ClariSea SK-5000 review/observations

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by Riley, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

I'll be interested in your thoughts as time goes on. What are some other initial impressions? What do you think of the out of the box build quality? Does it feel solid or flimsy?

2. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

I added a ClariSea SK-5000 roller mat to my system but figured a separate thread might be more appropriate so some of this is repeat.
    Build thread here.

It's currently set a couple inches into the water and thankfully was able to fit over the top when installing vs constructing while in the sump.

Screenshot_20190228-041927.png
    Screenshot_20190228-041845.png

Screenshot_20190228-041752.png

Initial observations are this:
    - Fits a relatively small space
    - Seems to be handling quite a high flow rate. My tank has two 1" pipes running wide open with as much flow as possible and this is installed on one which I estimate is taking on 90% of of original capacity. It can be adjusted to take on more if I open a valve. If it was used a normal height stand (mine is tall) the drain would produce slightly less water volume (from height) and it would handle 1 x 1" pipe at full speed I'd bet.
    - See how long the filter lasts as more flow obviously reduces longevity. Others reported months of use. I've not ran filter socks previously so initially may not last as long.
    - Adds about as much noise or slightly more as I've heard in many filter sock applications. I see a couple of possible easy changes that should reduce this. Namely bonding the acrylic pieces together vs using the screws since I know it can be removed in one piece from the sump.
    - Currently creates a fair bit of bubbles out the bottom (see photo) . I think this may be largely remedied by the previous as well another idea I've got. It is not however causing micro bubbles to exist in my display.
    - simply place slightly lower in the water. I won't with my flow but you could and it would work 100%.

More to come.

#2 RSnodgrass, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. RSnodgrass

Packaging was very professional and noticed the paper they use on the side of acrylic is much easier to remove than US varieties. Made me immediately wonder why we do it the way we do.

The fitting was an imperial 1" not metric, a bit loose but still worked.

Built quality is sold once completed as there are a lot of interconnected pieces... adult Lego set. They are also very precise, clean, and easy to place together. I'm glad it's not bonded together initially as it will be easier to modify and I liked putting it together.

The method used to hold the new roll against the motor for winding works fine enough but I have to imagine they'll change it in future models to some kind of clip. I imagine the motor lasting a long time since it feels much bigger then needed and actual use is very little over the coarse of a year. Guessing it will depend on the gears lasting but overseas they've not had issues.

The adjustable angle available for mounting the roll already helped when getting into the sump and after setting up. Because of my tight space, I possibly couldn't have used the unit without that flexibility.

They claim smell is a non event since the roll is dry/dryish on the dirty side. Time will tell soon enough.

Electronics and motor seem solid. I'm sure a later model will be Apex ready. A person could likely diy that without much effort and something I'll certainly look into. IE: no power usage after an hour would indicate failure or an empty roll. Likely someone already has figured the programming out using the existing power supply and reconnecting the float switch directly to a breakout box.

The pieces are all laser cut so I'm somewhat surprised that the grated part (the holes for water flow) are still cut at 90's vs at an angle for smoother water flow. It's possible they didn't because every hole would have had a knife's edge or minimal improvement on noise. If a guy had a file I'd have run one on each hole quick to adjust that angle.

There is a valve at the bottom you can open to let more water out if you have too much flow and allows for you to be way off on your flow needs. It would also extend the life of the paper. For me the valve is above the waterline so it makes too much noise if open. If it was mounted low enough to be below the waterline I doubt I'd consider using it at all.

Easy to make your own design if you want scavenge the electronics or a few parts. For instance a larger basin to extend the paper life and amount of time it's exposed to water.

If anything fails for different reasons or times out there's an audible alarm and it stops. At that point you'd absolutely hear the waterfall out of the emergency hole over the alarm. I am however going to be very careful to replace the roll when it comes to the end of the spool as I don't believe they attached it to the cardboard roll as a form safety measure. If I fail to catch it there will be cursing to try and remove the unit or thread new paper in while in my cramped sump (o:
    *edit, there is tape holding it to the cardboard roll, do not expect it to hold as the motor is much stronger than the tape. It will not pull all the way through the unit though and leaves it within reach to pull backwards. Opening the emergency valve to relieve water pressure when changing the rolls helps relieve a lot of water pressure.

Since the majority of the flow through the paper comes from just the one side (where new paper unrolls) a simple tilt to the unit would likely reduce some noise. Another possibility is a thin piece of foam at the top to dampen sound.

