Freaking Trident

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by Fross, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

This is mainly a rant. Part warning with a moral.
    I have been running my trident since it was first released. For the first few months I regularly compared it to my standard test kits because I didn't trust it. After a while of it being solid I stopped my own tests.

About 2 weeks ago I put in new reagents and ran the calibration per usual. Tests all seemed normal with what they were previously. Over the past week my Ca has been regularly climbing to the point it's up to 674 on the trident. Just for fun I broke out the Hanna. 286. Ran it 4 times and each was 285, 286, 286, 287. Son of a bitch.

I have a CaRX sitting in the sump not running because I dont really have much in the tank besides a few new sps frags so I was ok with the fact that my Ca would never really go down. I do water changes twice a week so I figured maybe I was adding more than I was consuming.

Nope. Just a big fat lie. So the moral is do not trust a single source. Check it twice.

2. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Yikes. Did an air bubble get stuck in a line?

3. OP
    Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

I dont know. I feel like it's a calibration issue. It didn't just jump up to 674, it's always been in the high 400s low 500s and I've decided that was due to frequent water changes and nothing much in the tank to use it up. If it had just stayed there I may have never noticed. It's just slowly gone up over a week and I decided I needed to figure it out. I actually went into it thinking the reading was accurate and I had a different issue like my salt being way to high in CA or ny CaRX was leaking.

4. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2019

I've only had that happen when they tried putting less in the bottles and it was sucking air toward the end of the reagent bottle. I have not seen it since they went back to overfilling.

Which calibration procedure did you use? The one were you do 3 consecutive tests first?

Check inside it and make sure none of the lines have come loose and are leaking. Also check the lines to the bottles and make sure none are kinked. Slowly climbing values usually indicate it is putting in less reagent than it thinks it is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. coralreefer

coralreefer I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

The SPS frags have survived this?