Dull zoas

Discussion in 'Zoanthids' started by HouseofStark, Feb 4, 2020.

1. HouseofStark

HouseofStark I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter Meeting Host 2019

Morning everyone!

Looking for some help with a couple of zoas. I've noticed lately that my eagle eye zoas and some scrambled egg zoas are looking dull and kinda "glassed over" I'm suspecting it might be from too clean of water, I've been trying to get some nutrients back into the water column. Does anyone have some suggestions to coloring them up? I had been stuck on zeros, with nutrients close to a month now...been feeding much more as of late, plan to get some more fish added to help with nutrient load.

Dkh 9.0
    Ca 440
    Mg 1340
    K 400
    No3 1 as of this week, was stuck at zero
    Po4 .04 as of this week, was stuck at zero
    Running hybrid LED/T5 and they are around 200 par

IMG_7641.jpg

IMG_7637.jpg

#1 HouseofStark, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  2. whotzler

whotzler Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Maybe its just me, but just by looking at the pics your zoas look pretty nice. Your numbers look spot on, even the lighting, that is where I am keeping my exact same colonies. Nutrition is the tough one when keeping numbers so low, I have the exact same issue, No3 undetectable with API kit and Po4 anywhere from 0 to 0.09 with Hanna checker. With numbers that low its hard telling if you are feeding the exact amount the corals consume or if you are way under. I run filter socks, a over sized skimmer and a fuge, so its no surprise there are no left over nutrients to detect with the test kits. To ensure my corals have nutrients available I feed the fish heavy twice a day, a small dose of reef roids in the morning and small dose of reef chili in the evening by small about 1/5 of the instructions, but I do this daily to ensure nutrients are available. This method may not work for every tank, export and import have to be balanced. I think your on the right track with adding fish and feeding heavier.

3. OP
    HouseofStark

HouseofStark I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter Meeting Host 2019

I'll keep pushing on, I know the eagle eyes towards top were once colored like the polyps next to the rastas, but have slowly faded. Ya I struggled with high nutrients for a long time, the zoas loved it, and I reacted by feeding sparingly because of it. After a month or so, like you, socks, skimmer, fuge and biocubes, running a bit on the lean side. I currently feed twice a day, rotating between mysis and LRS in AM, and pellets in afternoon. I feed corals roids, chili, and marine snow once or twice a week. With more mature tank, I think its time for one or 2 more fish :)