Montis in a primarily acro tank

Discussion in 'SPS corals' started by TravelingPotato, Jan 15, 2020.

1. TravelingPotato

TCMAS Supporter

Hi all, I recently rebuilt my 57gal tank to be a primarily acro tank running zeovit. The tank has finished cycling and is sitting with just a few fish right now so I am starting to think through my plan for corals. For those that have sps tanks, do you regret having plating montiporas with acros? I like the look of them but I have heard that they can out grow acros and shade them. If you have a mix of the two, what are your strategies in aquascaping to reduce fighting between them and shading?

2. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member

@jlanger will have a wealth of opinions on this matter :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. infinityends

infinityends Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

If you are worried about them overgrowing acros, I would suggest just placing them low in the tank where they will mostly be shading the sandbed. IME Montis are pretty bulletproof, so the reduction in light from being low in the tank shouldnt be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gary

Gary This all started with "Rivers South Reefkeepers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

I have my Monti's on the bottom of the tank. My hope is that they will grow and encrust the bottom to form a colorful carpet of Montipora goodness.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I am in the same situation. I am just starting to put corals in my new tank. Its going to be primarily sps with some softies/lps in the lower areas. I really like the difference in shape and texture the montis give in a stick heavy layout. I just purchased a monti and a scroll coral that I plan to have located below the shelves where the sticks will be and over mostly sand so that I'm not shading usuable real estate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Flounder

Flounder 185g Mixed Reef
    TCMAS Sponsor

I am taking down my tank and redoing the aquascape bc of corals like montipora. No more. Plating or not, they take over and I am not a fan. Also wont do Meteor Shower Cyphastrea again. When they get too happy....they take over.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flounder

Flounder 185g Mixed Reef
    TCMAS Sponsor

If plating monti would only grow the plate direction....then maybe. But they encrusted as much as they plate

• Like Like x 1
  8. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019 Meeting Host 2020

I regret putting in my tank and no amount of kalk paste will kill it all.

Treat it like GSP, on it's own section to be easily maintained.

• Like Like x 1
  9. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2019

I like to have both types of SPS, even in a nano. A platting coral is such a distinctive look for a reef and its unique to the branching corals you'll place at the top.

Keep them on the bottom and sides of the tank. Keep them trimmed consistently and it should be fine. If they are attached to the middle or top of rocks it means you can pretty much never keep any corals near it as it will shade and encrust over everything.

• Like Like x 2
  10. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. nox.rupaw

nox.rupaw I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member

Monti’s are fun. I just like to put them on tiles and not on the main rockwork

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  12. infinityends

infinityends Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

It's been a while. Happy to swing by and take anything you are getting rid of ;-)

13. Flounder

Flounder 185g Mixed Reef
    TCMAS Sponsor

Leng sy, Christmas monti, Meteor Shower Cyphastrea. It's all annoying

• Like Like x 2
  14. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Those encrusting montis prevent algae growth by taking up surface area though, so that's one positive right?

• Like Like x 1
  15. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

I have opinions, but I'm not getting wealthy off of them.

Your first consideration is which type of montipora corals are you going to keep; plating, encrusting and/or branching.

As stated, keeping plating montipora corals beneath acropora corals is obvious.
    I also found it a good practice to mount a plating montipora frag to a piece of rubble so that the growing edge doesn't make contact with a disc or rock. As the coral grows out and develops it's shape, the growing edge isn't attaching the coral to the main rock work and thus becoming a problem down the road. I was able to remove a large colony (24"L x 16"W x 9"H) from my reef in one piece because it was only attached to a small piece of rubble rock that was glued to the reef. If the growing edge of a plating montipora coal starts get close to another coral of the rocks, it's time to trim it back.

Encrusting montipora corals seem to be the nastiest of the three types. Since they just spread out over whatever they're attached to, they will overgrow whatever doesn't kill them. It's best to place these in isolated areas away from potential risks. I once had an encrusting montipora completely overgrow another montipora coral species. I do keep them in my tanks, but I like to place them where they can do the least amount of damage if they grow too well.

Branching montipora corals can be treated like other branching corals. They do encrust some when first placed in your tank, but once the tips start growing you're pretty much in the clear as they will continue to branch out. If a growing branch does make contact with another coral, it will encrust over the other coral and keep growing.

I like montipora corals; really like them. Montipora corals will be the only SPS corals in the tank; except for my two Oculina frags.
    I have started placing frags around the aquascape and the plating corals are restricted to the bottom third (so far) while the branching montipora frags have the upper third. I have placed a few encrusting montipora frags in key locations so I'll have to see how they grow into the reef.

• Like Like x 2
  16. OP
    TravelingPotato

TCMAS Supporter

Thank you all for some great suggestions! Looks like the concensus is that it is fairly safe to do as long as you are careful with placement. I will probably avoid encrusting because they seem less easy to contain them. It is only a 3 foot tank so there isn't a ton of room to separate things but I will try at least one plating and see how it goes.

17. Flounder

Flounder 185g Mixed Reef
    TCMAS Sponsor

Over the past year I was just gluing corals on top of encrusting montis bc I was out of rock space. It kinda worked. Looked odd, but when you need space...you need space!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

that is a great pro tip and I will be using it when I put my monti in today.

19. whotzler

whotzler Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Love the montis. They are a staple in my tank, but they do need to be maintained. Going into your tank and doing damage control will need to be part of your maintenance schedule. I counted 11 monti colonies in my setup, I think. Crusting, Branching and Plating.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  20. Gary

Gary This all started with "Rivers South Reefkeepers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Nice looking tank!

• Like Like x 1