Clownfish Stocking Sequence

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by RBReefing, Oct 10, 2019 at 2:11 PM.

1. RBReefing

Hello,

I started a Red Sea Nano Max (20 gal). I put in 20 lbs of live sand, 15 lbs of Carib Sea Life Rock and marine pure bio hex gems (rated for 70 gallons). I also have been using Tropic Marine coral salt. I started the tank/cycle 3 weeks ago. I started the cycle by adding a medium bottle of Dr, Tims ( for 60 gallons) and dosing Dr Tims Ammonia Chloride to 2 ppm. The cycle took way longer than I anticipated. The Ammonia was in check relatively fast but the Nitrites took foooorever. I did several water changes thinking that maybe it stalled out. In any event everything eventually went to 0 and for the past week I have been adding Ammonia. Since everything went to 0 initially I have re-dosed to 2 ppm Ammonia and parameters went back to 0 in 1.5 days, then dosed 1 ppm Ammonia and everything went back to 0 in about 1.5 days. (except Nitrates of course, they are at 40 PPM now). I plan on adding 2 Gladiator Clowns and a yellow watchman goby and corals. I was going/hoping to start with the clowns. I was going to do a 50% water change before this to bring down Nitrates.

So my question is... I know people say to add things slowly to allow the bio load/ bacteria to adjust. But because it is a small tank and clowns can be aggressive towards each other how should I add them? 2 at same time and throw in some more Dr Tims at that same time? One at a time? Yellow watchman first? Do the CUC first? I do have a little algae but it looks like it would not support a small CUC for long. I am concerned just with how long the Nitrites took to develop the bacteria into Nitrates that adding 2 at a time will be dangerous to the clowns.

What would be your recommended sequence for adding the three fish and CUC? Could I start now or wait some more?

Also... I run a Apex EL (only temp and PH probes), Tunze 3155 ATO, Jebao r-w4, Red Sea Reef LED 50, and Titanium heater 100w, API SW test kit ( I know upload_2019-10-10_14-16-32.gif ). If any of that matters for the question upload_2019-10-10_14-16-32.gif

I do not plan on quarantining at this point or adding coral for a little bit.

Cheers in advance!

2. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019 Meeting Host 2018

You should be fine adding adding the two clowns at the same time, as well as some clean up crew.

I'm not sure what you were thinking for CUC, but I'd maybe do 2-3 larger trochus snails for a tank your size, or 5-6 smaller ones (I'd honestly start with the smaller one if you can get your hands on them). Red leg/blue legged hermits are fun too, and will do a good job at scavenging for uneaten food; you probably would be fine with 4-5 of those too. I like to buy empty shells from ebay/New Wave so they have something larger to move into as they grow otherwise you'll find your trochus snails quickly being eaten for their homes. Since you have sand, a fighting conch is a possibility, as well as nassarius snails. Nassarius remind me if zombies out of some zombie movie when you feed the tank.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OP
    RBReefing

Thank you Dark Sky, I appreciate the advice as always. New Wave is where I go. Will be making a trip this weekend after I get the water change done.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Follow what @DarkSky says and you'll be golden.

As far as stocking the fish, the goby and clowns occupy different zones in the aquascape so there won't be any territorial aggression between them. The goby is going to stay on the bottom and near/under the rocks while the clowns will stay elevated and find a locale to call "home".
    With the CUC, if you get the Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs, they're not the snail killers that the smaller "colored-legged" hermits turn out to be. Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs do cost a tad more, but they're the only hermit crab that I'll keep in my tanks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    RBReefing

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the Scarlet Hermits. I looked them up and they look awesome! Any recommendation on shrimp or should I avoid them?

6. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator

Shrimp are cool. I don't have much experience with them, other than a few fire shrimp; one of the two I got one went into a powerhead the first day and the other hides 24/7.

From the cleaner shrimp I've seen, they seem to be more active and out in the display doing their thing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

Just don't overfeed in the beginning and you should be fine. Many fish won't eat until they get comfortable anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    RBReefing

10-4 I was thinking of a pistol for the goby and maybe a cleaner. I will ask New Wave.

9. OP
    RBReefing

Any idea of a good time frame until they do get comfortable? 1 week, couple days etc?

10. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator

I've had fish eat right away out of the bag, and some over a week. My yellow coris wrasse hid in a Tupperware full of sand in QT for 7 days before finally coming out to eat.

• Like Like x 1
  11. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

It just depends on the fish. Just speaking from personal experience, I always want them to eat right away, and I struggle to stop myself from dumping more food in every hour until I see them eat.

I usually wait until they start to explore a bit, and then feed lightly (if its a new tank that hasn't adapted to fish feeding yet) once.

12. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Adding a pistol shrimp with the goby is one of the reasons I have more than one tank; they're awesome!
    The Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp is a smaller species that you may not see much until the goby feels confident with you and the other fish. The Tiger Pistol Shrimp is a larger species that is more visible and a workhorse. That said, the tiger pistol can move more sand and drag smaller frags into the burrow while the candy cane is less likely to do so. You don't really have much to worry about adding pistol shrimp with other fishes. There are a few species of pistol shrimp that do not pair up with a goby, but they're not as readily available in stores as the candy cane and tiger pistols.

Cleaner shrimp are cool to watch as they will sway back and forth trying to entice a fish to come and get cleaned. Once the shrimp identify you as a food source, they will come to you and crawl over your hands picking at your nails and skin. Cleaner shrimp are notorious for stealing food from LPS corals; if you intend on feeding the corals prepared foods. It's a risk/reward decision that you'll need to make. I like cleaner shrimp a lot, but I prefer to feed my LPS corals so I do not have any in my system.

• Like Like x 1
  13. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member

You should be fine adding them all together as long as your tank has cycled. I would actually recommend doing it all at once and from the same vendor with only three fish and a small CUC. This will mean only 1 chance at bringing something in to your aquarium. The pistol shrimp are cool but if you plan to utilize your ground space for corals I would advise against it. Pistols will repeatedly cover and move or bring in to its burrow any small to medium corals on the ground of the aquarium. It can get very frustrating. In fact if you really want one I have one that has frustrated me so much he was possibly destined to a toilet flush when I tear down and move some time in the next month. If you would like to save him from the toilet I can contact you when I tear down. ;)

14. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member

FYI... The pistol shrimp is not going to just dig a burrow and sit in there and hang out and chill. He is going to dig a burrow and then dig another Burrow and then dig another Burrow and then dig another Burrow and then dig another Burrow. I think you see where I'm going with this. Dont get me wrong they are a very cool animal. And watching the relationship between the fish and the shrimp is entertaining. I just figured It was something you should be aware of.

15. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator

I don't, please clarify.

16. OP
    RBReefing

Thank you all for the advice! I appreciate it. Stopped by new wave and got 2 trochus, 2 nassarius snails, 2 scarlet crabs, some extra shells, a little baby fire shrimp, and a yellow watchman goby and enough water to do one last large water change from New Wave. I am heading out of town for a week next Sunday so i will pick up the clowns when I get back. I have been taking pictures along the way so I will start a build thread.

Cheers!