Emerald Crabs

Discussion in 'Tridacnid and Inverts Forum' started by H2OHOH, Dec 14, 2018.

1. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

are you in favor of having one or two in your tank. Have Trochus snails right now, but have some patches of bubble algae here and there

2. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

I've used them before, but I'm not sold on them ridding a tank of bubble algae.
    First off, you need to get females. They tend to be the ones that eat the algae. And those that do eat the algae, they don't seem to eat it quick enough to eliminate the algae; they may keep it in check.
    I've had better luck with a specific One Spot Foxface that devoured the stuff, but then I had another that wouldn't even look at it.

I've also had luck with dosing Vibrant to get rid of bubble algae; something else to consider.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Anybody know if any local stores carry Vibrant

4. jlanger

AcanLord.
    For me, that’s local.

5. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I’ve been meaning to get over there, maybe tomorrow. If you want let me know we can meet in Hudson

6. spsick

spsick Acro-poor-a
    Lifetime Member

My one spot foxface also kept it at bay. With emeralds I’ve found you need to buy more than you want to, like / per 2 gallons as some die, don’t eat it, etc.

7. jlanger

Send me a text if you plan on it. I have some things I need to get myself.

8. Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

I'm always keep emeralds in my tank and I have never had bubble algae. Coincidence? Probably. I have read many reports similar to what jlanger said. Some will eat some won't, and it's not real efficient. But i do like keeping them for the funs.

9. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

Vibrant eliminated it from my tank as well, though it was the last algae to go. I have great skills in growing algae, had many, many types. The Vibrant took awhile to kick in, but when it eventually did (a couple weeks in) it eliminated the algae one species after another over the next couple months.

I've tried Emeralds, didn't really have as much luck with them, though they did keep in in check. I had about as much luck with manual removal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019 Meeting Host 2018

I added three to my DT and they mowed down some patches of hair algae I had. I usually have 1 or 2, they seem to be good at pulling the roots out on algae in your rocks. I had one in my 10g that had bubble alage and it seemed to keep it under control.

@H2OHOH if you go the vibrant route and have any macro alage, it'll nuke that too, just an FYI. The stuff works well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. jlanger

Thanks for mentioning that, Jeremy.
    Don’t use Vibrant if you’re utilizing an algae scrubber!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

I agree. They are cool to watch. They are hit or miss with eating bubble algae. If you get one that eats it they are great. They do not do very well eating the big stuff. You can manually take the big chunks out. Then try this technique... Turn off your pumps. Then take a 6" to 12" long piece of stiff air line tubing with normal airline tubing attached to one end. Cut the normal airline tubing long enough to reach from your tank to a bucket. Take a blade and while using suction from your stiff line hose from the tank in to the bucket cut it away from the rock and suck it and any spores that break off down the tube in to the bucket. Same as if you are cleaning the gunk out of your sand. Make sure you have some saltwater made up in case your sump runs low. Every so often a piece might get stuck. Don't get frustrated. This does actually work. Once you get the majority of it out especially the larger pieces a few emerald crabs should get the rest or at the least hold it in check. I hope that helps and all made sense!

13. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Naso loves it in my tank, big and small BUT... anything that eats it will spread it. Pop goes the weasel.

Coraline growth is my next biggest threat. It out paces the growth and smothers it. Not sure how long the spores inside are viable but it's probably awhile.