KJo's IM 50 Lagoon AIO

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by KJoFan, May 8, 2020.

1. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member

The bad: the Copperband didn’t make it. I think I’m done with them. I’ve tried a few over the years with no long term success.

The good: the DOS is up and going with All for Reef. Still dialing it in to figure out how much is needed to maintain alk. Alk has dropped about 1 dKH over the last week, currently at 7.7

Another upgrade arrived today:

[​IMG]

I plan to run Seachem Matrix in the bottom of each one, Phosguard in the middle of one and Purigen in the middle of the other. Unfortunately the Purigen failed to arrive. I’ll run filter pads in the top of each.

It’s coming together, but I fear nutrients are a little high as I could clean the film off the glass twice a day. Or maybe too much light but I’m only running the Radion at 35% max. And the T5’s for only something like 6 hours per day. So I wouldn’t think so but hard to say.

AWC is changing about 1/2 gallon every 12 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mordim

Mordim Just keep reefing
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member Meeting Host 2019

I only need to clean my glass 2-3x per week with lights on 14 hrs with 2hr ramp up and down.

My guess is that you are correct about the nutrients.

3. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I am running some gfo but I know nitrates are a little elevated. Hoping it’s just that new tank settle in period.

I might do a larger water change come the weekend too just to try to get a handle on it.

The first several days glass was crystal clear. Now that whatever cycle happened is complete the nutrients have arrived. Good times. :)

4. Fishfoo

Fishfoo I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member Meeting Host 2019

FWIW, When I first started up my 40 I ran both phosguard and purigen and it proceeded to strip my water clean of all nutrients. Just make sure you’re keeping an eye on nutrient levels after putting those in as they’re super effective :) maybe start with half the recommended volume and move up.

unless you’ve used these both before and are familiar with them then just disregard lol

5. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I am a little worried about that once I get everything going so I’ll for sure keep an eye on it.

Right now I’ve just got 2 week old gfo and some carbon in there. But will be swapping those for the phosguard and Purigen.

I mostly am using the phosguard to combat silicates that seem to slip through my ro/di no matter what I do.

Good tip though, I’ll for sure watch for it. Don’t want to swing nutrients wildly.

6. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

The bad news first: I lost my Kole Tang this week to what I think must have been a bad case of gill flukes. One night I noticed his mouth staying open and labored breathing. I dosed some prazi pro and left it overnight.
    I got home the next day and found what I expected to find, the Kole dead. I’ve had this happen before in the 150 with a wrasse. It’s strange and goes quickly.

The good news: I added this guy yesterday. A Blue Spot Jawfish. I was concerned because it got missorted by UPS and was delayed by a day. Fortunately, once I made the shipper aware they contacted UPS and upgraded delivery to Saturday. I wasn’t sure how things would turn out but it arrived safe and sound and active after 48 hours. These folks have my repeat business for sure. TSM Aquatics is where I purchased from. On the recommendation of [mention]OldNemo [/mention]

[​IMG]

Aside from the fish drama things are coming along. I’ve had a little trouble keeping alk stable but I think it’s a lot due to windows being opened and closed off and on affecting ph and thus alk readings and growth. I’m eyeing one of those new Ice Cap CO2 reactors though.

7. Anchor

Anchor Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

As I am lazy, sort of. Could you recommend a few places to look for reviews on the Icecap? I am thinking of building a twin cylinder DIY thing.. but If I can get one cheap enough I would go with a manufactured one. My acrylic DIY has been lacking.

8. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

It’s pretty new so not sure there’s much out there yet for user reviews.

Here’s basically an unboxing video from Premium Aquatics though.

9. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

I want to like your earlier post for the jawfish, but I want to dislike it for the loss of the Kole Tang.

I tried the CO2 scrubbing media with my old system but I was burning through the media very quickly; noticeable color shift within a day. Replacing the media was going to be very cost prohibitive, so I chose to run the airline outside of the house. I hope you have better results with this reactor and it works for you.

"Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"

10. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened with the Kole. It'd been through full QT twice...hard to say. I did intend to move it along to someone else eventually as I didn't think it was going to be happy long term in my smaller tank, so I might be a little bit ok with the fact I don't have to try to catch it out of there, but overall Koles are one of my favorite fish so sad to see this one go.

The BSJ has found a spot to peek out today and is surrounding his spot with rubble. Also eating frozen so I think he's over the trauma of his 2 day journey. I know BSJ's are hard to keep long term, so fingers crossed he can have a good life. It's one of my favorites already. They have such personality and are fun to watch. Luckily he's set up shop facing the front of the tank....for now anyway.

As for the CO2 scrubber, unsure what i'll really do. Just an idea I'm kicking around. I could run a line outside the house with where the tank sits but I'd prefer not to if I can help it. I thought perhaps with a smaller volume tank now media burn through wouldn't be ridiculous, but maybe that's not really how it works. Guess I'll just have to ask everyone, people and animals in the house to cut back on the breathing. :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member

CO2 media consumption would be determined not by volume of water, but by the airflow through the media and the CO2 content of the ambient air

12. Anchor

Anchor Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Isnt running an airline to the outside a bit prohibitive in the winter months around here?

Thanks for the Link by the way..

13. jlanger

Not for me.
    Once the airline enters the wall, it's a larger diameter pipe; 1" or 1-1/4". The pipe is finished with a couple of fittings that have a piece of screen inside to prevent insects from getting in. The final fitting is an elbow turned down to eliminate water/snow/ice from getting in.

14. Anchor

Anchor Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

I was thinking of the temp more than anything. does the air warm enough for this? No condensation inside the house?

15. jlanger

There's about 30 feet of pipe inside the house before the air reaches the water, so the air temperature has no effect on the water temperature.

16. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I would think the warm moist air escaping the house would eventually freeze and clog up the line in the winter. But apparently not an issue?

17. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Some shots during today’s waterchange:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019 Meeting Host 2020

Everything is looking pretty dang great!

19. Fishfoo

Fishfoo I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member Meeting Host 2019

Agreed, looking good! That zoa rock looks awesome.

20. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Thanks! Things are coming along. I have been slowly adding some sps, but it's kind of nice to have a majority soft and lps, especially in these early stages and everything is really doing well. SPS are even doing decently, a few of the brown ones from the old tank I kept have at least shifted to green pretty quickly, so hopefully they're on their way to recovery as well.

I like that zoa rock. The Tubbs Blue on there are a coral I've had about the longest at this point. It's survived a few tanks/moves. The rock is really kind of big for this tank so I've thought about selling it but hate to give up the Tubbs. Maybe I can frag some off and start the colony over.