algae turf scrubber vs. chaeto reactor

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by Scott Zurek, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Scott Zurek

Greetings,
    I am currently starting a 120 gallon (48x24x24) build. I already have 200 watts of LED lights and now I am working on the filtration. I am going to have a refugium filled with live rock rubble and either an ATS or Chaeto reactor. Which is better?

2. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

I have used both for nutrient control. My feeling is that algae turf scrubbers are better at controlling nutrients, likely because chaeto grows very slowly compared to the algae that populates the screen on a turf scrubber.

#2 Leicester56, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  3. OP
    Scott Zurek

I would like to use either this Chaeto reactor or this algae scrubber.

https://www.bigalspets.com/wavereef-algae-reactor-with-led-lighting.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Algae-Scru...er/263831491022?hash=item3d6d9511ce:rk:1:pf:0

The algae reactor would have to be put next to the refugium so I would have to have a smaller refugium, but it would be quieter then the algae scrubber. The algae scrubber could be put on top of the refugium so the refugium could be bigger, but it would be louder. I think it would be more difficult to harvest the reactor then to harvest the scrubber. I also think that light might leak into the refugium from the scrubber, and I would have algae problems in my refugium. The refugium will be for just live rock rubble to help breakdown waste, I will not have any macro algae except for the reactor or the scrubber. This will be the only filtration. I will not be using a protein skimmer on this tank.

4. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

I think people seem to have more success with reducing nutrients using an algae scrubber, but you don't get the benefits of a place for pods to grow with one like you would in a refugium or reactor.

Since you already have a fuge, I'd go with the scrubber if maintenance would be easier.

5. OP
    Scott Zurek

I decided to use an algae turf scrubber. I have an AGS 250 on order from aquatic guys. I will be using the algae scrubber above my refugium. Water will flow from the overflow to algae scrubber at a maximum of 350gph. The water will then flow to the refugium which will be filled with live rock rubble. A Danner Magdrive 3 will return the water to the display tank at roughly 300gph after headloss. I will not be running any other filters on this tank. I have decided to use a 55 gallon tank instead of the 120 and I will have about 4.6x flow through the refugium and algae scrubber. I have all the parts to start building the refugium, and I have the lights for the tank. I'm still looking for a 55 gallon tank with overflow.

6. OP
    Scott Zurek

I just got my Algae Turf Scrubber!

Attached Files:

7. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

Good luck with the set up!

• Like Like x 1