Got some new zoas and palys :)

Discussion in 'Softy Corals' started by dougers31, Jul 2, 2020.

1. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

So after work this weekend I was perusing facebook and I see Shane Cook(Coral savers) had a huge live sale... I had no plans to buy initially until I started scrolling though the pics... Now 15 frags are coming next week;)

I believe he still has some nice zoas left but not sure. He had plenty of lps Keep in mind that these are imported so can be a bit riskier than aquacultured.

I also got some nice frags a few weeks back from Reef Collective and a buddy from NJ. Will try to post a few pics of those too.

No idea what these are but they look pretty awesome...
    upload_2020-7-2_21-42-13.png

Not sure on these but maybe some type of sunny d variation or maybe candy apple something or other.
    upload_2020-7-2_21-44-33.png

Again, no idea on these but this was the only frag available so I sniped it ;) Probably the one I'm most excited about. I also got a frag of the ones at the bottom.
    upload_2020-7-2_21-48-22.png

He had several frags of these and some might still be available... Looks like a candy apple pink or maybe moneyshot/jubilee. Nice either way :)
    upload_2020-7-2_21-52-12.png

When I have time I'll post some of the aquacultured frags I got a few weeks ago. Thanks for looking!

Now the challenge is to see if they will do ok, thrive, or melt. Wish me luck...

#1 dougers31, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Ok, I promised more pics so here they are. Group 1 on the left is from a buddy on the east coast and group 2 is from Reef Collective. Will try to post names top to bottom, left to right. My goal is to eventually have the largest collection of zoas/palys in MN... at least the largest that 60 gallons will hold lol.... I really need to set up another tank ;)

upload_2020-7-6_11-26-7.png

Group 1
    God of War
    Deadpool
    wwc superstars(2nd try)
    Reverse Hallucinations(2nd try)
    Mr Spock
    Not sure... not gobstoppers or aog's
    Kung fu
    Not sure... red face green tentacles
    Ice Phantom
    Banana munchers
    Rainbow Trolls
    wwc Tazer
    Omegas
    Blood diamond
    Frozen armegeddon
    Latin lover(2nd try)

Group 2
    Tutti Fruiti?
    Not sure... ice blue zoas with some other zoa on there
    Psychosis :)
    Some type of large cats eye zoas
    Two little zoas?? green rim with intense yellow mouths
    Some type of large goldish paly/zoa.

I usually have about a 70%(give or take) success rate with new polyps and have been experimenting with different lighting and feeding. Usually what happens is they multiply but get smaller. I used to feed reef roids and reef chili a couple times a week and that didn't seem to hurt. I also have been using amino acid for the last few months(half dose) which seems to have done some good things for acros/montis... But now am going to try some phyto(dead) and feeding more frozen food(much of which will be directed at the polyps). I used to feed frozen maybe once or twice a month and used new life spectrum pellets for the majority of feeding. Probably going to do at least twice a week for frozen and see what happens.

Also, the new zoas from coral savers should be here Thur and can post actual pics after that point.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019 Meeting Host 2020

Just guessing that you can't be far off with the most varieties.

4. RSnodgrass

Interesting to hear what you have done, I never had any luck with zoas until my last tank. Main change was feeding my fish more as I had more in general.

5. OP
    dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Actually when I saw the success you had growing the Gobstoppers I sold you you're one of the main reasons I'm going to try feeding more Frozen :)

6. RSnodgrass

Ha! It does make a mess and they are right there for it, makes sense.