Lanthanum Chloride (LaCl3) thoughts, anyone still using ?? vs tmz nopox

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by JS_racer, Mar 11, 2019.

1. JS_racer

JS_racer Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

hello, trying to get my 120 in shape, has very high phosphates, nitrates.
    I read the long 7 page thread from a few years ago, and looking for thoughts on how that worked. does it work well for removing po4 from the tank and rock, countered after with a bit of gfo ??
    i can do water changes to get things down, say 25 to 40g ?? but how often, every day, every few days, week ?? Home made nopox is another option, i still have some TMZ mix nopox formula, i could use. i also have a few reactors, and could use the HC gfo, but thinking i'll smoke it very quickly with high and most likely rock leaching.

thoughts, opinions ?? tank has a few lps, lots and lots of RBTA, 4 fish.

2. Gary

Gary Started in '96
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

Lanthanum works great, I wouldn't hesitate at all. Do it right though. This weeks live stream from Melev's Reef has some discussion around Lanthanum. Mark uses it exclusively in his huge tank. He said he never has used anything else including the GFO. His test results show his iron as almost non-existent though. I'm not a proponent of that idea. I actually dose iron to enhance the green coloration in my corals. Not a lot, only about 10ml/month.

3. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

It works great, but if you aren't careful it can work too well.

A couple quick thoughts, start very slow. You don't want to drop your phosphates too quickly, can shock things in there. Also, if you dose too much, it can drop alk on you, etc.

It won't exactly remove p04 from rock. It will bind to it from the water column, and if its then removed (e.g., though a filter sock or other mechanical filter) its removed from the tank. As the po4 exits the water column, some will leach out of the rock and can then be removed as well.

4. warnerto

warnerto Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I ran on my 150 mixed tank.. Dosed using a power head feeding a reactor full of filter floss.. Quit after a few months, problem went away.. Just built a nitrate reactor dosing nopox into that now.. Basically a very slow feed into 4in pvc tubes filled with balls and rings, inoculated with bacteria.. Just a week in, working well so far.. Tank is just 2 years in, trying to stay ahead of things..

Slow go with the Lanthanum will do the trick for Po4..

5. Nezw0001

Nezw0001 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

I dose it very slowly and super small amounts in my 450g. It drips into the overflows and any precipitate is caught by the filter socks. Be careful not to bottom out phosphate. Start slow and test frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. OP
    JS_racer

JS_racer Senior Member

any more info on this setup ?? i have tried the nopox tmz flavor before, don't recall if it did that much for me. i do have high nitrate and phosphate, so something for both would be good.

my thought for the Lanthanum was to lower levels some, not to hit 0 , and to use if the rock releases more on a bounce, i do have hc gfo too, i plan on using after. i will be going very slow, small amounts, just to get it moving in the right direction. I have a Hanna Ultra Low Range Phosphorus Checker, so that should be good to see movement.

thanks much for the information, i sure appreciate it.

7. OP
    JS_racer

JS_racer Senior Member

Well, here we go, 2ml in 1l
    Iv is fine tuned. Dripped in to a huge 10micron filter sock.

Goal today, put a slight dent in phosphates, and get the solution in before the sock overflows. Lol

Doing 1 small drip per second, zero chance it should drop phosphate to 0, I have 1 return going to the 10 micron,, could do both, but that should be enough off a eheim 1262,
    Hope my rate isn't too fast, I can easily slow it, this might take many hours, 100ml solution in say 45 minutes, remember there is only 2ml in the 1L. And this probably won't dent my phosphates lol. I chose 2ml since it seems very safe for my 120g tank plus sump.

Thoughts or opinions here?? Or seems OK.

Attached Files:

#7 JS_racer, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  8. Nezw0001

Nezw0001 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

should work fine. Im doing 1.1mls straight solution, not diluted, daily in my 550 total water volume and phospates are declining very slowly. Loosing about .10 per week