Lightning Blue Maroon Bully

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Forum' started by AaronBliss, Mar 7, 2019.

1. AaronBliss

AaronBliss Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

So I picked up a pair of Lightning Blue Maroons a few weeks back and all was fine until a couple days ago. The female is relentless with bullying the smaller male. Its at the point where I had to separate him or he wasn't going to make it through the night.

Anyway, I have him in the fish acclimator box so they can still see each other but not sure if its worth trying to make this relationship work. Has anyone had success with temporary separation or is this a lost cause? I may be looking to return him (if possible) or trade away... bummed out

FYI she is nice to the other mates (flame back pygmy angel and burgundy wrasse).

My profile pic is the culprit in case you're curious.

2. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

Maroons are hard to pair up. There has to be a massive size difference, and even then she sometimes rejects him (by which I mean kills him). I have paired up maroons by doing what you are doing, putting the male in a visible acclimation box for a time. Can't recall how long for sure, but it was long enough that he healed from the first battle, and was ready to go again. I released him, they fought a bit, and he went up to hide behind the acclimation box I'd left in the tank. Took a couple rounds.

My advise, if the size is even remotely close, return him.

3. OP
    AaronBliss

AaronBliss Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Thanks for the feedback. The size difference is definitely noticeable, but not sure I want to put him through another round of abuse.