Kalkwasser

Discussion in 'New to the hobby?' started by mushroom fishes, Feb 12, 2020.

1. mushroom fishes

TCMAS Supporter

Possibly a simple question to some of you but here goes.
    I dose with kalkwasser in the ato but my tank has lids that cover 2/3 the top of the display and I don't loose enough water for the ato to keep up with the calcium demands. I'd really rather not make the tank evaporate more to keep the calcium up so was thinking about pairing kalkwasser solution on a dosing pump. Has anyone tried this. Or should I give in and take the lids off to increase evaporation.
    And someone is going to suggest it but I would rather not use 2 part just because it seems kinda complicated with mixing all the micro nutrients. Kalkwasser is easy so don't want to change.
    Ok let's see what you all have to say and thanks in advance

2. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member

if your topoff water is already a fully saturated Kalkwasser solution, then moving Kalkwasser to a dosing pump (which is the best way to do Kalkwasser in my opinion) will mean that you can change the amount of calcium and alkalinity going into the tank, regardless of evaporation. This is true.

However, to get your Kalkwasser dosing increased to the demand of your stony corals will mean that you are now also adding more water than is being evaporated through your dosing. Your ATO would never run and the tank/sump will eventually overflow.

Things to try: be sure that your kalkwasser solution is fully saturated. I think its 2 tbsp per gallon (someone double check that, its been a while since i've used Kalkwasser).

If you are already saturated, you can read up on adding vinegar to the kalkwasser solution which allows you to dissolve additional kalkwasser in the same volume of water.

Or you can bite the bullet and increase evaporation by removing lids, or adding a fan across the top of the water (in the tank of sump if you have one). Note that a fan will also cool the water temperature as well.

apart from that, you may have reached the one limitation of kalkwasser, how much calcium and alkalinity you can jam into a fixed volume of water.

3. OP
    mushroom fishes

TCMAS Supporter

True I hadn't thought about that it would overflow the tank.

So I guess that means I have to move up to 2 part then. My thing against it is what I've read on it you have to add micro nutrients and magnesium I think in order for it to work properly. Right now I get micros from water changes. Or will 2 part work with just weekly water changes 5-10% depends on nitrates. Don't know cuz I've never used it so just going off what I've read and saw on brstv.

4. Nickz

Nickz Nobody
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

I use a dosing pump 100ml per hour overnight when I started using it. If that's enough to overflow a tank you have other issues anyway.
    I was up to 150ml/hr 24/7 before I swapped it to a calcium reactor. I tried in my ato at first but it was too much too fast and cooked a few corals that were near the return

5. ikserk

ikserk Administrator

if you're relying on water changes for "trace elements" now, that won't change with a move to 2 part. Kalkwasser does not contain trace elements, neither does 2 part. Magnesium needs to be maintained either way as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

What @ikserk said. Kalk is only maintaining your alkalinity and calcium needs.

Two part does the same, but allows you to increase your levels further than kalk would without overflowing.

You could keep using kalk, test, and do daily/weekly catch up doses, if you prefer. Find out what your demands are by testing now, testing again in a week with your current kalk dosing, then use BRS' 2 part calculator to determine what you need to dose to get back to your desired levels. Spread that dosage out over the week by dividing by 7.

7. ikserk

ikserk Administrator

one piece of why 2 part is attractive to would-be dosers is its concentration. But, with great concentration comes great responsibility. The high concentration of 2 part can lead to precipitation if not dosed into a high flow area or if alkalinity and calcium are does near each other simultaneously.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2019

What I'm currently doing for Mg and trace elements with 2-Part is put Balling part C in the ATO water and watch the Mg levels to know how much to add.

• Like Like x 1