec 17, 2018.

1. ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

First I want to thank Beav for working with me on a custom tank. I was looking at a 3x2x2 tank and he was super helpful.

2/3/19 FTS - with regular lights installed - OceanReviveT247

60cube.JPG

The small HOB filter is for carbon - I run carbon for two days and take it off.
    1/29/19 FTS

0129191354aa.jpg

Still needing to mount the lights and move the heater, but fish have been in there overnight and seem to be good. Other than the convict tang (3") who I need to find a home for before he gets too much bigger. He's fat and eats everything.

Beginnings of the Cube o' Leathers!

I was on my way to pulling the trigger (and my reason for going to Fargo was to talk with the store there about it) when I stopped into Detroit Lakes Best Pets. I had been there before a few times - when I moved back to Mn in 2014 I found a 30G JBJ Rimless system there for around 300 bucks. They have some other stuff I was looking at also. Since it was on the way to Fargo, I pulled in. Livestock was terrible, but they had this guy in the basement: a 60G rimless and stand. I wasn't looking for the tank, but it found me.

IMG_0009.JPG

Still a little dusty, as I'm not sure where it is going just yet. I did some research and the tank is not tempered, so I could drill it. Part of me wants to, as I'd like a sump for a skimmer and/or putting another tank into the stand.

The other part of me wants to keep it super simple, and get some colonies going, like my Weeping Willow that just isn't that happy where it is now. An Aquaclear 110 and a powerhead and call it a day. I've got lights from my 30 rimless cube that will go over this guy, so other than just the AC110, I'm all set on gear.

On the sump front tho, I've got a spare 660GPH return pump in the box, the skimmer and a 10G tank I could use for the sump, and probably all the pvc.

With my 85 refugium running since February, I just need to move some stuff and the tank can be running in about two hours.

I'd like to make a fairly dramatic aquascape with this system, so I may need some cement to build the rock into the shape I'm going for.

Leather Corals only, maybe an anemone down the road. A couple of fish and that is it.

Time to get started.

#1 ArcKatana, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  2. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

After reading some really good tank builds on R2R and RC, I'm going sump and skimmer less. I want something low maintenance and easy to take care off. Since this will be a leather only tank, it should be fine. I'll have one little fish in there for now, and I think I'll top out with a total of three or four two to three inch fish. I'll have to find room for the Convict Tang (2.5") soon though.

Starting on the tank today, a bit bitter sweet as I'll be taking the 85 down to make room. Upshot is that I'll be mostly just transferring the stuff over, so no real downtime, other than completely re-arranging the living room lol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Found the new location for the tank - I think I need to add some supports, it seems a bit too wobbly for my liking.
    Dirty tank pic:
    IMG_0017.JPG

Need to get something to attach the lights, and ordered an AC110 for the back. I'll tear down my refugium tank and move stuff over into this guy once I've got everything I need.

4. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

So tumbling around my head the past couple of weeks is how to use my 30 Rimless along with the 60. Obviously the 60 would need to be drilled (the 30 is already), and I'll have to either make a new stand or figure out a way to add onto the one I have. I'm leaning towards combining the 30 into the 60 stand, and then sand and repaint/stain both of those. I'd be able to use my 75 as a sump then also. The next issue then is lighting. I've got a set of lights for the 30, which I'd use on one side of the 75 sump, so I'd need lights for the two tanks above it. I've never had radions, but I like the idea of the same color/timer on both lights. I'd like to use the 30 as a frag tank of the 60. Coverage would need to be for 24"x24" for each of them. The 30 is 12" tall, the 60 is 24".

Ideas for lights?

5. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Not radions unless used, way excessive for softies. I've had great success with razors and all kinds of softies.

Consider running a lower K rating (maybe you have) if you are adding anything like a yellow Fiji leather. It's the only way to get the yellow to pop like a pineapple.

6. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Maybe T5's? I could do both tanks with bulbs for 400ish through BRS.
    00lgjt.jpg

The Aquablues because they are awesome, the Tropics give me 6500K, the Azure are roughly 16-17K

Actually as I read more the fixtures come with 6500k bulbs already, so I can drop the Tropics. Two fixtures with bulbs are now roughly 370.

#6 ArcKatana, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  7. Flounder

Flounder BRS Reef Squad!
    TCMAS Supporter

I dont know of many/any fixtures that come with bulbs....

8. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

light.jpg

I had to re-read it a couple of times before I saw that. If I run one 6500k bulb in each fixture, I should be set for three years on 6500k bulbs :)

9. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Started filling it up today and started the process of taking down the 80g refugium, and the tank leaks. I noticed a darker spot under the front bottom silicone, marked it on the tank and watched it slowly expand. Two options at this point: remove and redo all the silicone on the tank, or take the panels apart and make a few plywood cubes, as I've got four sides of glass that will work. Debating both, but leaning towards the latter of the two. I'll decide later tonight and post Monday.

10. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

So I was taking down the new tank, and looked if the water level had dropped from the night before, or if there were any drips below the tank. Nada on both accounts. So I dried the tank and stand where the water was and refilled. So it looked like water had sucked underneath it through capillary action from a spill while filling. Crossing my fingers I filled it up 3/4 of the way with fresh water and let it sit for three hours. Three hours later, no leaks, no drop in water level. So I started moving stuff over from the refugium to the new tank. Just rock and the fish (and whatever macro algae was on the rock). Looking at the remainder in the tank, I found five or six aptasia I had never seen before, in the sand. So it looks like I really could have used those two small copperbands that DOA'd on me the other day.

Pic of rocks and fish moved over (need to mount the real fixture still and clean glass, and fill another three or four inches of water):

IMG_0027.JPG

11. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Updated with FTS in first post.

12. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Updated with FTS with new lights hung on first post.

13. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

So a little weekly update:

Tank is settling in now, getting some diatoms on the gravel and some crud algae on the glass - I chopped out and tossed quite a bit of macro from the refugium tank so the new stuff (prolifera and racemosa) can grow up and over the rocks. This led to the initial bloom of crappy brown algae I have now, but the three turbos love it. The diatoms are slowly dying off (only three small scarlet hermits in the tank to wander on the sand). The leathers are finally getting used to the new lights, and all have great color. I moved some leather from 6galofGreatness over and they are responding pretty well. Bonus, the monti/sps of some kind that was a blob of brown is coloring up very well - its nice and green now. Also, another hard coral is on the opposite side, but I have no clue of what it is. Pic of the leather with SPS hitchhikers:

IMG_0047.JPG

Can't get a good shot of the one on the back - I'll add it next week.