DOS Dosers?

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by DarkSky, Feb 4, 2019.

1. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Anyone use these? What do you think? Are they worth the relatively expensive price? I think my next major project is going to be 1-touch water changes using a DOS. If you have a better water change or doser recommendation, let me know.

2. Flounder

Flounder BRS Reef Squad!
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Loud. Not for next to the tank. But they can move water really far, so no need to put near display.

3. OP
    DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator

I have a fish room behind my tank, so that'd be where it'd live. That's good they can move water a good distance, because the drain line is 8' up and 35' horizontal.

4. Fross

Fross Senior Member

I have been wondering the same. These are really expensive compared to many other dosing pumps, which the others you get 4 pumps instead of just two. Do so many people use them just because they are Neptune and look cool next to the controller, or are they really that much better?

• Like Like x 2
  5. OP
    DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator

Agreed, they are very expensive compared to other dosers. A jebao dp-4 is ~$60, has 4 heads, and can split doses over a period of time that you specify. Neptune integration is the only thing a dose had going for it, I think.

6. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member

And stepper motors

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

7. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Senior Member

I will agree that it is not the most cost effective dosing unit out there. But atleast for me it has always just worked, remained calibrated and have not had any issues with over dosing anything or getting stuck on. I get a nice readout in the apex dashboard on the amount dosed per hour/day/how the doses are split up. To this point, it has worked great for me.

8. Juskr

Juskr Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

So far I am impressed with my DOS ability to perform AWC. It is much louder than I anticipated and would be noticeable in your fish room even with the door closed. Feel free to stop by if you would like to hear it in action.

9. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

I have two. One I got right when they came out. I've been using that for dosing. It is loud, but very reliable and easy to set up. I just set up one 24h interval for each head, then enter the amount I want dosed per day. The DOS works out the timing and amounts of the individual dosing throughout the day.

I just picked up a second one I intend to set up for continuous water change. I still need to set it up. If you are looking for one touch water change I would say they are not really suited for that. The idea with the DOS is to set it up to change X gallons of water per day and to let it work on it 24/7. That way you get nice stable conditions in the tank rather than a large jump for an all at once water change.

10. OP
    DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator

If it runs over a 24 hour period, does it run continuously at low rpm, or for short bursts periodically? Is it still loud when running at low rpm?

11. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

When running over a 24h period it will do short runs every so often. How often and how fast will depend on the amount of water you are moving. It is quieter at lower RPMs, but still quite noticeable when it runs. I initially had mine in the tank stand and could hear it every time it dosed. I now have my sump in a closet on the other side of the wall from the tank and no longer hear it when it runs.

You are also welcome to stop by and see it in person if you want.

• Informative Informative x 1