Do you stir Kalkwasser?

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by H2OHOH, Mar 7, 2019.

1. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

for those of you that put kalkwasser in your ATO, how often do you stir. Was thinking of putting a small power head in my 10 gal ato and hook up to Apex machine

Thoughts?

2. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

I was advised against keeping a kalkwasser filled ATO reservoir from being stirred.
    If you're using saturated kalkwasser, it should be clear. The settlement that falls out of solution after mixing the kalkwasser is full of the impurities that is a part of the mix. If you add a pump to keep the settlement is suspension, it will just get added to your system where it is not wanted. You're better off mixing the kalkwasser and allowing the impurities to settle out of solution and then siphon off the clear solution and add that to your ATO reservoir. You shouldn't be adding the dry powder to your ATO reservoir for mixing.
    The mixing of kalkwasser is delegated to a kalk-reactor where you're keeping supersaturated levels of kalkwasser and are dosing it so the system. And in that case, the kalkwasser is slowly stirred at the bottom of the reactor and not mixed through a water pump.

I will most likely be implementing kalkwasser to my ATO reservoir if my pH level crops considerably once I get my calcium reactor up and running. I have a kalkwasser mixing station all thought out, but I haven't purchased the components quite yet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Makes sense. However, and I am not pulling a @Reefking, but if this is Pharma grade should it have impurities?

When I have stirred, my ph seems to rise in the next hour, almost like it was strengthened or put back in the water column to be part of the next top off

4. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Someone say Reefking and foodgrade! I have some organic bananas to sell you hoho... These organic bananas are grown next to the non organic bananas. However, you will feel better paying a premium for the organic bananas. Same story between food grade and pharma grade...,

5. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Is it possible it didn't stir enough when first mixed and thus the ato isn't as concentrated as thought?