Drilling a 125 for a shadow overflow box

Discussion in 'DIY Forums' started by Aquarium Junkie, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Aquarium Junkie

TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Hello and hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful weather and large lakes you need to drive thru to get thru a intersection. Any who, Like stated im thinking of drilling my 125 and putting in a synergy overflow box. Question is has anyone used one of these and if so how many beers or drinks would it take to get you to come over and help. HAHA. Its on a pet smart tank and they say only the bottom is tempered so i should be ok.

Unfortunately this is for my chiclid tank and not my SW tank. The wife and i have decided to break it down and do a frontosa tank with sand bottom so i need to plumb in a sump. Love how the wife says " stop spending money on the fish tanks" week later " we should sell all our fish and do just a frontosa tank with sand." lol.

Also does anyone maybe have one of these boxes but never got to install and wants to sell it. Or does anyone have a rear drilled 125 that they would like to sell?

2. danknuc

danknuc Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I would be willing to help drill it. I have a portable drill press that works well for drilling tanks and I have a variety of hole says that may work. Need to know what size hole you need to check to see if I have that size hole saw.

3. OP
    Aquarium Junkie

says they need a 63mm drill bit

4. spsick

spsick Acro-poor-a
    Lifetime Member

63mm is correct. I’d recommend a new bit as if one wears out mid-drill it can really ruin your weekend. I’ve found bits from them to be higher quality than BRS.

5. OP
    Aquarium Junkie

i was planning on buying 2 bits for for the box then a couple for the return lines

6. OP
    Aquarium Junkie

plan in just buying everything needed from synergy, bits, bulk heads and plumbing for the box

7. bigtime45

bigtime45 Junior Member

I put one of these on my 40B and drilled it myself with a cordless drill. I got the bit from them. It comes with a template for the holes. If you do it yourself, take your time, don't rush or force it.

8. OP
    Aquarium Junkie

Ok. Sounds easy. I'm guessing it's like drilling tile. Which I did for my last job.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. Fross

Fross Senior Member

I just put a modular marine box on my 90. They send a bit with the box. Worked fine for the two holes I drilled. It was my first time drilling, and everything went well except for a 6 inch gash across my palm from the glass disk, but that's because I'm dumb.

10. OP
    Aquarium Junkie

Ouch! but good to know. Easy to use with blood spilled. lol i cant see it being to hard. Need to hurry up and sell these cichlids so i can start on this project too. Wife is going to kill me. Haven't even finished setting up the 60 cube and already starting another tank project. Oh well. She loves them when they are done.