Finally Joined the ATS Club

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by infinityends, Jul 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. infinityends

infinityends Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

I've been interested in using an ATS for quite a while. Probably since back when David Grigor posted all of the information he gathered after using an ATS for years. I just never got around to building or buying one.

I picked up a Turbo Aquatics ATS a couple months ago and finally got it installed this afternoon. When I had initially set up my 90g I had a primary return and a secondary return that ran through a UV sterilizer. As well as a herbie drain setup.

Since my secondary return pump failed a while ago and I haven't been running the UV, I decided to modify the drain system into something of a cross between a Herbie and a bean animal drain. So I pulled the check valve and lok-line to leave a bare standpipe, trimmed and moved around the vinyl tubing to connect it directly to the ATS from the second standpipe. Reduced the flow through the primary standpipe to get enough water flow. Other than needing to tighten the seal on the bulkhead that came loose in the process of converting the return to a drain, everything went about as smoothly as I could have hoped. Now it is just a matter of letting it grow some algae for a while before doing my first harvest.

[​IMG]

#1 infinityends, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member

I'll take a look in the morning. I tested that before launching the new server though and it worked at 2pm today.

3. ikserk

ikserk Administrator

Seems to work. What browser, version and platform are you using?

4. OP
    infinityends

Tired uploading jpeg and png copies of the same file from both safari and chrome on MacBook. Tried to add them to a media library too. Got the same error from chrome on my Windows machine as well.

Only other guess is that the original image from my iPhone is HEIC, but that is why I converted it to jpeg and png to try and upload it.

Let me do it from Tapatalk... *shrug*

#4 infinityends, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  5. ikserk

ikserk Administrator

Hmmm I just tested with mobile chrome from Android. Will test more in the morning.

6. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2019

Looks like an L4. Have one myself and it grows algae like crazy.

You are running it from a drain? The recommended flow through it is 400gph. You might have trouble getting to that level on a drain. I finally went to a dedicated pump on mine.

7. OP
    infinityends

Yeah, I figured I'd see how the drain route goes first. But assume there is a decent chance I'll need to switch to a dedicated feed pump.

8. Ben Nicholls

I went the route of drain, then split off the return pump, and finally separate pump.

The problem I had with using drain is not enough head pressure to get the correct GPH. The ATS had enough flow restriction the drain would not run at full capacity.

With running it off the return I had trouble balancing the ATS flow with the tank flow and had difficulty keeping the tank overflow level correct for Herbie as the ATS filled and its flow restriction increased.

A separate DC pump lets me set the flow to the ATS right on the recommended amount.

9. OP
    infinityends

Just curious, did you have issues getting it to run quietly prior to using a pump to generate sufficient flow?

10. Ben Nicholls

ATS noise was pretty much related to the amount of water going through it. The more flow the more waterfall noise. It is probably the loudest thing in my sump, but still not obnoxiously loud. Just running water noise.

11. OP
    infinityends

Are you using the flap/valve included with the ATS or a traditional gate valve? My noise is more so from the water returning into the sump, rather than the sounds from inside the ATS. Thinking it may not be enough flow to create a sufficient siphon to eliminate air bubbles and associated noise from the water returning to the sump

12. Ben Nicholls

I was using the flap for several months, but it never seemed to do anything. Right now I just run the main drain so it goes about 2" under the sump water level. The emergency drain is a couple inches above the water line. The ATS is usually full enough after about 5 days to have water running out the secondary drain and by 7 days when I scrape it, a lot is running out there.

When I first set up I usually scraped once every 2 weeks.

13. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

I recommend using a dedicated pump to feed the ATS unit for a few reasons; some mentioned above. A couple other benefits to using a dedicated pump include the controllability of the pump itself. If you have the pump running through a controller, you're able to dial in the flow rate (DC pump) along with conveniently shutting it off/turning it on during maintenance. And you're also able to use the controller to alert you to any issues from the feed pump. If the feed pump were to remain turned off for a long period of time, you run the risk of the algae drying out and/or burning from the lights being turned on during that downtime. (This could also be accomplished with using a flow sensor on the feed from your manifold; if using your return pump.)

14. OP
    infinityends

I concede, a dedicated pump is going to be necessary.

I slid the lights over again to get another look at how the water was moving inside the ATS now that it has been running for about a week and while the screen is wet and water is running across the whole surface. Once the flow is spread out that much, there is definitely not enough flow. I wanted to try using the drain because it was less power consumption, heat and equipment, as well as I know that David had success with his DIY ATS being fed off of the drain. However, I did not consider how much more water he was likely running through the drain on his 180g vs my 90g. And I haven't asked how he handled source flow for the ATS on his former 75g, or his current 80g.

15. mbauma

mbauma I contributed!

I'm using a sicce 2.0 for my Clearwater 200 and it appears to be working fine.

16. OP
    infinityends

I've been running this L4 ATS from TurboAquatics for a while now. It does a good job of producing algae and helping keep the tank clean, overall I like it. I did end up moving the ATS to using a direct feed from a spare jeabo dc pump I had laying around. It can be kind of a pain to pull the screen since I'm a bit limited in height under the stand. It wouldn't be an issue if I replaced the 40b sump with something a little smaller. I bought the Turbo a while before I actually got around to setting it up. If I had been buying one when I actually installed it I would have gone with the one @jlanger sells because the design with the slide out drawer would be much better for my available space.

The only real issue I'm having with it that I've been struggling with is the amount of salt creep I get in the sump. Because the ATS sits over the sump a ton of microbubbles end up in the first sump chamber and I end up with a ton of salt creep forming because of them. I've installed a valve and a reducer to help reduce this to an extent. But it is still a fairly significant problem. I've found threads on R2R where people used mesh filter socks to help stop the microbubbles. But I stopped using filters socks for a reason, and don't really want to be making sure to swap them out all the time so that the ATS doesnt back up and overflow due to a clogged sock.

I've considered adding a few 90 degree elbows to make sort of a U bend where plumbing would come down from the ATS, turn back up and then back down for the final outflow of water. Then maybe drill a hole and run a piece of airline tubing out of the top bend to allow collected air to escape. I'm not sure how practical of a solution this is though, seems like it could be more trouble than it is worth and I'm not sure that the micro bubbles would have enough time to collect for the venting tube to even be useful. It also assumed that the water flow out of the ATS is slow enough that water would not also be coming out of that section of plumbing.

Maybe, go for something simpler.... down from the ATS, then just a 45 or 90 into a long straight piece of pipe to allow the bubbles to collect. I dunno, I'm sort of grasping for straws a bit.

I'm fully open to suggestions for any possible solutions to this issue.

17. Ben Nicholls

Do you have the ring with the flap in it that goes on the primary drain? That is supposed to make the drain tunable so it is full siphon without bubbles. I've never been able to get it to help and have since removed it.

I've been wondering if a gate valve on the main drain might work better. Then you could run it like a herbie overflow and have the main drain full siphon with the backup drain to handle the rest.

18. OP
    infinityends

I replaced the flapper valve with a standard valve, but even tuning it there are so many bubbles since you cant really get a full syphon without having water start to back up into the body of the ATS. I think it would be doable if I was running the ATS externally where I could let a couple feet of plumbing fill with water rather than directly over the sump.