BlindSwordsman's 75 Gallon Saltwater Fish Bowl

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by BlindSwordsman, Jul 27, 2019.

1. BlindSwordsman

So, here I am sitting at the office at work early on Sat morning. Yup! … And I’m just snooping around like usual (and .. Yup! I do that a lot.) And thinking: Hey! Let me introduce my tank and see if I irritate people enough and they want to remove my posting and vote me out of the forum or not, heehee … I know, I know, a lot of people on here have great looking tanks and they are very meticulous about the way they keep their tanks. Most have quite expensive, brand name equipment; fancy, very impressive plumbing system, etc, etc. I myself started my first 29 gallon tank in 2010 (?) after reading a ‘Saltwater Fish Tank for Idiots’ sort of book, and moved on to a 75 gallon tank eventually. I use cheap equipment. I keep mostly softies, some LPS and a few easy to keep SPS like stylophora. My tank is way overstocked and maybe overfed. I’m not meticulous about what is in my tank water (I know I have some salt in it! Haha). Like my username suggests, I’m a 'Blind Swordsman'. It’s not like I’m super good that I hit the target without my vision. But instead, I basically usually whirl my sword, left and right, up and down, and all around, and maybe hit the target somewhere. Yep! I got people rolling their eyes until they almost fell off the sockets hearing about my tank. But, I don’t think it’s too bad. To me, it’s not an exceptional tank. It does have a lot of flaws. But it is good enough looking ‘fish tank’ to me. Ahh, let’s see if I can upload the picture. This tank has been running for 2.5 – 3 years. (I did sabotage 1 or 2 tanks after trying to kill something overgrowing in the tank). Gotta run now :). Have a good day, folks! blindswordsman_july182019b.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Welcome, some people simply have an ability, congrats on the beautiful tank!

The orange zoa intermixed throughout seems to really pull it all together and add the color often missing in softies where the others provide lots of texture.

What's your lights, T5ho?

3. Just4plaay

Just4plaay Junior Member

Tank looks great. I agree that the intermixed orange pulls it all together.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

4. OP
    BlindSwordsman

Thanks. … For a saltwater tank that’s being kept in a manner of a goldfish bowl, I’d say: My tank is 'all right' :D. And I don’t think I’m very schematic about shape, size, or colors. The same thing like planting around the yard, my brain usually says: It looks boring, let’s have some fun, let’s throw a bunch of colors in! … 99% of the time I have no idea what/how my brain perceives :rolleyes:.

I use cheap ‘made in China’ LED lights (the ones that people call the ‘black boxes’, I believe). Another kicker, I run everything under blue (no white) light. That’s the reason why my picture might look a bit off :confused:.

5. KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member

Interesting. Good results it looks like. There's always that ongoing debate on how much if any white is needed. I'd say you're getting along pretty good without it.

What have you got for fish in there?

6. OP
    BlindSwordsman

I don’t think I can disclose what and how many fish I have in my system without having someone feeling an urge to pound down on me about it, haha … I do a lot of things out of the norm.

Regard the lights, I don’t claim to be an expert, but to me personally, I find my blue lights are sufficient enough in intensity to grow/keep corals (and least likely to promote the growth of algae). But the limited spectrum (blue only) on the other hand might be wrong for a certain sort of corals (in term of some certain corals’ colors and such). So, there are possible pros and cons in my opinion.

7. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Very Nice!!!

8. OP
    BlindSwordsman

Trolling again while taking a break from working on my landscape! Now you see some of my fish. Hahaha ...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. RSnodgrass

Well now you're just being a jerk *teasing us ;)

I see that tusk peaking out!

#9 RSnodgrass, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  10. OP
    BlindSwordsman

Darn! I knew some people just couldn't handle that and would call me names. I should have gone a bit more PG. OK! Let's change the subject. Look at my garden, take a deep breat, and relax instead!! .. I'd be better of getting back to working on my landscape now .

Attached Files:

• g1.jpg
      g1.jpg
      File size:
      200.7 KB
      Views:
  11. RSnodgrass

Wow!!! I need some pointers... I may be a lost cause. Getting ready to attempt seeding my back area with wild flowers from American Meadows.

