Acrylic to glass

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by klatt, Jul 30, 2020.

1. klatt

klatt Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Hello all, I currently have a 100 gallon acrylic tank that is probably 10 years old now (the tank itself; its been a reef for 5) and no matter how careful Ive been, scratches happen; and 10 years of scratches starts to get noticeable. Im also starting to notice some "crazing" happening as well. Ive been thinking about having a custom glass aquarium built to the exact dimensions of my acrylic aquarium and switching them out. I could keep all the equipment and stand. What are some issues that may come up with this switch? Im thinking Id like to replace the current rock-work as well, would this then be considered a "new" tank then? Would I be able to transfer all the fish and coral over quickly or will it require a cycle period? Do current bottles of bacteria sold allow for immediate transfers?
    One of the main reasons I would like to replace my rock-work is to get rid of my vermitid snail problem. Sand could probably be reused?

Any thoughts or advise would be helpful.

Thanks
    Klatt

2. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019 Meeting Host 2020

If you are putting anything other than established/cycled rock it will be a scratch start IMO. The sand would speed it up quite a bit. Definitely don't toss the rock as a quick bleach soak will make it brand new again and is really easy.

One thing to consider... the vermatid will be on your coral as well unless you clip all of them and remount. I'm not sure on that snail's life cycle... if they have a larval state that brings them anywhere else other then your rock (sand, tank wall, sump, etc) then rest assured you will have vermatid again.

If you give up on the idea of wiping out the snails then you could always consider pulling 1/3rd or 1/2 of your rock and bleach it. Replace into the tank and pull the next portion a three weeks later.

As for bacteria cultures, there are many. It seems Brightwell has several claims that they have different bacteria strains to do exactly what you are looking for. From that concept I think you could pick one company like them and decide which cocktails you want to use.

Lastly, your tank has been up long enough... any disruption will release alot of nutrients. Be ready to have some fleece filter socks or other means of quickly polishing the water after going nuts.

3. OP
    klatt

klatt Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

awesome, thanks for the insight!

4. Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

I did this recently and wished I would have kept my old rock. I re-started with new dry rock and have been paying for it ever since. When I first moved things over they did really well but then started to get fluctuations in my parameters and have lost a few SPS. I was in the same boat as you but wanted to not transfer the small amount of aptasia I had and ended up with it anyways so if there is a slight chance of these pests remaining keeping at least half of your established rock would be extremely beneficial in my opinion. Also the move went well with several totes to hod corals, rocks, and fish with small power-heads for water movement if they will be in the totes for a while. I kept about half of my old water and the rest new. Its awesome having a fresh tank but if I was to do it again I would keep my rock or at least most of it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    klatt

klatt Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Thats some good feedback, I appreciate it! Sounds like my best option is just transferring everything from the old tank to the new.

6. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019 Meeting Host 2020

If you do be sure to have a bucket and heater for your fish and coral and give your rocks an aggressive shake to get them cleaner. You don't want to pollute your new water as they will release alot of nutrients if you don't. Then test before moving livestock.