Couple freshwater questions.

Discussion in 'All things freshwater related' started by guy9smiley2, Jan 27, 2014.

1. guy9smiley2

guy9smiley2 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

My life has taken me in a much different direction than I ever could have thought and I'm just too busy for my 4 saltwater tanks. I'm keeping everything and going to combine to 2. I miss having a freshwater tank and my roomate wants one as well so were throwing one together for a low maintenance tank.
    My questions are it is drilled. I have loc line. A mag. Etc. ( it's currently not plumbed ) should I plumb it, or just PVC from the bulk heads up and cap them? Going to do a hob penguin.

Is sand harder than just the typical gravel rocks?
    Also so you see any point to wait to add the fish or how long should I wait?

2. BadOmen

BadOmen Senior Member

Will it be a planted tank?

3. OP
    guy9smiley2

guy9smiley2 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Nope. Just fake. Looking to go real simple.

4. Fisherman7

Fisherman7 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

What kind of fish will this be for?

5. Bschowa

Bschowa I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

To be honest a low light planted tank is probably the least work a freshwater tank can get. The plants will absorb nitrates and feed off of the junk that collects in the substrate, with any tank you will need to cycle it, freshwater cycles are the sAme except the bacteria lives in the filter pads rather than the rock and sand

I have a 55 gallon low light angelfish / pleco tank filtered by a fluval 405 and a heater that gets water changes every 3 weeks and never has nitrates over 5ppm the angels breed weekly for the last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Vashjir

A few things,
    First, substrate should be chosen to match the fish. If you are going with tetras/barbs and other community fish then gravel is the way to go imo since its easier to clean and less likely to destroy your filter's impeller.. If you want african cichlids (malawian, tanganyikan or victorian) I'd go with sand so they can display natural digging behavior.

Cap the tank unless you want to set up an auto water change system or plan on putting a wet/dry sump on it.

As for the filter, I'd recommend something other than a penguin. They do a fine job circulating water, but they have a very small bio-filtration capacity, and if you change out the chintzy filter cartridges you loose a huge amount of your good bacteria. A sponge based filter like the aquaclear 20/30/50/70 are much better imo because you can squeeze all the gunk out of the sponge without killing off your bacteria, plus they're designed to hold ceramic bio media too which will increase the bio capacity even further.

As for cycling, either start with a few small hardy fish to get the cycle going, or get a chunk of cycled sponge from someone and stock away. If you need some cycled material and get down to richfield I'd be happy to hook you up.

Oh, and %100 agree with putting a few plants in there. They really do make great nutrient sinks.

#6 Vashjir, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. FishWife

FishWife Senior Member

We have a bunch of water sprite that you could have and maybe even a couple apon bulbs. Let me know if you are interested.

8. Fisherman7

Fisherman7 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Ditto matching the substrate with the fish.

I'd say African cichlids are really low maintenance, especially with hard water. I rarely change the water and they breed like mad! Check out http://www.minnfish.com/forum/ for all things freshwater related. That's where I started out and I think I've seen Vashjir there, unless someone else came up with that great name too.

9. Brent1128

I have 2 or 3 five gallon buckets full of "natural" gravel just begging to be taken. Yours free if you come pick it up. Anyone's for free for that matter...