12. NotJacques

NotJacques Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Nice Lillies! ;)

I'm going to do the club a favor and mention that he does occasionally sell frags from that spectacular tank too. I've drooled on his tank a couple times. Nice to see it get some publicity!

13. KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member

Conservation work is my career and I don’t recommend seeding native plants/wildflowers in August. Can be too hot and dry. But, I don’t want to derail this thread further so, carry on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    BlindSwordsman

Thanks! But I still say 'it is really not all that!'

There we go. Pointers from the expert. I myself keep my garden the same way I keep my fish tank. I personally make sure that the plants I want to keep are for zone 3-4. I basically dig a hole, kick it in, then water the heck out of it. Most of the stuff you see there are phlox. Talking about which, I haven't paid attention to where you are located, but if you need some phlox, I have some that you are welcome to come and dig them up for your yard. .. All right! More digging for me now!

15. OP
    BlindSwordsman

I was taking some pictures of my frags, so I zapped some top down pictures of my 'mixed salad' looking tank to post on Facebook for my friends to see. Just regular stuff! But I guess I'll post them here as well. Having a few free minutes in the morning here and 'idleness is the root of mischief' as they might say :D ... Be warned: If someone calls me names again, I'll post more of my flower pictures, hahaha ...

2019-08-25 02.37.49.jpg
    2019-08-25 02.00.23.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  16. Ethan LaMirande

TCMAS Sponsor

Your tank looks insane. I can only imagine what hard work went into it!

17. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Fantastic tank, @BlindSwordsman

We're looking for people to host a club meeting, you should consider it! Lifetime membership is but a meeting away! :)

*Edit: But to host a meeting you first have to attend one. :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. OP
    BlindSwordsman

Thanks! I don’t think the stuff I keep is at all rare or special. They are just mostly regular, easy to keep stuff. Same like my flower garden, I just throw a bunch of stuff in and let them grow. It’s a ‘let’s go crazy, just have some fun’ and ‘hit on the face’ style. Easy to achieve! And ‘it’s no miracle; it grows like it grows’. Hard work? I don’t know if it can really be considered ‘hard work’. The setting up, aqua-scaping was time taking. After that, I just do water change, clean the filter pads, wipe the glass once a week. Once a day, I feed the fish, conveniently use the turkey blaster blow on the rocks here and there afterwards. And that is pretty much it. I should do some cleaning on the sand too, but I’ve been lazy and left that up to the snails (but it’s white). :D

Haha … Honestly, I don’t know how people will react if I tell them: I don’t really know exactly what’s going on in my tank! I just do water changes, and things look all right to me. I really don’t hear anybody (in my tank) complaining!?? … :p

Seriously, I will keep it in consideration. I’m usually tied up by the computer at work on the weekends. This summer is a bit crazy too (stuff around the house, trying to find someone to replace the window, and then I just passed the real estate exams last month and I will have to find a broker to go with (any recommendation? Haha), etc.) But, maybe some day I take some time off and gather people up for a BBQ by my ‘fish room’ on the deck?

19. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member

Good to see everything still thriving under only blue light. Looks like it is getting cramped again over there. I better come back and help you thin some of that out once my move is complete ;)

#19 VikingsCrazy, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  20. OP
    BlindSwordsman

Congrats on your new house (if I’m not mistaken about the house), mister P.!

And … Mmmmm … You know what the weird thing is? My house is small and my tank is small, but somehow I always manage to arrange, and rearrange, and would always be able to add more and more stuff in. I never seem to have a need to get rid of something. Not sure why?!! ;) hahaha … Getting new things is fine but the process of making a space for them is such a headache. But look what I managed to find the space for in my tank this past week! It might not be a high end piece. It does look a bit like an old lady’s bad quilt, but I think it is dappled with different bits of colors and the price was all right … So, about your comment on my tank being ‘cramped’ … ? … Well, the curtains for this little play have not actually been closed yet. There’s more coming next week. ;):D:D:D

And yeah, I have been running my tank under blue lights forever as you probably know ...

2019-08-31 13.10.54.jpg

#20 BlindSwordsman, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 4