Aquarium Lighting 3x Current Marine Pro

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by Scott Zurek, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Scott Zurek

Greetings,
    I am building a reef tank after being out of the hobby for several years. I had a 75 gallon reef tank with 432 watts of T5 several years ago. I decided to use LEDs on my new tank . I have purchased 3x 48 inch Current Marine Pros for a 48x24x24 inch tank. I tried them tonight and they were really bright. Is 200 watts of LEDs to much lighting?

#1 Scott Zurek, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  2. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I would try to borrow/rent a par meter to see where you are at. So many different variances in LEDs now.

3. OP
    Scott Zurek

Where can I rent a PAR meter?

4. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

5. OP
    Scott Zurek

Yes, I can dim both the blue and white channels.

6. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

7. Adam G

Adam G Born to Reef!
    Lifetime Member

Judging by the chart Beav posted you should be in the right ballpark. It says at 24” depth you should have 50 to 105 par. With 3 of them you will get some overlap so I think you could assume you will be on the high end. So at the sand you should have 105par or more. At 12” you should have 300 par or more.

That is perfect for LPS towards the bottom and SPS towards the top. Charting your tank at say 100%, 75%, and 50% with a par meter would be ideal and take all the guess work out of it. That would be the way to go to save yourself months of experimenting.

The other way to do it would be to start at 50% to acclimate and start turning them up slowly over a period or weeks/months. It can be hard to tell when corals are not doing well if it too much light and not enough.

I know Flounder posted a while back that he had one for rent. You could call New Wave Aquaria in Plymouth and see if they have one for rent. I know at one time they did.

8. Thomas E

New wave I know has one if it has been lent out. I've been using the current pro along with 2 200watt zetlights in my 150g cube. The description for the currents are very misleading though. I believe that the 48" pro are actually 50w each for a total of 100w, not 100w each. The description for the 36" reads as "72 watts" but its 2 x 36w.
    If you're planning on doing a Fowler or maybe some softies in a 75g with the currents you'd be fine because they do have a good spread and if you have the bluetooth controller it's easy programming and pretty cheap.

9. Thomas E

Are you using the old version with the dual ramp timers or the new RGB version? The RGB version is what im using, and came to me as 2 x 36w. The older version is 1 x 54w and much brighter but also physically larger and runs off the the dual ramp timer instead of bluetooth.

10. OP
    Scott Zurek