KJo's IM 50 Lagoon AIO

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by KJoFan, May 8, 2020.

1. vikingr8der

vikingr8der Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

I got a red mithrax with an order from TBS, been reef safe as far as I can tell for over a year. Lots of attitude, doesn't hide when I'm playing in the tank like all the ones I've been removing so I like it a lot. 2019-08-03 15.30.59.jpg

2. vikingr8der

vikingr8der Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

I like it. Are you purposely not having sand in the front and just having it in the back?

3. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member

I am. I only really have sand at all because I have two leopard wrasses. So it’s mostly to accommodate them. I kind of meant to keep it more toward the back than it ended up, but I’m not bothered by how it turned out either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

How are you liking the look of the Coral+ bulbs over the Blue+ for supplementation?

I'm in need to replace my old bulbs and I had a pair of the Blue+ bulbs in my cart but they got bogarted before I placed the order. Since I need to wait for bulbs to be in stock, I might into the Coral+ bulbs if they're in stock before the Blue+ bulbs.

Photos look great! I imagine you're feeling much better now than this time last year!

5. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I like the combo of blue+ and coral+, it takes away a bit of that over washed blue. So I’ve got two of each in the Aquatic Life fixture along with running the Coral Lab AB+ schedule on the Radion. It’s a nice balance.

Starting with live vs dry rock is night and day I think. Of course it’s very early days yet but I think starting this way puts you months ahead of a dry rock start.

I do have an anemone in one of the rocks I’ll probably need to try to remove at some point, but so far so good otherwise.

I think the hobby is actually going to be fun again!

I did also spot one of the red mithrax the other night, but I don’t see much of them. Maybe they are scared by the big emerald in there.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fishfoo

Fishfoo I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member Meeting Host 2019

Very nice! How’s the copperband been? How long have you had him? My luck with them hasn’t been the best so I’m taking a break from them for a while lol

7. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

So far so good with the copperband. I bought him and put him in QT on March 8th. And with the tank change he stayed in there until going in the new tank about a week ago. So a little over two months.

I worry that he doesn’t get enough to eat but we’ll see. I don’t want to pollute the tank trying to get him food either. He’s a fan of masstick and mysis shrimp as long as he can compete for it with the others.

My long term success hasn’t been great either. They tend to eventually waste away for me.

8. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Not much new to report. Alk is slowly starting to decline, I’m guessing more because of the vast amounts of coralline on the rock more than anything. So on the list this weekend is setup my DOS and mix up my DIY All for Reef.

I pulled the copperband back to QT as I didn’t feel it was getting enough to eat competing with the others and didn’t want to start massive feedings and polluting the tank. I also observed it tussling with the Kole tang. I only put it back in QT this morning but so far it’s not interested in eating. Hopefully this isn’t the beginning of the end.

I’ve got a corkscrew anemone that came as a hitchhiker I’m going to have to do something about I think. From what I read they can get big and I don’t need it bothering corals and eating fish.

I do have some diatoms and green film algae starting on the glass and other surfaces.

On to some photos from today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Looking good. Love the color of the rock. Some don’t care as much for the coraline algae, but I think it adds a ton to the reef.

10. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Good luck with the copperband.
    Tank looks great and I love those leopards.

11. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I prefer the look of lots of coralline on the rock vs. not. I’m hoping the rocks from the first shipment get seeded soon as well.

I always feel like it’s a sign of a healthy thriving reef.

12. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

@KJoFan

Maybe I missed it, but are you running aquaforest in this tank as well?

Do you use all their products including salt and component 123?

13. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I’m not, only because I didn’t want to buy two DOS for the component 123.

I have some Reef Salt left I’ll probably use up but that’s about it. I have nothing bad to say about Aquaforest, just opted to switch it up this time.

I mixed up the DIY All for Reef today to give that a try. If I’m pleased with that, I’ll go for the ATI Essentials Pro.

I have a whole unused kit of the original ATI Essentials, it it also requires 3 dosing heads. So I don’t know what I’ll ever do with that. I’m a hoarder.

The only Aquaforest products I am thinking of using is the Life Source stuff. But going to let the tank settle in before trying it. Plus, like most everything these days it’s hard to find right now.

14. Beth Johnson

Beth Johnson Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

You're tank looks great!!!

15. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Thank you!

As I am starting fresh I find myself looking at all the options again . I am happy with ati essentials, but it doesn't hurt to look around!

16. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

That was basically me as well. Good time to try something new. Aquaforest isn't the cheapest of routes to take, but I think it's a very solid choice. I did end up buying some Life Source from BRS this morning, so we'll see what that's all about. I see people loving it on the FB Aquaforest group.

17. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I went about 2/3 of the way in on AF in the past and had good colors. Then they were outta stock when I needed more so I stopped and had a bit of a mini crash as the tank adjusted to the lack of little bottles. I notice most of the programs are great as long as you don't stop them

Don't mean to detail your thread! Happy to see the corals making a turn for the better!

18. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

That's why I was a little hesitant to choose All for Reef, given the difficulties in finding it in stock, but we'll see.

And no worries, a build thread is better when it's not just a monologue by the OP. :)

19. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2019

Tank is looking great!! Corals are all fleshy and colorful and the abundance of coralline growing is a great sign. Looks like you’ve gotten the correct combo of live rock, light, and additives.

20. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Thanks! Early days for sure but starting out good. Alk is starting to fall slowly so I fired up the DOS this weekend. I’m sure all the coralline is a big contributor.

I really think starting with at least some live rock is the key. I opted for entirely live rock because I was paranoid.

And that LED/T5 combo is hard to beat lighting wise.

Looking forward to how this progresses. I’m a little concerned about nutrient control at this stage but will be adding some Seachem Matrix as soon as my new InTank media baskets arrive this week.

Also hoping to add a drop in algae scrubber at some point as well.

• Like Like x 1