Freshwater Filtration

Discussion in 'All things freshwater related' started by H2OHOH, Jun 8, 2018.

1. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Can you use a traditional sump, with filter pad, and bio balls for Freshwater tank

What is the key to freshwater filtration

On a 50 Breeder

2. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

You can certainly use a sump, filter pad and bio balls for freshwater. I think generally you don't need a sump, just more complication than most freshwater tanks need, but it would work. Many freshwater filters do use a filter pad, floss, or some other type of mechanical filtration. Bio balls probably work better on freshwater than on salt.

3. AmyZ

AmyZ I am the MOTHER
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

I prefer matten filters for freshwater filtration.
    Almost zero maintenance, I have one I've been running for 2-3 years and haven't had to clean it yet

4. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

There's not much of a difference between a sump and a typical external power filter. They're both boxes for placing filtration media outside of the display.
    Advantages for a sump would include the placement of heaters, more filtration options/capacity and no ugly boxes hanging off the back of the display.

5. capman

capman I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Brad S (in the MAS) was telling me about these (and about the fact that the U.S. dealer for these is a local guy/MAS member - drawing a blank on his name at the moment). These seem almost too good to be true - this seems like very impressive filter material. I keep meaning to try this.

I need to read up more on this ( http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/mattenfilter/ ), but I''m wondering whether this would be the way to go for my marine quarantine/treatment system that I'll be setting up soon (along with a protein skimmer)?

6. AmyZ

AmyZ I am the MOTHER
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Local guys name is Stephen and the website is swisstropicals.com
    As for marine not sure, but had them running in all my freshwater tanks for years no issues

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

7. Discus fever

I would argue that sumps have been used on freshwater as long as they have in saltwater. You may want look at ceramic media or denitrate to replace or at least supplement the bio balls. Plastic bio balls do not help with nitrates much at all. You will probably find it harder to maintain low nitrates in freshwater compared to a reef. Just do your water changes :)

If you have serviced canister filters at all you will appreciate the ease of changing media in a sump. If you do go with a canister, my favorite is the API ( formerly Rena) filstar XP series.