IM 10 Gallon Revamp

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Kyle T., Jan 15, 2020.

1. Kyle T.

Kyle T. Big Footed Ginger!
    Lifetime Member

I’ve had a nano system for about 2 years now after a 3 year hiatus from having an aquarium due to college life. I initially set this up as a 17g Mr. Aqua nano with a custom sump and a stand, but upon moving out of that apartment into something smaller I switched everything into a Innovative Marine Nuvo 10 since it has a smaller form factor and is AIO. I haven’t really gotten into corals at all because of my indecisiveness on what I want to focus on (softy, LPS, SPS, or even NPS) and the fact that I’m working on putting together a 40 gallon system to do SPS (leaning towards something along the lines of the WWC/BRS Hybrid method). After stumbling upon some stunning IM 10 gallon tanks on Nano-Reef I feel inspired to actually get my act together with this tank and go full reef. Since the 40 breeder will be acroporas, I may lean heavy SPS mixed reef to at least have small pieces to pull from when the larger tank is ready for coral.

Inspiration tanks: Cannedfish and teenyreef

Currently the tank isn’t in great shape with hair algae everywhere, no CUC, and likely high nutrients from the heavier feedings and minimal filtration. You’ll see what I mean in the pictures… Anyways, here is a peak into where the tank started and is currently.

Tank: IM Nuvo 10g AIO

Filtration: Filter caddy with purity pack, IM Ghost Desktop skimmer

Flow: Vortech MP10WQD, standard return pump and nozzle

Light: AI Prime HD with 18” gooseneck (AB+ spectrum from 10:30am to 7pm and half hour ramp time)

ATO: Smart Aqua Micro with 3 gallon bucket as reservoir

Livestock: Royal gramma (have had for two years), Tomini Tang (2” specimen I acquired for the larger tank I’m setting up), and two green ricordia mushrooms

Maintenance: I do a 2-3 gallon water change twice a week on a good week, but usually only once per week or two. I started dosing vibrant two weeks ago at the aggressive control dose and have noticed that the mushrooms have since shriveled up and the hair algae is easier to remove. Once a week I’ll change the purity pack in the basket and empty the skimmer cup.

A couple of notes… I removed the MP10 a week ago due to mounting being in the way of viewing and I couldn’t get it to stay on the glass after the last water change for some reason. I have also taken the skimmer offline as I was never getting any skimmate with the lack of a foam head being produced. I think there is too little happening in this aquarium to get reliable skimmate production and that there are better ways to manage dissolved organics and nutrients with a nano of this size.

Combining my experience with the information I found digging through high quality tanks of the same size, here are some changes I’m planning on doing in order to steer this tank back in the direction of being a reef. I will also be planning to change up the aquascape to open it up better for corals.

Tank: IM Nuvo 10g AIO

Filtration: Filter caddy with filter floss and media bags for GFO/Carbon (buying bulk product to save money), Transforming the middle chamber into a refugium with horticulture strip lights from Amazon.

Flow: Aquamai KPS wifi powerhead, possibly upgrade the return pump to the DC Innovative Marine pump and possibly the IM Spin Stream return nozzle

Light: AI Prime HD with 18” gooseneck (AB+ spectrum, may play around with timing so it’s viewable for more of the day)

ATO: Smart Aqua Micro with 3 gallon bucket as reservoir

Maintenance: I’m considering doing smaller daily water changes of .5-1 gallon to simulate an automatic water change. I’d do it by hand since it can be as simple as scooping out and replacing the water (two minutes to complete). On top of that I’d do a larger 2-4 gallon water change once a week. Aside from that there would be changing out media as I currently do (though with more regularity), harvesting macro algae as needed, and doing a monthly cleaning of the back chambers. I’m also going to go back to having a sandbed in this system and save barebottom for another time in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

3. OP
    Kyle T.

Kyle T. Big Footed Ginger!
    Lifetime Member

Having given more thought into the revamp I’m thinking of just starting this one over from scratch. I want to redo the aquascape to be more coral friendly. I’m also wondering if there is some way to better utilize the back chambers for macro algae better than the ways I’ve seen, possibly using two of the chambers rather than one and just making it all a fuge area.

My significant other, whom I live with, also let me know that after getting their associates they need to finish their bachelors degree and it looks like we will be moving out of state which will mean the 40 is just going to be equipment until that move happens in a year or so.