#3 RSnodgrass, Aug 14, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. RSnodgrass

Here are a couple pics that it's working...
    IMG_20180814_162204202.jpg IMG_20180814_162154441_HDR.jpg

5. RSnodgrass

I've got a couple ideas on how to lessen the waterfall effect going on but I'd be curious if anyone else has any ideas. Not the best photo but in general imagine the water flowing through the mat and a grate where it then falls to the bottom of the unit. The space it's falling through is between two layers, the grate it went through and another solid acrylic layer. The gap between them is maybe 1/4" or a bit more.
    sketch1534306506449.png

6. RSnodgrass

Edit, this is a total failure. Works in overflows but not this

Here's my first low tech idea... if it works really well in overflows and filter socks why not this?

Basically gives the water a guide as it falls creating less splashing. There seems to be plenty of room without hurting the flow so I may add more then this if I hear improvement. Bonding actually strips of acrylic would likely be better in that they are able to be added in a consistent fashion.
    IMG_20180817_152911174.jpg

#6 RSnodgrass, Aug 17, 2018
  7. RSnodgrass

Update: I'm a wee bit short of a full month and ran through a full roll. I guess I'd be upset if it didn't pull out so much crud and perhaps they'd last longer if I had all my returns plumbed into it or lower flow... none of which is going to happen.

For fun I unrolled it... it most certainly was not dry but it also doesn't stink UNTIL you unroll it. Three nose stamps of approval.
    Removing without unrolling would have been difficult but this may have been something I did when attaching the roll.
    *edit, I attached it correctly but to remove (easily) you need to take a piece of pvc and push it against the inner drum for better leverage. Pvc because it avoids the screw nubbin.
    PSX_20180904_172454.jpg

Also good news, the end of the roll good rill is adhered so the auto 'I'm out replace me alarm' will work. (this does not always work but that's ok)
    IMG_20180904_163403189_HDR.jpg

Spooling on the new roll was fairly easy minus my cramped space. Just stapled it to the new roll and turned the motor on until it came out the other side. (pulled by hand on future rolls, it's easy and fast)
    IMG_20180904_163744746_HDR.jpg

#7 RSnodgrass, Sep 4, 2018
  8. RSnodgrass

Update, the paper costs 66% more and last half as long as other varieties. The lasting half as long I can handle as it's way more flow so it makes sense. However, when a roll is half the length, narrower, and still costs more per roll it's got to be far superior. Time will tell.

9. zoolan70

zoolan70 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Any way to use a non-name brand filter fabric instead? Milk filter paper maybe?

10. RSnodgrass

I've been sourcing a manufacturer but ran into issues with the stated micron rating likely not being "accurate" as it simply isn't the same as were use to thinking of it. Trying now to figure out which micron provides the proper flow rate.

11. RSnodgrass

Swapped out fleece with bubble magnus for half the price.

12. RSnodgrass

Well after three rolls of bubble magus I tried a ClariSea roll again to compare. The ClariSea is a little stiffer paper which seemed to roll a little easier. Other papers I've tried either are way too flimsy or restricted flow too much to be viable.

Here is a side by side mid roll of each and dried out.
    Bubble magus left, ClariSea right... I guess if a person really wanted you could do before and after weight but my eyes say there's no need.
    ZomboMeme 27022019210631.jpg

#12 RSnodgrass, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  13. RSnodgrass

Messaged D&D tonight about a warranty. The bracket that binds the motor to the drum split in half.
    MVIMG_20190317_181734~2.jpg

14. RSnodgrass

Messaged them last night and they already have the part mailing today. Have to say I really expect it to take a few more days to coordinate this.

I'm also surprised the part split... it's hard to squeeze even with a pliers. I may put a metal band around the next one to be sure but still surprised.

15. RSnodgrass

Great news, they knew I was heading out of town so they rushed out and I already got it today.

Not only that but then they followed up with an email making sure I had gotten the package today.

16. RSnodgrass

They also mentioned to me they are coming out with a 40m long roll in a few months which will be a nice addition for me.

17. gobble

I'm looking at both of these and found your thread. It sounds like they both do the same thing only the BM is half the price? Why do you think the Clarisea pulled more gunk in the picture above? Is it a function of the design of the units or the fleece used. Which would you buy if doing this again?

• Like Like x 2
  18. RSnodgrass

I used the ClariSea and BM fleece in the ClariSea housing.

I can't speak to the build quality of the BM but if I bought it I'd buy ClariSea fleece for it. The fleece simply traps more gunk.

*I'd buy the ClariSea again as I'm happy with the motor. I'd prefer however to modify the housing to add more height for more head pressure and further get more out of the fleece.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gobble

Ok interesting I didn't realize the rolls were interchangeable. One thing that turned me off of the Clarisea was the cost of the fleece so I was looking at the Bubble Magus.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RSnodgrass

I have not done a side by side in terms of timing how long a roll lasts. The BM was less time however it's possible it's still more cost effective.