Chris' Reef Savvy Shallow

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by ChristopherKriens, Mar 5, 2016.

1. ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens Xenia Lover
    Lifetime Member

After 3 years of maintaining the ELOS 160, I've realized that one of my favorite parts of reef keeping is collecting, growing, and propagating coral. So, I'm adding a second aquarium to the mix, more tailored to that purpose. The first part of its life will be spent as a frag tank of sorts, but it was designed to leave open the possibility that it could some day become a display.

This build thread will commence early enough to actually be categorized as such; prior to any plumbing or equipment choices being made. The tank will be located in our finished basement area. I prefer to have my aquariums integrate into a living space, being self contained and accenting the style of the room and furniture, and even though it's just a frag tank this one won't be an exception. The thread will likely be heavy on photography since that's a part of the hobby that I really enjoy.

I still like to keep things simple, so I'll reserve this first post for specs and photo highlights. Thanks for looking and enjoy!

Specifications

Aquarium Dimensions: 44”L x 40”W x 12”H @ 88 Gallons (44"L x 44"W with overflow)
    Materials: 3 Sides Low Iron beveled glass with black silicone, PVC+Glass Phantom Bottom
    Overflow: 18” Ghost Overflow
    Return: Dual returns on rear panel

Stand Dimensions: 44”L x 40”W x 34”H
    Finish: High Gloss white acrylic, silver door accents
    Access: Dual doors on all three sides with stainless hardware

Photo Highlights

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#1 ChristopherKriens, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. irish02bk

irish02bk Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

looking forward to this!

3. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Looking forward to another impressive build thread.
    Welcome to the "Multiple Tank Club"!

And that's quite the footprint! Lots of top-down splendor to be seen for sure.
    Did I read that correctly? High Gloss White?

4. coralreefer

coralreefer I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Nice man! Cool idea always nice to see a well done grow out.

#4 coralreefer, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  5. OP
    ChristopherKriens

Lifetime Member

High gloss white is correct. The stand was originally built in high gloss black and was being prepared for shipping. It was the first time they had tried this combination of materials and the builder found that the combination of acrylic and such a dark paint was very susceptible to minor scuffs and scratches, and didn't think that it would hold up well long term. The stand was scrapped and started over from scratch with the same materials, but in white. I was originally torn between black and white, but wanting to do something different chose black and ended up with white anyway.

6. OP
    ChristopherKriens

Lifetime Member

I have two options for placement in the room.

The first is nestled into a corner where it would be out of the way. This is more convenient and was my original plan, but is only viewable from two sides and has pretty minimal room for maintenance tasks. I'm also pretty sure that my arm won't be long enough to reach the back corner without my step stool.

[​IMG]

The second is against the outside wall. It takes up more usable area here but is viewable and accessible from all three sides. This strikes me as the more practical choice, but kind of an inefficient use of space and not naturally viewable from any of the seating.

[​IMG]

#6 ChristopherKriens, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  7. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I like the peninsula look. Always wanted a tank that was viewable from 3 sides. Where is the overflow? That would influence the decision.

#7 BEAV9900, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  8. jlanger

Another best-laid plans gone awry.
    Although it would fit comfortably in that corner, I also think it wouldn't be the best for maintenance. And it wouldn't maximize the accessibility you have with the stand. Lastly, it looks like it would interfere with your tv and dolls.

You've described the second wall issues well, but what about the unmentioned wall?
    I'm not sure how much room you need to access under the stand, but what about putting the tank centered between the outlets on that third wall. You may need to slide the sofa towards the desk wall for more room between the tank and sofa, but it may be an option. (I cannot remember the exact layout of that room in respect to the stairs, etc.) It appears that you may have issues with mounting your lighting in the second photo with the can already in place, so the third wall would put the tank under the soffit.

Being that it is a frag tank, do you really need it located in a spot for prime viewing?
    Yeah, I know that even your frag tank will be another work of art, but I'm trying to throw out a possible alternative.

9. Julesm0260

Julesm0260 Senior Member

What about at an angel in the corner. That's how I have my tank. I can see it from all angels, and it's doesn't take up useable room. This is what it looks like:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    sorry about the crappy image. Good luck on your tank!

10. Flounder

Flounder BRS Reef Squad!
    TCMAS Supporter

I know a dedicated space that would fit that tank perfectly, i'll pm you my address!

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. OP
    ChristopherKriens

Lifetime Member

The overflow is centered on the rear panel. A portion of it is external, so the tank will have a modest clearance in the back to allow for it and plumbing.

A man's dolls should not be interfered with. It's funny, the distance between those outlets is exactly 44 inches. Moving the couch means moving the tv and the sound bar (OCD, you know how it is) so I hesitate to go that route, but placing the couch closer to the tv might create a big enough lane for the Eva 500, the daily 15 lap race around the couch. It would be nice to hang the lighting and it would be easier there like you say. I'll have to place it and see how much room is left.

Your point about viewing is also taken; prime viewing is standing next to the tank.

That's not a bad idea. I don't know if the side doors will open if it were positioned that way but I'll give it a try.

I already have your address, how do you think I plan on filling it up? ;)

#11 ChristopherKriens, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  12. marty9876

marty9876 Something funny
    Lifetime Member

I'm sure the rules or attention and maintenance don't apply in Chris' OCD bubble of perfection but 2nd tanks are frequently a challenge for us mere mortals. At least for me; 2nd tanks never get the same love as the primary tank. Point is anything you can to to increase likeliness of maintenance (easier to work on, someplace more likely to annoy you so you work on it etc.) the better. Not sure if a placement within a room vs. say which room in house to put the tank in matters but.... I feel compelled to offer some sarcastic advice with just enough legitimacy to make me feel helpful.

Secondly, did you actually post a build thread without pictures of said tank? That's just embarrassing for someone of your stature.

13. jlanger

So... you have the couch left justified with the tv.
    I take that to mean you get to sit on the left pad and be front and center with the tv and then Eva has to watch from an angle; Rose is upstairs watching something "more important" I'm sure.
    I mentioned moving the couch as it was bugging me that it wasn't centered with the tv.

And there it is... Marty was helpful. :silly:

14. OP
    ChristopherKriens

Lifetime Member

This will be my first "second" tank, so I'll take all the advice I can get. I would rather have one good tank than two mediocre ones, so hopefully I can manage. I will see it regularly as this is where I work and .. not work. Sounds like a vote for easier access.

I do have a couple photos from during the build and packing process, but I think I can do a little better once it arrives.

It is centered. I wonder if it's just the wide angle lens distorting things. Here's a different angle.

[​IMG]

Tank and stand delivery are scheduled for Monday afternoon! :biggrin:

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. marty9876

marty9876 Something funny
    Lifetime Member

Yes, but if I came right out and said that where would the confusion in that be?

Woot for Monday!

16. Fragtastic Reef

Fragtastic Reef We Dont Frag Around! Rare fish and more
    Lifetime Member

This build will be sweet I love shallow reefs. Are you into Astrophotography?

17. coralreefer

coralreefer I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Any idea what lighting you're going to go with?

18. OP
    ChristopherKriens

Lifetime Member

It's arrived.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure yet. Likely Radions, T5, or both.

• Like Like x 1
  19. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Heave that sucker downstairs and lets see this "Piano Gloss High End Glass Fragtank"

20. Flounder

Flounder BRS Reef Squad!
    TCMAS Supporter

The crate looks empty!