Have You Ever Been to the Reefking’s House?

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by H2OHOH, Feb 10, 2019.

1. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Or the Holiday gas station? It is to @Reefking as Graceland was to Elvis (ironically another king), Monticello was to Jefferson, and Notre Dame was to Rudy.

I would like to share with you a small story that you too can pass on to future generations. I tell you this tale with humility, for I fail often at this hobby. We have probably all been there. But this is the king of the reefs. The Poseidon of Minneapolis. I will try to share this tale without Sharing too much of what goes on beyond the mighty OZ’s curtain.

You walk down into the basement, after you get past the guards (in this case towering buckets of salt), you see tank...tank...tank. If you are a LFS or regional distributor and run out of salt, call the king of reefs. I don’t know how many total gallons in his system, but I would estimate about ~20 Ecotech VorTech pumps, and I don’t know if one was a MP10, if you could sequence all of the 60s and 40s his house might fly.

Now imaging a LFS with thousands in equipment, and even more in live stock. Keep in mind you need to wear protective glasses for it is so bright.

You name the coral, chances are he has it or is in the process of getting it. But only a few fish. He probably has more invested in equipment than I would care to know. I would love to know his electric bill, but he wouldn’t share. Probably best.

Now, it tell you this fable not to judge or ridicule. For he is the king and I am a mere peasant. Not because I am with out fault, far from it. But when you think of his basement, it is more of a lab. After the good lord rested after making the heavens and earth, the Reefking probably plumbed his basement.

So, to the story. The Reefking has a newer tank that he is running in a completely separate system. His plan is to do only high-end, rare, and unique corals. However, he has been struggling to get this tank going. Why I don’t know, he is the king. But he has. Reefking does very little husbandry. He checks his water parameters with the cycles of the moon. He says his senses are more accurate than the new Triton coming out. So for fun, I took a sample of water home to test. I don’t think he even has test kits. Most of his parameters came back fine,accept a couple. I use Salifert tests, his calcium was so high it went off the table. His Alk was 13+. Now I tell you this story not because he told me his Alk was 8, and he was way off. We have probably all been there. I tell you this because the king has some multi thousand dollar calc reactor, looks like it can split an atom, which is new technology to the king. And he has never once tested his water parameters since he started it up about 6 months ago. Dozens and dozens of coral now rest in his back yard. I don’t even think that is funny. But the man says he can sense water parameters

Now, a man can store his heaters in the garage if he wants. He can but desiel fuel in a non-desiel car, but this one was awesome to even me. Hail to The Reefking

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Dilly Dilly!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

One word: Pulitzer.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Flounder

Flounder BRS Reef Squad!

This thread is worthless with out pics!!

• Like Like x 6
  5. Flounder

Flounder BRS Reef Squad!

Esp of the mysterious CaRx

6. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

20190128_232231.gif

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mordim

Mordim TCMAS Event Committee