Buying/selling at lfs

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by Nickz, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Nickz

Nickz Nobody
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Just a dumb question since I see it come up over and over.
    Why does everyone seem to think selling corals to each other at a lfs is a good idea?

I am not a store owner but have known enough of them over the years to know that nothing would bother them more than having a bunch of people buying and selling the same things they sell in their setting(at lower prices due to lack of overhead) when it just takes away from their business.
    I see it differently when you meet someone to pick something up at a lfs but still do some buying inside their establishment.

I obviously can't read their minds and can't speak for them but it has always been a pet peeve with every shop owner that I have known good enough to have that type of conversation with over the years and just doesn't seem like the right thing to do to me. It's kind of like going to burger king and selling sandwiches to each other

2. marty9876

marty9876 Something funny
    Lifetime Member

This one has always puzzled me also. On one side, by allowing it the store owner is ultimately having more foot traffic in the store increasing the chance of a sale. Considering marketing budgets and alike this is a no (direct) cost option to put more folks in the store. The inverse is rather straight forward, unfair competition regarding pricing. That said, it’s not like folks would not meet in the parking lot of other venues - by not allowing it I can’t image it stops/slows/discourages the practice in any measurable manner.

In the end, I’d say have a clear and consistent policy/stance either way and stick with it. I could see and respect both sides. I met once inside SWE for a transaction and it was weird personally.

3. SuperJay

SuperJay Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I understand the awkwardness of the situation, but like you said the transaction is going to happen somewhere anyway. I figure their is a good chance both party's involved will probably also patronize the store. For example... I could sell a few frags to someone in the parking lot, then we both go into the store to buy some frozen food, filters, coral RX... oh and I just saw another frag the store has that I just have to buy. Cha Ching$$$$ The LFS just got some sales and everyone is happy all around. I have done this and have always felt an obligation to patronize the store. Kind of like when I stop at a gas station for a bathroom break... then I buy a coffee or a candy bar

• Like Like x 2
  4. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member

I can see if there are only two parties and both parties ARE going inside to buy something how it isn't disrespectful. I have met a couple times at a lfs but as a rule make sure I buy something so I dont feel guilty or piss anyone off. Now someone meeting multiple people to make multiple sales seems a little disrespectful when it could be done in any other parking lot. Also kinda rude.
    EDIT: I was not in any way trying to offend anyone with those statements. That is just my personal opinion. Sry

#4 VikingsCrazy, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  5. Flounder

Flounder 185g Mixed Reef
    TCMAS Sponsor

I use to sell at swe, I get $40 from Marty, who also would grab xxxx from fritz, and then I would usually take the 40 and go buy supplies myself. It usually worked well. It also had a community aspect and the chance to keep connected with us reefers. .
    Some of us use the holiday gas station, but there is no gain to nwa which is just a few miles away.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I always ask ahead of time if it's okay and many stores encourage it as they do get sales off of transactions that they likely would not have gotten otherwise... Always seemed like a win-win situation to me anyway.

7. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Bringing extra customers to a store is rude?? Also how do we know people are not asking permission to do this ahead of time.... Lot of assumptions being made. Frag trading and selling could easily be done at any other location but I always figured it was beneficial to local aquarium shops to meet there. Edit: on the surface of it I can see how it could be seen(as rude) that way though.

#7 dougers31, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  8. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President

I personally feel awkward and thus feel the need to go buy something. I think it's a difference of having the decency of not obviously rubbing their face in it and do it out of plain sight of the staff.

If I'm the one selling and don't intend to go in I would rather meet somewhere more convenient.

On a flip side the trading/community aspect of this hobby is often what keeps people in the hobby and thus a potential customer for years instead of months.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member

I have met people at an LFS many times to buy/sell. Mostly because it’s a location both parties know already. I don’t live up there so I don’t know all the convenient places that aren’t hobby related.

That said, I don’t think I have ever once made a transaction in an LFS parking lot where both of us did not also patronize the store we were at. I don’t necessarily see a downside.

I think LFS owners are well aware there is a hobbyist market alongside the retail one. As most of them are hobbbyists too.

Then again, I have many times browsed an LFS and left without buying anything which I’m sure some of you would also feel guilty doing by the sounds of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

I can personally say that I have never been to a LFS and not purchased something. as a matter of fact I can say that I usually spend more in the store than I make or spend in the swap prior to going in the store. I also usually use those locations only because I thought it was generally accepted and/or encouraged. I guess if I got the impression that it was frowned upon by the store owner I would definitely go somewhere else.

• Like Like x 2
  11. happyvalley

happyvalley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member Meeting Host 2019 Meeting Host 2020

I agree with Nick that it’s probably a stupid question.

Waka waka waka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. OldNemo

OldNemo Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I've traded at two LFSs and have been told by one owner in particular that they do not care. As Karen mentioned its a common meeting place whereby both parties end up n the store buying something.

13. OP
    Nickz

Nickz Nobody

Maybe I should have worded the original post differently as there is clearly a difference between a quick small transaction and hanging around making many transactions. Every comment I've seen on this thread is a single quick transaction not hanging out to buy or sell to multiple people over the course of a longer period of time.