Aquascape advice

Discussion in 'New to the hobby?' started by Joseph Shimizu, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Joseph Shimizu

TCMAS Member

Hello reefers! First time with saltwater and I'm looking for opinions on this rock scape. I do plan of having corals at some point, my first scape is the first photo I show. I had a few mention to me that i need more horizontal space for coral real estate and growth so now I've come up with this! Am I good to go or is there some concerning features? Thank you so much!
    Tank is a 75 gallon. I've left 2-3 inches of space all around
    20200421_030434.jpg 20200426_222410.jpg 20200426_222404.jpg 20200426_222353.jpg 20200426_222149.jpg

2. Nickz

Nickz Nobody
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Best advice I can give is no rockwork over 2/3 the height of the tank, maybe even a little shorter than that.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Nooblet

TCMAS Supporter

Out of curiosity, why the 2/3 rule? Is it to make sure coral have enough room to grow upwards?

4. OP
    Joseph Shimizu

TCMAS Member

@Nickz oh that's good to know. Most the scape seems to be under 2/3s, the exception being the center peak, which I made for the previous scape and wanted to keep. Do you believe that area will be an issue, possibly in the future, or will it be good to have a higher intensity area for more par demanding corals?

5. Nickz

Nickz Nobody

Looking at the pic there won't be room for anything up there to grow. I went 2/3 myself and wish I would have stayed lower in some places. I am horrible with scaping myself I have just learned not to go to high with rocks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    Joseph Shimizu

TCMAS Member

@Nickz not even zoas or something encrusting?

7. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President

What could possibly work is that all the high points appear to be removable so you can remove as things fill in.

Only suggestion I have is make the crevice on the right wider if possible. Would allow a false wall when introducing new fish.

8. OP
    Joseph Shimizu

TCMAS Member

@RSnodgrass are you talking about the space between the middle stack and the right structure or just underneath the right most structure?

9. Nickz

Nickz Nobody

You have to have a scape you like, that's all that matters.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    Joseph Shimizu

TCMAS Member

@Nickz I appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

11. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President

Sorry, between the middle stack and right side. Granted if you are not adding particular aggressive fish this won't matter and there are other options as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

Good suggestions. I think that you can remove the top piece in the tallest wall stack when you want to, so go with it for now. I've never found I had too much room between the rocks and the glass, often the opposite. I always want to add more rock than I need. Its only later when doing tank maintenance that sanity takes over and I start to remove rock to get it out of the way. The small rock on the left front comes to mind, I'm sure a little more space between the rocks and the right side wall would be nice too. FWIW, it looks pretty nice so you might want to just leave it and let it go, you can always change later.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

All good advice so far.
    Another thing to consider is that once an aquarium is filled with water, the appearance inside will change from the refractive properties of water. They say that looking through the water reduces our sense of depth by about a third; so your 18"W will appear to be more like 12"W. It's not a huge factor when aquascaping, but it does seem to be important when you place rocks closer to the glass. What you think looks like a decent gap between the rock and glass will appear to be very close when the tank is filled.
    I try to maintain at least six inches between my rocks and the glass, but I'd prefer it to be even more. As you mount corals onto the rocks and they grow, those gaps will close and you may need to move something down the road.

I agree with @patent about leaving it be for now and you can adjust it later. I only have three rocks in my120gal that's been running for almost two years and I'm still moving that third rock around today!

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    Joseph Shimizu

TCMAS Member

@patent
    @jlanger
    Awesome advice and I really appreciate it. I'm gonna move some rocks around and maybe take one or two out to give me some extra room in the front to clean, like that smaller rock you mentioned. Thank you two.

15. acharpenter

acharpenter Pitas' Pita
    Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Not sure if it was mentioned somewhere else but be sure to have the bottom of the rock work firmly planted in the substrate you go with. I'm always paranoid about an avalanche with my rock work hitting the glass and causing a break/leak etc

• Like Like x 2
  16. BlindSwordsman

I have a 75 gallon tank myself. I usually read through what people say on the forum but I don't chime in because my advice usually does not seem to carry much weight. But maybe I have too much time today so here I am :D ... As for how the aquascape should look, I agree with others it depends on your personal preference. Personally, I usually stack my rocks in the middle of the tank, aiming to leave room on all sides so I can clean the glass on all sides. That also help with the water circulation and prevent dead spots in the tank. Some people stack the rock against the back wall, but fundamentally, that is not advised (it will be impossible to clean the back glass and causes dead spots behind the rocks). When I stack my rocks, I would also make sure that my foundation is stable enough to support whatever I add on and the whole structure won't stumble down and collapse, especially when I have habit of stacking more up when I'm out of estate (other people use inner rods and stuff, I use a lot of super glue and epoxy). I also aim to have caves with entrances going in and exits going out on other side and overhangs (that'll, again, prevent dead spots that collect waste, and also provide the fish some hideouts to call homes). And this is mainly my personal thing: My aquascape and coral placements are also aligned with some diagonal lines (see picture). But once the corals are over grown, it might not matter if there are diagonal lines or not.

march_fulltank_alignment.jpg

Good luck!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. OP
    Joseph Shimizu

TCMAS Member

I made sure to use cut flat rocks for the base supports. And everything overhanging I use some marco Crete on so it doesnt slide or topple down. Thank you @BlindSwordsman and @acharpenter

I'm gonna fill with water and see how it looks. I did end up moving things a little and removed some rock. In order to achieve more spaces between the rock for hides.

18. Anchor

Anchor Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

As it is a couple weeks later this may no longer be relevant BUT.. after looking at Blind swordsmans photo I recall a very basic rule of thumb for artistic view. It is the Rule of Thirds. It is a 2 dimensional view using a tic tac toe board as a rule for placement of objects within a view. Use the lines and intersections for points of interest in a layout. Looking at BlindSwordsman's pic, I can see just that occurring or very close along the lnes.. but not at the intersections.. the diagonals are another method. though rule of thirds is usually easier for a beginner to follow.

Something I think about is rather than creating stacks for supports, try to make steps.. Gives more room for coral placement.

And looking at your scape, I think about what I see first when I enter the room with the tank. If I am entering from the left I might put the tallest column to the far right. (using the tic tac toe thing)the second tallest on the nearest right and shorts in the middle.. Just my thing.. but something to look at when deciding.. You have to look at it every day so you have to be the one to like it.. not the rest of us.

#18 Anchor, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. AmyZ

AmyZ I am just fishy geek that crochets :D

You also want to make sure your rocks are secure to each other....I used the Marco cement for my current tank and have no complaints.

3097A982-B377-4E31-8CD8-92CB82B5C6FF.jpeg

• Like Like x 2