kicking around getting out. Questions on the process

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by JS_racer, Mar 4, 2019.

1. JS_racer

JS_racer Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Say all, i've been kicking around getting out for a while now. just lost my rescue furbuddy to kidney failure after 17 years, so this may be adding to it.

Questions are how does this typically work ?? this may seem like a dumb question, and i am sorry if it comes off that way. i realize i can't pull the plug on the tank and let it dry up.

My equipment i don't need to sell, and not sure its worth or value,
    i'm sure many have been down this path, and after 12 or more years, it might be my turn.

any help, loose guides, thoughts or opinions sure would be great. Thank you so very much for your time.
    Joel

#1 JS_racer, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2019
  2. Mandarin_Jake

Mandarin_Jake Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

A lot of us have come to this point in the hobby, where you might just a need a break, it's okay. Pm sent!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    JS_racer

JS_racer Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

not sure why a moderator edited my post, i was not looking for sales, just a quick description of the situation. foolish me for thinking i could make a post and get a bit of advice, i made no mention that i wanted to or would sell anything, equipment or otherwise.

"Your post in the thread kicking around getting out. Questions on the process was edited. Reason: edited to remove the list of items potentially for sale since this is outside of the classifieds forum"

4. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

I've seen a lot of exit methods. Most fall under the general types below. You also may want to keep some hardware if you think you might be back at some point. Also if you just need some help on the tank let the club know. Lots of us will pitch in when someone just needs a hand getting a tank under control.

1. Sell it all as a package. This is fairly difficult as you are limiting yourself to only buyers who are looking for a complete setup. You usually won't get as high of a price and it will take a while to find someone. Last time I took a break I used this method as I did not want the hassle of parting out and I wanted to give a new person a good deal on getting into reefing.

2. Part it out. This is the most common. Sell the livestock first, then the equipment. You usually make the most money doing it this way, but you have to deal with the hassle of individual sales.

3. Meeting/silent auction. I've seen a couple done this way. You host a silent auction and sell off most of the items in one day. This only really works if you have enough good items to attract people to it. Most likely won't get as much as parting it out.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

What I've seen a few people do that are getting out of the hobby is they'll list all livestock and equipment for sale, but won't part out the equipment until the livestock is sold (so the tank can keep running obviously).

Bundle the rock together in a package unless you have tons. Not a lot of people want your old substrate if you have it, so that might just have to go in the trash.

Keep what you want if you think you'll get back into the hobby in the future. Used equipment tends to sell for 75%-50% of the new price, so it's hard to sell off everything only to need to buy it all again in a year.

6. Flounder

Flounder BRS Reef Squad!
    TCMAS Supporter

But don't be one of those guys who saves their equipment because they think they're going to get back into the hobby. Only to find out that no one's using vho t12s anymore. Or wet dry systems.
    Half of the fun for me is getting new equipment. If I get out, I would keep nothing but pictures and memories.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Mr. Flounder,

It would be a sign of the apocalypse if you left the hobby!